• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single barrel whiskey is a scam. Fight me.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Not a scam in the sense that it isn't aged or isn't an actual whiskey (looking at you Templeton rye) or cognac or whatever, but in the sense that it's retarded to pay a premium for it. Single barrel to me is simply a marketing term to get you to pay more, for the same damn thing, because they stuck it in a smaller barrel yet all other things are exactly the same, assuming they are aged the same.

Additionally, and I've had this happen with both whiskey and cognac, a single barrel bottle to another single barrel bottle of the exact same alcohol have tasted differently. It was to the point that we thought it wasn't even the same brand.

So with that said, single barrel is for dumb people*.

* - Unless all they produce is single barrel. Because then you're just stuck.

True, single barrels of the same product are often vastly different. That’s often the fun of it; finding a store or a group that does their own pick, assuming you get to try it ahead of purchase, can yield a very tasty pour.

In the bourbon world, single barrels are not smaller in size, however.

I am proudly stupid. Blended whiskey and bourbon are for women's mixers. Except blended Johnny Walker Blue....

Seriously though with some brands it is really a marketing thing but with good stuff single barrel and single pot does mean something good...better.

I won't fight you though Germans know beer and German beer is good.....better.

Not a scam in the sense that it isn't aged or isn't an actual whiskey (looking at you Templeton rye) or cognac or whatever, but in the sense that it's retarded to pay a premium for it. Single barrel to me is simply a marketing term to get you to pay more, for the same damn thing, because they stuck it in a smaller barrel yet all other things are exactly the same, assuming they are aged the same.

Additionally, and I've had this happen with both whiskey and cognac, a single barrel bottle to another single barrel bottle of the exact same alcohol have tasted differently. It was to the point that we thought it wasn't even the same brand.

Have you tried EH Taylor small batch next to the single barrel or Michters single barrel rye next to the 10 year single barre? Definitely different and in a good way. In the case of Michters, is it worth the difference in $40 and readily available vs $230 on the secondary market (because that’s the only place to find it generally) ??
    Depends on your priorities or maybe just if your poor or not.

Reactions: Supersubes

That’s part of the charm of single barrel whiskey. It’s also the reason blended exists. If you must get exactly the same thing every bottle, regardless of your location on the globe, blended is of course for you.

Go be poor somewhere else.

Just stick with the cognac. Thats the one thing the French are good at.

The stuff is pricey but occasionally worth the expense. Ive tried many including the Louis XIII but the best Ive had is a bottle I picked up in a little shop in Atlanta. Went in to get something else and the guy was out but brought back this dusty bottle and said it had been on the shelf for years, Courvoisier Grande Fine, 60 years old.That was in about 1985 so I figure it had gone in the barrel before Hitler invaded. I paid about $65.00 for it. It was like liquid gold going across your tongue. I just looked and its now selling for a small fortune.

1618093515625.png

Courvoisier 60 Year Old Grande Fine Champagne Cognac ...​

https://www.wine-searcher.com › find › courvoisier+60...

... Eaux-de-Vie). The name br ... Stores and prices for 'Courvoisier 60 Year Old Grande Fine Champagne Cognac' | prices, stores, tasting notes and market data.

Reactions: Kein Mitleid
    I prefer blends honestly. I’ve had plenty of single barrels that aren’t pleasant to drink. The blends taste much better to me as they can really tweak the profile to provide a smooth sip. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: lash
    Have you tried EH Taylor small batch next to the single barrel or Michters single barrel rye next to the 10 year single barre? Definitely different and in a good way. In the case of Michters, is it worth the difference in $40 and readily available vs $230 on the secondary market (because that’s the only place to find it generally) ??
    Depends on your priorities or maybe just if your poor or not.
    I just learned about Michters, great stuff.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
    I like single barrel or small batch. It makes drinking more interesting for me.. occasionally I get a bottle that might have too much oak, or be too spicey , etc but if I wanted shit the same all the time I’d brink Bahama Mamas.

That said, I won’t pay a premium for single barrel or small batch. One of the best I ever drank was store select Buffalo Trace at $27 a bottle. Wish I would have bought 30 of those fuckers.

I’ve got a thing for “Bourbon” finished in port whine barrels. Trying Breckinridge today. More wood than Angels Envy but still pretty good. I like a good wheated whiskey as well.

Edit:

Half a glass per coat to help time the Lindseed oil. Two more glass as it’s time for wax! (Yes, I am a poor. That piece of shit pool is above ground)

70975414-7C06-4C5C-AE31-EAA562EA00D0.jpeg

Last edited:

that depends on what they pay. some like the variety while others appreciate something that is familiar or always the same.
    being the ocd or the habitual type, i like blended options like blue label, but even that is at a premium price (to me).

as a fucking poor, i agree that there is a point of limited return, besides bragging rights about how much disposable income you can piss away.
    but then i think folks can spend the rewards of their work in whatever way makes them happy or helps them feel satisfied.
    growing up poor, i get more enjoyment from saving money than spending it.

Reactions: Snuby642 and lash
    I have a buddy that took care of my dogs for 2 weeks I want to get a decent bottle of bourbon for. Something I can pick up at a decent liquor store but in the $100-200 range. Any suggestions?

Might be a long shot, but 15yr Doc Swinson’s and Old Carter are in that price range and would be a nice snag for your friend.

Else, a Four Gate or Kentucky Owl would be great also.

Reactions: db2000
    meh, i like my liquor made by a man name Cletus who has a pet racoon and only distils on moonless nights so the tax man cant find him.

if it doesnt come in a mason jar its probably made by leftist fags.

Yep, got a jar or jug or some big container of some sorts in the freezer that was filled in the woods off the Savannah River 😬 Exactly why I need readers these days.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and Maggot
    I have a buddy that took care of my dogs for 2 weeks I want to get a decent bottle of bourbon for. Something I can pick up at a decent liquor store but in the $100-200 range. Any suggestions?
    not bourbon

I like single barrel or small batch. It makes drinking more interesting for me.. occasionally I get a bottle that might have too much oak, or be too spicey , etc but if I wanted shit the same all the time I’d brink Bahama Mamas.

That said, I won’t pay a premium for single barrel or small batch. One of the best I ever drank was store select Buffalo Trace at $27 a bottle. Wish I would have bought 30 of those fuckers.

I’ve got a thing for “Bourbon” finished in port whine barrels. Trying Breckinridge today. More wood than Angels Envy but still pretty good. I like a good wheated whiskey as well.

Edit:

Half a glass per coat to help time the Lindseed oil. Two more glass as it’s time for wax! (Yes, I am a poor. That piece of shit pool is above ground)

View attachment 7601690

Wait, are you drinking boiled linseed oil?

He doesn’t like scotch. I drink a lot of scotch. Blue Label is garbage. Fight me.

Yeah Blue Label is barely scotch. For 10x the price.

I love rye and Cognac. Problem with Cognac is, there's about a billion of them and the range of flavors/taste is all over the place to the point that there needs to be like 40 sub categories.

The problem with most cognacs is, unless you know someone who has something, your chances of finding a glass to taste other than buying an expensive bottle and hoping it doesnt suck is low.

I got no valid argument.....

Doc

bourbon is today's hipster shit like IPAs for beer drinkers, or pabst for the posers in the other direction.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :oops:

• Haha
    Reactions: WDN-K-9
    meh, i like my liquor made by a man name Cletus who has a pet racoon and only distils on moonless nights so the tax man cant find him.

if it doesnt come in a mason jar its probably made by leftist fags.
    Where did you meet my Uncle Cletus?

• Haha
    Reactions: ...
    i'm joking of course.

anyway, the only hard alcohol in the house at the moment is a bottle of jamesons.

Just busting your chops too.

Thankfully we can drink what we want. Try as they might to fuck it up, this is still America. (Two glass in, almost time to wipe the second coat of the day off)

I love rye and Cognac. Problem with Cognac is, there's about a billion of them and the range of flavors/taste is all over the place to the point that there needs to be like 40 sub categories.

The problem with most cognacs is, unless you know someone who has something, your chances of finding a glass to taste other than buying an expensive bottle and hoping it doesnt suck is low.
    Try Pierre Ferrand 'Selecion de Anges' around a buck sixty. they make more pricey ones but it starts to reach the point of diminishing return over $300 or so.

Remy Martin makes excellent cognacs as well. Try the XO for around $175.

Just remember this isn not stuff to guzzle half a bottle. A couple shots in a snifter should last an hour or more. You breathe in the alcohol vapors and catch the buzz (just like glue) then get some air, come down, repeat. But Im just a miserable little poor. If you'd adopt my poor ass I could advise you... (y) :D

Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges Premier Cru ... | prices ...

https://www.wine-searcher.com › find › pierre+ferrand...

Pierre Ferrand Selection des AngesPremier Cru Grande Champagne Cognac France. AVG. PRICE (EX-TAX). $183 / 750ml.
    Rating: 91% · ‎93 votes · ‎In stock

===============================

Remy Martin Cognac XO Excellence

Remy Martin Cognac XO Excellence​

FREE SHIPPING ON 4 BOTTLES OR MORE!​

60 REVIEWS

SKU:
    1047838-1

$199.97 Sale price$175.95Regular price

Instant Savings: $24.02​

1 / 750ml / default 6 / 750ml / default 12 / 750ml / default
    750ML

Reactions: Kein Mitleid
    just like high priced primers, u can walk on by and bitch, but plenty will be behind you thanking you and they'll buy them (it). Just received a bottle of Whistle Pig "Boss Hogg" . Haven't decided if i'll sell it or keep it for my own collection. Kinda like the primers i'm selling at my store, plenty of folks lining up to buy them no matter the price. For every one person that complains and bitch's about the price, there's 10 more glad to buy them. And there is a difference between single barrel, and the rest that's blended barrels mixed together

I reckon your original point stands. "Single barrel/single pot" whatever, is some marketing shit to appeal to folks or to avoid certain legalities in definition of spirits between countries.

I will say, I am a simple American bourbon guy, and Jack Daniels is fine by me. Never liked Scotch or blends, but when I hit Ireland again recently, single pot Red Breast (21 year Irish whiskey) was quite good to me.

So, no telling. And that goes to your point about weird shit like Rye and Cognac. If'n ya like it-buy it.

That 21 year Red Breast costs. But their other shit isn't close IMO.

I could only grab their 12 yr before heading to the Northwoods lodge just now. Reckon it'll do just fine. Even if it is single pot. ANd not quite 21 yrs.

Just sayin'.

Not sure if it’s single barrel but Willet Family Rye 4 year is wonderful. Four year isn’t bad at $62 local when it’s available. Not sure 8 year is worth $200.

Edit:

First coat of wax is on. No, I’m not drinking wax.

Attachments

• 78CE8C9E-6CCD-4A52-B2CC-E4E76A5B4C3F.jpeg
      78CE8C9E-6CCD-4A52-B2CC-E4E76A5B4C3F.jpeg
      573.9 KB · Views: 28
    Last edited:
    Here ya go...

Flaviar Membership » Fine Spirits & Whiskey Club 🥃 - Flaviar

flaviar.com
    With Flaviar, the only unknown is a selection of rare, unsung spirit samples to enjoy from the comfort of your own home. If you’re interested in trying small-batch whiskeys, vodkas, tequilas, and more, personalized spirits subscription service Flaviar is an excellent place to start. It’s an ...

I happen to pretty much agree with you regarding le single barrel, both scotch and bourbon. I’ll happily pay less for high quality blends created by a master taster/blender. That doesn’t mean I cannot stand single barrel. That would be incorrect.

Anyway, with regard to your comment about scotch. I honestly would rather sit around with a friend enjoying some Monkey Shoulder blended scotch than the Blue label. And yes I’ve had it. You give it to me and I will appreciate it and say thank you. It will be enjoyed.

why change your mind someone has to keep drinking the blended whiskey not that it's all that bad in a pinch , it might as well be you enjoy just like someone has to clean toilets there is a job and a drink for everyone good luck finding out for yourself what you like .

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Maggot and lash
    I happen to pretty much agree with you regarding le single barrel, both scotch and bourbon. I’ll happily pay less for high quality blends created by a master taster/blender. That doesn’t mean I cannot stand single barrel. That would be incorrect.

Anyway, with regard to your comment about scotch. I honestly would rather sit around with a friend enjoying some Monkey Shoulder blended scotch than the Blue label. And yes I’ve had it. You give it to me and I will appreciate it and say thank you. It will be enjoyed.
    i was just trying to name a popular blended option that is priced like single cask whiskeys or scotch (that i have actually drank myself).
    jamesons, which is fine with me, is a blended whiskey at a fraction of the price.

one of my "rich" acquaintances is this cambodian guy that drinks that blue label all the time and will pay $26 bucks for a shot at the local.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash

First time I’ve seen you almost sound like money doesn’t grow on trees.

You a poor now?

Don’t crush me with your wallet, it’s a joke. 😂🤣😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    The other night I went out to this new place. Had a beer. Thought well I’ll have a glass of whiskey. Looked on the wall and saw a bottle with the name “whistle pig”. I like the sound of that. Had 2, 2oz “poors”. Got the ticket and it was $114 just for the whiskey. What in the flying fuck. I had no clue such a pricey fluid even existed.

Reactions: theLBC
    The other night I went out to this new place. Had a beer. Thought well I’ll have a glass of whiskey. Looked on the wall and saw a bottle with the name “whistle pig”. I like the sound of that. Had 2, 2oz “poors”. Got the ticket and it was $114 just for the whiskey. What in the flying fuck. I had no clue such a pricey fluid even existed.
    How’d you like it?

• Haha
    Reactions: theLBC
    🤣🤣 done that! But with McAllen 18 yo. I coulda bought a freakin’ bottle and had some left over. 😵

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    lol, you should visit a bar in hong kong.

/don't buy anyone a drink.

• Wow
    Reactions: thejeep
    When I lived in the Houston area, there was a small independent liquor store just outside the Sam Houston Toll Road that would buy barrels of bourbon they thought were particularly good and have them bottled up. They would occasionally have tastings on Saturdays and usually sold out pretty quick. Really good stuff for the most part, and I'm more of a Scotch drinker.

Speaking of Scotch whisky, my father used to get a bottle of JW Blue Label every few years beginning back in the '70's. He didn't let me sample any until I came of age around 1980. Even my young punk taste buds could tell that was some good whisky.

Feeling nostalgic, about a year ago I bought a little half bottle of Blue Label and found it to be a pale shadow of that older whisky. The new stuff tasted like it was mostly grain whisky with just a touch of some older malt to give it a barely distinguishable flavor of aged whisky. It was nowhere near as good as what Johnny Walker used to make. The current Green Label is considerably better than the Blue, but even that isn't quite what it used to be even a decade ago.

Much better Scotch blends are made by Compass Box and the new Dewar's Double Double range; I particularly like Compass Box Spice Tree malt blend and Dewar's DD 21 year old.

Reactions: theLBC and lash
    Ok I'll bite some seem confused.

Single Barrel Bourbon: The product of a solitary barrel of bourbon, that has been dumped independently from other barrels, and then bottled as its own product. Personally I think this definition is wrong.

This definition is correct and what you want.

Barrel-Proof Bourbon: Bourbon that has not been diluted with water before bottling.

I still have some whiskey in the house in commemorative bottles or I would sell or trade them.

Barrel proof is from a single unwatered down barrel. They will vary per barrel in strength and taste. The barrel number is included in labeling as is the proof since it is not the same.

As far as I'm concerned cask strength does not imply single barrel at all and is misleading people with man buns.

Cut your man bun off, man up and get you some of this.

20210410_201300.jpg

127 proof and smooth at only 4 years.

Also recently tried another brand of which I hate thier blended but the barrel proof was nice but I will leave it at just the TX.

I’m not a connoisseur of much of anything. I will typically buy bottles of bullit or woodFord reserve.
    The whistle pig had a lot more going on to the flavor and was pretty good.
    Sadly It was a big bday party event and everything ended up in the driveway.
    Nothing cheap about Woodford Reserve, thats good shit. So is the Eagle's. Like with many other things price

≠(always) quality​

Reactions: thejeep
    When I lived in the Houston area, there was a small independent liquor store just outside the Sam Houston Toll Road that would buy barrels of bourbon they thought were particularly good and have them bottled up. They would occasionally have tastings on Saturdays and usually sold out pretty quick. Really good stuff for the most part, and I'm more of a Scotch drinker.

Speaking of Scotch whisky, my father used to get a bottle of JW Blue Label every few years beginning back in the '70's. He didn't let me sample any until I came of age around 1980. Even my young punk taste buds could tell that was some good whisky.

Feeling nostalgic, about a year ago I bought a little half bottle of Blue Label and found it to be a pale shadow of that older whisky. The new stuff tasted like it was mostly grain whisky with just a touch of some older malt to give it a barely distinguishable flavor of aged whisky. It was nowhere near as good as what Johnny Walker used to make. The current Green Label is considerably better than the Blue, but even that isn't quite what it used to be even a decade ago.

Much better Scotch blends are made by Compass Box and the new Dewar's Double Double range; I particularly like Compass Box Spice Tree malt blend and Dewar's DD 21 year old.
    considering that there are counterfeit laundry detergent rings, i wonder if there is fake whiskey too?

considering that there are counterfeit laundry detergent rings, i wonder if there is fake whiskey too?

Yes, getting a counterfit bottle is a possibility these days, especially if you're looking at rare spirits sold at auction. However, Johnny Walker is pretty commonly judged as having compromised the quality of their standard core blends in recent years. Sadly, it's not just me and it's not just Johnny Walker. Teacher's and Black Bottle are two other blends that aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Famous Grouse had a range of 12, 15 and 18 year old malt blends that they quit making a few years ago. All were quite good.

• Sad
    Reactions: lash and theLBC