• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single plate carrier, double, or interceptor armor

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
I am currently running an interceptor armor system with two 10x12 SAPI plates. I am 6'3 and am thinking I should run larger plates. The interceptor vest is extremly heavy and it seems like a plate carrier would be better with 2 SAPI plates and no soft armor. What units wear just the front or just the front and rear SAPI's instead of the full interceptor system?

How does HSG compare to eagle industries?

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=341&cat=0&page=1

I like the HSG but will buy Eagle Industries if needed.

http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.asp?prod=HSG/WOOA

Would two plates be alot more comfortable than a full interceptor system?

Re: Single plate carrier, double, or interceptor armor

Unless your plates are Level IV stand alone,then you wont get the same protection as you will using the plates in conjunction with the soft armor. Is this for deployment? I know of no units that wear just the front plate. You ever watched Blackhawk Down? Wear both plates. Always. And soft armor is your friend as well. Especially since the protection is enhanced with it. When bullets are being shot at you, you will be glad for the protection. Unless you are a super secret squirrel, the interceptor is just fine.

i know that gecko45 runs a second plate duck taped over the back of his carrier when hes engaging the 50 bmg toting neonazi youth at the mall. just sayin

Reactions: Keith E.

If your threat level is high enough to warrant rifle plates, then you would be a fool to just wear one. Armor is heavy - that's just a fact of life. There are ways to mitigate the weight, but that usually comes at a cost in both money and protection coverage.

If you're 6'3", then you should be running large plates in the first place. The most important aspect of wearing plates is making sure they're sitting properly and not sagging. I see a lot of guys with sagging plates, be it because of poorly adjusted shoulder straps or worn-out vests. A plate carrier will reduce your overall protective coverage, but reduce bulk and add to mobility (not to mention cool you off on a hot day - IIIa is quite an insulator).

Wearing both plates is important not only for protection, but also for balance. It may not seem like it makes a difference when you wear it for 2 minutes, but try 8 hours and you will.

Something very important to consider when wearing plate carriers is the protection rating on the plates. They come in two types: in-conjunction and standalone. In-Conjunction plates REQUIRE you to have IIIa soft armor between your body and the plate for the plate to adequately protect you according to its rating. This why a lot of guys get IIIa inserts that fit right behind the plate, however I personally think it's more versatile to just have a IIIa vest in the first place. If your threat level is low, just wear the vest (it can be simple front/back or have more coverage like BALCS), but when the threat level increases you throw the plate carrier over the vest.

marduk, that Mall Ninja crap cracks me up!

Reactions: Keith E.

It wasn't 50BMG it was 338LM. He confiscated some new lightweight cut down 50's from the Neo Nazi's.
wink.gif

What you wear can be dictated by what's your missions. if its high pro, or low. But ether way, always were the most armore you can and still prefore your mission. and YES, were both plates!

If you dont have IV stand alones, dont just wear a plate hanger. that frag you can get on the back side of a plate can be just as bad as taken a bullet. ESAPI plates need soft armor to meet their full rateing