• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single Point slings

EricM40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Georgia
So I really like the Magpul MS3 sling. It's comfortable and generally easy to manipulate without having excess slack. The issue is that it is tough to tighten when in single point mode. I can loosen it fine, but tightening can be a pain. Any opinions or other options out there that are similar?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Single Point slings

In my experience most single points dont loosen OR tighten quickly. I've ran the sing you are talking about & I was pleased with it.

At the end of the day, I'll take a bad single point over any 2 point.

i used somebodys ar with a ms3 on it the other day at the range, i really liked it, im prob getting one soon

I've noticed the same thing with my MS3, but it doesn't bother me. It's by far the best single point I had, after never being satisfied with the 3-4 other designs I've owned.

Mine was a little tight at first but after working it for a while it loosened up and now tightens comfortably.

A very well designed and built sling.

I have the opposite problem on my mid length ar. I bought a single point sling (fox tactical) at a gun show and can't get it tight enough. Now, I'm not a big guy 5'10" 170lbs but my ar's barrel end is practically at my ankles! Maybe the sling is just too long in general. Will the ms3 sling allow me to tighten the slack out and keep the ar higher up on my chest area? I know it's an old post but didn't see the point in starting a new one when this is related, thanks.

Last edited:
i have the magpul ms3, the only thing i dont like about it is the clip where you do/un do the attachments are small....when your running and gunning, sweat and adrenaline is pumping, fine motor skills are gonna be the first to go, unless you trained long AND hard....

I have an MS3 and MS4, and I like the durability and strength of the sling. I truly feel I could about rock climb with these slings. But, as some posters above have observed, I too have a *LOT* of friction when trying to tighten the sling. I can loosen it quickly, but tightening is a two handed operation vs the single hand that it should be. I will run these slings on my shotguns where I'm in no hurry to loosen/tighten. On my work rifle though, I'm going to get a VTAC sling which numerous co-workers run and all of them are very pleased with them. I just fail to accept that I need two hands to operate a sling.

-G45

After using a single point and switching to a VCAS during a 15 month deployment....I just hate single points. May I ask why you don't run it as a two point? I just hate single points when they smack your balls, your knees, or when you take a knee to help a buddy you generally muzzle the dirt and take a buttstock to the chin. Please don't take this as a slight against your preferred method of using the sling, I am honestly just curious why you are running it as a single point, when it can be configured as a two point. Everyone has different tastes.

I have an MS3 and MS4, and I like the durability and strength of the sling. I truly feel I could about rock climb with these slings. But, as some posters above have observed, I too have a *LOT* of friction when trying to tighten the sling. I can loosen it quickly, but tightening is a two handed operation vs the single hand that it should be. I will run these slings on my shotguns where I'm in no hurry to loosen/tighten. On my work rifle though, I'm going to get a VTAC sling which numerous co-workers run and all of them are very pleased with them. I just fail to accept that I need two hands to operate a sling.

-G45

I have the MS3, VTAC, and VCAS. You may check out the VCAS when you get a new sling. The VTAC is great, I just don't care for the free running end as much. The MS3 is more difficult to adjust than either the VTAC or VCAS, and is probably my least favorite of the three. I say this as someone who is not a big Vickers fan, but it is a solid piece of gear in my experience.
Also, you can look at the hardware on any of the slings and make a blend of all 3 for about $10.

Single point slings are cool and effective until you need to run or move in any way.

The only profile I really see an appropriate application for the single-point sling is inside the car, but since that usually involves getting in and out of the car, then I personally don't have any use for them. On deployments or training exercises, everyone I have seen that used a single point was always knocking their knees, spinning the carbine around, muzzle-striking the dirt, and butt-stroking their face inadvertently. They are one of the most problematic sling designs for real-world use, but do have some benefits for an under-the-coat gun. I still prefer a bungee figure 8 for under-coat guns, but that's pretty old school as well.

VTAC slings forced me to stop making my own personal slings back in the day, but I also have the Vickers, and an Ares Armor quick-adjust 2-point that I just started using in cold weather. I got it from the prize table at Sniper Adventure Challenge this year, and seems to be very similar to the Vickers sling, but uses a loop instead of a pull tab.

I use the VTAC as a patrol sling, assault sling, and shooting sling all in one. The ability to lock into a super-tight shooting position no matter what you are wearing is a big plus with the VTAC.

Last edited:
I cant stand single point slings. I use nothing but Blue Force Gear padded 2 point slings on AR's.

Try walking around with a single point for a few hours.

I have an ms3 and a vtac. While I love the concept of the ms3, adjustment is stiff and requires a lot more finagling than the vtac. Also, I wish the ms3 was padded. It bites into my neck/shoulder. My vtac adjusts smoothly and the padding is nice.