• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single shot 22lr for elr?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Hear me out. I've been experimenting with the idea of taking a single shot 22lr (think something like a Savage MARK I FVT) and getting a faster twist bbl in 1:10 or even 1:7 twist to use with Cutting Edge Bullets (CuRx) 42gr and/or 50gr projectiles with an EC Tuner at the muzzle. Goal would primarily be for tight groups and taking out to ELR distances of 400 - 600 yards.

Haven't found a place that sells a 1:10 / 1:7 twist barrel for a Savage Mk1 yet, but the idea was having this be more of a fun plinking project. Alt would be just opting for a CZ or Tikka bolt action as the base and loading each round in by hand, or lighter CuPx projectiles in single shot action. I have made these distances before with 22lr on another rimfire so I am capable of making these shots.

Sounds like a good project. I don't think the Savage action is going to give you the accuracy, you are going to need. I would look for a used Remington 40X or a used 22 Benchrest gun, all you would need is a fast twist barrel. You are going to need a good trigger. Both will take a 700 trigger. Next, but not single shot, is a Bergara B14R. I am shooting out to 500yds with mine B14R with a EC V2 tuner. The B14R takes a 700 trigger also. I have a Trigger Tech Diamond in both of my B14R's. See my post about ELR with a B14R. The CZ and Tikka would be gun also.
Good luck keep us updated.