• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

single stage or 2-stage trigger?

SIG383

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2010
South Hill/Puyallup, WA
I'm trying to figure what the pros and cons between a single and 2-stage trigger are. I will be using this for more tactical stuff and using for classes and that. I'm thinking between a Wilson Combat and a Gessiele non-adjustable. This will be going on my 5.56 AR build. Thanks

Re: single stage or 2-stage trigger?

Go single stage. The 2-stage was developed to allow service rifle shooters to comply with the 4.5# trigger rule while having a much lighter let-off.

Have the Gessiele two stage on a LR-308 and love it. For a AR-15 there is no need for a two stage for the application you are describing. To each their own, and I can see no reason to go either way. Just that two stage isn't needed...

This question comes up pretty frequently. It really all comes down to a matter of personal preference as to which trigger you prefer as they are very different units. Here is a quick run-down I have posted in the past re: single versus two-stage triggers.

In terms of the operation of a 2-stage trigger...obviously, it has two portions that can be felt during trigger pull. The first stage has a much longer, generally heavier travel than the second stage. The first stage is normally called take-up (and some other synonyms) but should not be confused with creep or other slop in the trigger. At the end of the first stage, you'll experience a definite stop. This is the beginning of the second stage. At this point, you have "staged" the trigger and are ready to engage the second stage and fire. The trigger essentially works like a single stage trigger at this point. You should have a crisp, clean break with around 2.0lbs (give or take) of pressure.

An AR running a single-stage trigger will get you into a trigger like that found commonly on bolt action rifles. No creep, no slop, minimal reset, just apply pressure to the trigger and then break like a glass rod with around a 3-3.5lb pull or so (depending on the mfg). The 2-stage on the other hand offers safety and accuracy. You get a long, first stage with around 2.5lbs pull then a second stage with a crisp, clean pull similar to a single stage trigger, but with only a 2lb pull (give or take...the Giessele SSA you are considering is a 2.5lb/2.0lb two-stage trigger). You can't safely get an AR single-stage trigger much below the 3-3.5lb pull mark because of the risk of AD's, bump fires, etc., etc. The 2-stage triggers (some) are infinietly more adjustable to get a truly "tuned" trigger setup to the individual shooter's preferences. Take the Giessele for example...you can get a "Match" 2-stage trigger with a 2lb first stage with a 12oz second stage (infinitely lighter than anything you can get close to with a single-stage trigger). I run Geissele DMR triggers where I get a 2lb first stage and a 1.5lbs second stage...it is the cat's meow for AR triggers.

If you are used to a quality, tuned bolt action rifle trigger (single stage), then getting used to a 2-stage trigger can be a real stuggle and can take a while to get used to.

I can't personally comment on the Wilson unit as I have not used one. I like the Timney triggers for single-stage units...they are available in different trigger configs and different weights of pull (the lowest being 3lbs).

I have a Wilson Combat TTU Single Stage in my LR 308 and all I can say is WOW. Its a 4 lbs set non adjustibe. It smacks the FGMM 168 Gr. good just like my bolt action and there is no creep just a nice smooth break. It also has passed mil-spec tests for drop safety. There is a half cock position, so if it fails, it will hit the half cock position and wont stike the firing pin. And trust me the pull is so smooth, you will smile every time you squeeze. Now this is my expereince I am not bashing other tirggers, the only other ones I have felt are the NM RRA 2 Stage, a Jewel and some kind of Bushmaster competition modle and my Wilson Combat.

Historically a single stage trigger is less likely to break than a 2 stage. Does this mean a 2 stage won't last a long, long time? Nope. But if reliability is your main concern and you use your rifle to defend your life or others stick with the single stage (special purpose rifles excluded).

Thank you for all the input on this. I think I'll be going with the single stage. Most likely going to go with the Wilson too. I like the idea of the drop in, and after speaking with John there at Wilson, if I don't like it or it doesn't fit right in my lower, they will take it back, no questions asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for all the input on this. I think I'll be going with the single stage. Most likely going to go with the Wilson too. I like the idea of the drop in, and after speaking with John there at Wilson, if I don't like it or it doesn't fit right in my lower, they will take it back, no questions asked. </div></div>

Well you can't argue with CS like that. If it is anything like Wilson's other parts/accessories, the quality will be there...it just comes down to whether you like it and it meets your needs. Once you get it and have a chance to run your rifle with it installed, but sure to put up your impressions of the trigger.

I will for sure! I'll be taking pics as I build it up. I'm starting with a stripped upper and lower (from the group buy). I'm thinking that this will cost me a lot less in the end than buying an AR that's already built, and then replacing everyting with what I want and having a pile of original parts that are hard to sell. Plus, I'll learn a lot more about my gun this way.

Just had a JP trigger put in to my AR-15 and love the thing. It improved my off hand shooting so much and makes bi pod work a joy. I have shot the jewel trigger and did not care for it the first stage just felt weird. The bushmaster shot ok but I had a lot of bump fires.

I'd re-read what ORD had to say.
The two-stage trigger gives you single stage performance, with the added safety of "take up" or pretravel.
For your description of it's intended use, I'd definitely recommend going with a two stage like the Gessiele.
Running, and maneuvering, with a single stage trigger is very sketchy, especially if the pull is light.
Doubles, and AD's, are also far more common with single stage triggers.

A two stage trigger is just a "safer" single stage, and, if the reset is the same, can fire just as rapidly if that matters.

The Bushmaster was a 2 stage trigger and lots of bump fires. I have only about 500rds though the Jp and no bump fires. just sharing my personal experience not saying any ones else's is wrong

Man, I have shot GG and the SR Gold trigger. And the American Trigger Company got it right with their gold triggers. They make an AR-15 version and the SR Gold trigger for the 308's, but they are two stage triggers. The first stage is 6 ounces, and the second stage is 2.5 or 3 pounds(cant remember which). I think that its the safer way to go with semi autos. And they are smooth as hell... I just did this same write up 2 minutes ago on the same question, just in the bolt action section(the op posted it in the wrong section).

The Geissele SSA is a very durable trigger, and Ive been using several of them for a couple years now.

The main complaints from 2 stage triggers come from people who buy ones from crap companies or buy competition triggers who's primary purpose is not exactly durability.

The SSA was designed from the ground up as a competition trigger, and Geissele is at the very top of the heap when it comes to AR triggers.

Stock USGI type single stage triggers are durable but they are not consistent, and vary with feel from one to the next even from the same company. You could get one that is a smooth 6lbs, and the next one is 9lbs. Its impossible to get any type of consistency out of them.

The bushmaster two stage is a terrible trigger.
If you're having bump fires then you may have it set as a single stage.

The unique thing about my bushmaster two stage is that the trigger reset spring applied more force to reset the trigger than was required to break the shot to begin with.
That meant that, as a single stage, if you applied say 4.5 lbs to break the shot, the reset spring applied maybe 6 lbs to reset.
Well if your finger hovered in between those forces, you would fire bursts.
I only had this happen while prone, and it proved to be very controllable, but with the lack of a sear, I would sometimes actually break shots faster than the rifle could keep up.

Excellent if you wanted the cops called, shitty if you wanted a single stage trigger.
I always ran mine as a two stage, and I never had this happen.
terrible trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd re-read what ORD had to say.
The two-stage trigger gives you single stage performance, with the added safety of "take up" or pretravel.
For your description of it's intended use, I'd definitely recommend going with a two stage like the Gessiele.
Running, and maneuvering, with a single stage trigger is very sketchy, especially if the pull is light.

A two stage trigger is just a "safer" single stage, and, if the reset is the same, can fire just as rapidly if that matters.
</div></div>

A two stage trigger, statistically, is not safer than a single stage, it is more likely to break or malfunction. Take up or pretravel will not make a trigger safer, learning trigger control will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson TTU singlestage

the TTU is perfection
</div></div>
+1

Hamilton, I'm not quite understanding your post about your Bushmaster 2 stage trigger. The way you describe it is as though you can set it up as either single stage or 2 stage. I know that's not possible.

BTW, SIG383 or who else may be interested, Geissele is going to release a single stage trigger unit in the future. Something to look out for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hamilton, I'm not quite understanding your post about your Bushmaster 2 stage trigger. The way you describe it is as though you can set it up as either single stage or 2 stage. I know that's not possible.</div></div>

My bushmaster NM two stage trigger has an adjustable second stage.
You can adjust it so that there is no second stage.
Then it operates like a (poorly) tuned military trigger.
I have it, I've adjusted it plenty, and that's how it works.
What gives you reason to believe that it's not possible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd re-read what ORD had to say.

</div></div>

A two stage trigger, statistically, is not safer than a single stage, it is more likely to break or malfunction. Take up or pretravel will not make a trigger safer, learning trigger control will. </div></div>

What statistics?
Seriously.......

About reliability:
Do you understand how two stage triggers can work.
The M-1 Garand used a two stage and it's been copied widely up until now.
The disconnector, which the trigger group HAS to have either way, is used to initiate the second stage travel and pressure.
There don't have to be more parts in a single stage versus a two stage trigger.

Take up and pre-travel will always make a trigger safer.
Look at any of the multitude of defensive pistols on the market that lack safeties.
Do these triggers all have something very much in common?
Lots and lots of pre-travel.
Why do you think that is?

Safe trigger manipulation is always required with any firearm, equipped with any trigger, so stating that is moot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mosdet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have the Gessiele two stage on a LR-308 and love it. For a AR-15 there is no need for a two stage for the application you are describing. To each their own, and I can see no reason to go either way. Just that two stage isn't needed... </div></div>

+1...wise words.

Proper Trigger Discpline is allways a must reguardless. When we run drills at training if you get caught with a finger in the trigger gaurd until the fire command is given you push until the drill is over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hamilton, I'm not quite understanding your post about your Bushmaster 2 stage trigger. The way you describe it is as though you can set it up as either single stage or 2 stage. I know that's not possible.</div></div>

</div></div>If you set it up that way, it sounds like improper sear adjustment and an improperly set up 2 stage trigger group, not a trigger group that can go single stage or 2. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a trigger system being able to operate as either single stage or 2 stage. If that was the case, I don't think there would be so much debate on "should I buy a single stage or 2 stage". Everyone should just buy the Bushmaster trigger and be able to set it up either way and decide for themselves which they like best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hamilton, I'm not quite understanding your post about your Bushmaster 2 stage trigger. The way you describe it is as though you can set it up as either single stage or 2 stage. I know that's not possible.</div></div>

</div></div>If you set it up that way, it sounds like improper sear adjustment and an improperly set up 2 stage trigger group, not a trigger group that can go single stage or 2. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a trigger system being able to operate as either single stage or 2 stage. If that was the case, I don't think there would be so much debate on "should I buy a single stage or 2 stage". Everyone should just buy the Bushmaster trigger and be able to set it up either way and decide for themselves which they like best. </div></div>

+1 do not listen to this. That's not the way to use or adjust a 2 stage trigger.

For me, I use single stage on all my ar rifles (my "precision ar" has a accuracy speaks single stage, my others stock mil triggers.) A 2 stage doesn't make much sense for a combat type rifle. The argument that there is a "margin of safety" with a 2 stage is wrong. Your damn finger shouldnt be on the trigger with either setup. I use a 2 stage on long range type rifles (gap 308.)