• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single Stage Press Advice

Crash01

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Boise, ID.
I was certain that info would be easily found, but I couldn't find any topics on it. I have some money set aside for a single stage press, or turret. I've reloaded since I was 12 years old, but unfortunately, it was all shotgun shells. I understand the basics, and have a few reloading books that I plan to read cover to cover before starting, but none if it really covers which press to get. I don't want to get low end stuff, but I don't need the Ferrari of reloading presses either.

I just purchased an AIAW 338LM from Stacey Blankenship. I've always wanted one, and now I need to come up with a plan to feed it. Any recommendations on what press to go with it? Dies? The only caliber will be .338 using 250 Scenars or 250/300 Matchkings.

Sorry for what seems to be a very rookie question, but I'd rather buy once cry once than spend money and then later try to upgrade. My theory is that it is best just to start with equipment that is better than you need, and grow your skill to meet/exceed that equipment than it is to purchase low end stuff, and quickly outgrow it. I just don't have the knowledge to know if paying extra is really getting anything in return when it comes to reloading presses. I've read more than one statement about an RCBS kit with good dies will perform just as well as the expensive presses. I just don't know if that statement is complete BS or not. Thanks for any advice.

ETA: I did read the "Reloading 101 Basics" tacked to the top of the forum.

Re: Single Stage Press Advice

Forester coax and redding bushing type s dies with competition seater.You will need a full length and neck only die.A good thrower like the redding or better yet a harrell and a good scale like a rcbs 505.A wilson case trimmer will round you out nicely.

My RCBS Chucker Supreme kit serves me well. You need RCBS shell holder #14. I use RCCS dies. If you can Redding comp dies are good, but too expensive in my opinion. I just need my gun to be 1 MOA. Anything better is icing on the cake so I don't worry about the expensive dies. Hell, my AIAWSM shoots better than I can hope for so. If you can find primers, powder and brass, and bullets then you are GTG. Good luck. You are going to love your AIAWSM. I certainly love mine. (and the AIAW too
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't need the Ferrari of reloading presses either.</div></div>

For only about $225, you can actually own <span style="font-style: italic">"The Ferrari of Loading Presses?"</span>

press.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My RCBS Chucker Supreme kit serves me well. You need RCBS shell holder #14. I use RCCS dies. If you can Redding comp dies are good, but too expensive in my opinion. I just need my gun to be 1 MOA. Anything better is icing on the cake so I don't worry about the expensive dies. Hell, my AIAWSM shoots better than I can hope for so. If you can find primers, powder and brass, and bullets then you are GTG. Good luck. You are going to love your AIAWSM. I certainly love mine. (and the AIAW too
smile.gif
</div></div>

I agree except for the dies. If you can afford to shoot .338 LM, you should be able to afford Redding dies.

Does the Co-Ax need some other jaws for the 338LM? I happen to have a 338LM case at it doesn't fit into my Co-Ax. And how does one seat a bullet with Comp seating die.

I have put tens of thousands of all kinds of calibers through my rock chucker and it's still going strong. If it's not THE best it's in the top 3 single stagers on the market. You can't shake a stick at the price even today ($125). Mine is a freebie from one of my dad's friends that passed away. His widow gave it to my dad, my dad told my brother and I "whoever needs it first gets it." I built a reloading bench that weekend.

If you can swing the best for dies then go for it, but I use RCBS or Redding for everything but stuff like 7 Mauser or 303 Brit because I shoot about 50 rounds (combined) from those rifles a year, and do so with Iron sights at 100 yard steel. Not worth investing triple the money for something that I might fire 1000 rounds each in the rest of my life from them. I use Lee dies for them, they work just fine.

If you are loading for the Lapua Maggie...you probably won't like the Coax. It has too limited an OAL for convenient handling of that long round. I'd opt for the Redding UltraMag as a single, or for convenience at about the same price, the Redding T7. If you wish to load the .50 BMG later, the Ultra-Mag will take the 1 1/2 inch dies, and the T-7 won't. I love my Coax, and do 90% of my loading on it...but it does have it's limitations. Bullet pulling is one of them...and, if you are working up loads, you need a load eraser sometimes. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollerCam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't need the Ferrari of reloading presses either.</div></div>

For only about $225, you can actually own <span style="font-style: italic">"The Ferrari of Loading Presses?"</span>

press.jpg
</div></div>

And which single stage press is this?

Crash01, dmg is absolutely correct. Yes you will need to get another set of jaws, about ($20.00). I also have a AIAW 338LM and the CO-AX works great.

Thanks for the Data Dump guys. A lot to process/consider here.

Mike-4, right-click the photo, check the properties, jpeg comes from Forster's website. Checking Midway quickly:
MidwayUSA Link
Looks to be the Forster Co-Ax Single Stage.

Mike-4 that is a Forster Co-Ax, a great press. I have used one for a year or so, like it a lot. My understanding is the B-3 version is bigger and will handle .338 Lapua.

The Co-Ax aslo has mucho more mechanical advantage compared to RCBS, no need to buy shell holders, maybe an extra plate for 338lm thats it, superior spent primer retention, no need to buy a primer installation tool, and the shells and dies float, so it should produce straighter ammo.

Oh, you will need Forster or Hornadeeeee lock rings for every die you have, once there set you never ever loose there adjustment.

The <span style="font-style: italic">SEARCH</span> function on this site is a bitch to use. There's a ton of discussion on your topic; retrieving it can be a trick. Use the <span style="font-style: italic">ADVANCED</span> option, and read the instructions.

By my rough count, so far it's Co-Ax 7, RockChucker 3. While you've discouraged them, I'm sure the Lee contingency will be along at some point recommending their Classic Cast press.

Someone has mentioned Redding, but not the Big Boss. It's a little nicer press than the RockChucker and is comparably sized. If your loading volume on this press will be low, the Redding UltraMag may be preferred for its additional power and capacity. It is appreciated by those who load larger cartridges. It's also preferred for case forming (horsepower). It's a great mechanical design, but is constrained ergonomically.

The following link is a pretty thorough discussion. Thought I'd toss it into the fray, mainly to round out the <span style="font-style: italic">other equipment</span> discussion:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/538107599?r=164105899#164105899

Wrote the following yesterday for another forum. Looks like it'll be applicable here as well:

<span style="font-style: italic">I myself have a fascination with the Redding turret press. Yet, its virtue is in its implementation; there are so many opportunities for introducing inaccuracy (variation) during its manufacture. From a practical standpoint, I own and use the Baby Boss because of its smaller size (ergonomics) and minimalist design, requiring fewer machining operations in its production.

I have long thought that the attraction of the Co-Ax is more illusory than having anything to do with either its capabilities or ergonomics. I believe it is the impression that the user has of it. Some like it; some can leave it. I attribute that difference to the perceiver's admiration for either simplicity or complexity. Those who are fascinated by the intricacies of this H-frame design can find no fault with it. Those who appreciate a simpler design find little attraction.

My theory, and I'm sticking to it. This is my reason for advising people to buy the one that appeals to them. </span>

While we're discussing the Forster press, The <span style="font-style: italic">B3</span> is not a larger press; it has a re-designed handle to clear micrometer dies.

My friend recently bought a Rock Chucker Supreme, a Redding Big Boss and a Co-Ax. He tested all three presses for consistency in seating, shoulder bump and runout during sizing and seating operations. His conclusion was that the Co-Ax was the best. He sent the Rock Chucker supreme back, saying it was junk.

I don't think he saw a big difference in neck runout between the Coax and the Big Boss, but shoulder bump and seating was not as consistent with the Big Boss. He said that he could vary it on the Big Boss, depending on how much pressure he put at the bottom of the stroke. With the Co-Ax, it didn't matter.

He's very thorough in his testing and I trust his opinions. I'd go with the Co-Ax myself.

He was flexing the stops on the Big Boss?

The UltraMag uses its cast iron frame for a stop. The Bosses and turret press have roll pins inserted for stops. I've never forced the stops, but I guess those who have cammed over on other presses would be prone to such misuse.

It's very interesting that your friend made the comparisons. I'm not an RCBS fan, but I didn't realize the RockChucker was that deficient. I just never liked the sloppy linkage and camming over to compensate for it. Thanks for relating his experience. Usually people just rave about how much better one press is than their old one, whatever it was, without any basis of objectivity.

With precision equipment,one must have the basic understanding of his equipment. I have a Rock Chucker I brought twenty years ago,admirely it is still serving my purpose. Lost some parts,called RCBS 800's number,they discussion with me and sent me free parts. I'd look up profession shooters and called the manfactures. I'd put my weight on their opoinions hell lot more than just hear say!

" I just don't have the knowledge to know if paying extra is really getting anything in return when it comes to reloading presses."

The advantages of one press over another is largely over rated. They are simple devices with few moving parts and modern CNC machinery aligns the parts quite well on all of them.

I use a 20 year old Rock Chucker, have owned other presses over the last four decades and have used even more of my friends. Given good loading technique, an understanding of the design of the press and the same dies I am sure I could make just as good ammo on any one of them as another, from Lee's alum alloy Lee Challanger to the excellant but overly expensive Forster CoAx.

I can - finally - afford whatever press I want. But hate to cry over money miss-spent over a lack of quality OR excessive price. There's no doubt in my mind the single stage Lee Classic Cast IS the best press deal on the market for price, features, precision and strength. IF I had to replace my 'Chucker next week, that's certainly what I would get. I would NOT get another RC, that's for sure, tired of sweeping spent primers off the floor!

Harold,
I'd much rather have your press than the current one.

Tired of sweeping primers off the floor,well,i don't mind ,the sound of primers hitting the floor is music to my ears. I'm not saying to buy RCBS,just that it severed my purposes and I do have a RCBS Turrent press too. I reload some big calibers,300 win mag and 375 H and H mag ,no problems,I have crimp hunting bullets with the cannerule groove,no problems. If I was to buy another,it would not be a press,Be a Wilson abor. I would suggest to resrech throughly and I don't have a >338 Lupa,for me its just too expensive to feed,there's a couple guys on the Hide that shoot the .338's,one could link up with them?

Yes, he was intentionally testing the stops on each press. The point of his experiment was to simulate trying to size a bunch of brass in a hurry or what may happen at the end of a long session of sizing when concentration and technique start to wonder.

I have an old RC, and it is much better than that new RC Supreme he had. The new ones are made in China and have a lot of slop in them.

We are planning on comparing his presses to my old RC, Dillon RL550 and Lee Hand press at some point, just to see.

I didn't know the "new" RCBS presses were made in China. Well,I 'd get something esle that's made in America. Years back,I went to a gun dealer wanting to buy a spotting scope. Ask that it be made in a America. Oh,Sure,it is. Got hom with my 20 power Redfield spotting scope,turn it over,their it was in extreme ting print,MADE IN JAPAN!! We'ar in big trouble the day China makes CONDOMS!!!!

I used to own a Forster, nice press, but I got tired of pinching my fingers when seating bullets loading large cartridges. The Forster is gone. The Redding Ultamag is is now my favorite, strong and very tight tolerances. I load everything from 45-70, 300 Win Mag, on down to 221 Fireball on this press. I have two of them on the bench along with a Lee Classic Cast Turret. The Lee is used primarily for my pistol and 223.

Reload_4.jpg

FunnelforClassicPress.jpg

I have a coax and use it for loading pistol and small cal rifle, for anything bigger than 308 it gets loaded on my 2 RCE presses. Never have to worry about leverage or runout on these presses.

I'm a recent Co-Ax convert. Always had an interest in one, but I'm pretty frugal. Finally found one used (don't think it ever loaded a round, but it had a few small spots of light rust), and bought it for $75.00.

I was a little unimpressed the first week, and darn near pulled it to remount my Corbin S-press, but now I'm hooked! There are a host of features I really like, but the ease of changing dies alone is worth the cost.

If I came home to find it missing, even with my other good presses still lurking under the bench, I'd pick up the phone and order another Co-Ax immediately.

Cheers... Jim

I like my Rock Chucker, and don't have any urge to replace it.

I like it even more now that I bought the Lock-N-Load adapter, I can quickly change the dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Reload_4.jpg

</div></div>

Dare I ask why the wifebeater tanktop (or whatever it is) knotted to the bench... ?
wink.gif

Looks to clean to be a rag/towel...

Look to me like he probably uses imperial wax and just cleans the cases after sizing.

What volume and what distances? My rifles shoot he same with either one at ranges out to 400 yards. Past that, the precision of weighed loads begins to be noticible. Speed is better with the 550, but look at LTR Davids posts to get the best production volume. For 50 to 100 a week of precision, long range loads, the Coax gets my nod. Keep in mind the ancilary tasks of cleaning, trimming, chamfering, lubing necks, etc., that have to be performed. Those can be semi-mechanically rate boosted, but that comes with cost also. Welcome to an expensive hobby/profession. JMHO

I got the "Made in China" sticker-shocker on my last RCBS purchase. Guess they thought we wouldn't care.

I do... and I'm done with anything from RCBS.

Roller I kind of feel the same way. Has anyone verified the origin of manufacture of the RC supreme. I have a forster and love it. Gave my 20 year old RC to a friend when I quit reloading about 7 years ago and just replaced it with a supreme. If I had known the china manufacture was true I would have never bought it.

I just got back from my friend's place and we made a trip to Cabela's. He showed me the issue he had with his RC Supreme (before he returned it) on the floor model there. When you raise the ram to the top, as the press over-cams (you can feel it do it too), the ram deflects. This is VERY visible when looking from the side, but even more so when looking down through the top. You can see the ram tilt forward and come back.

Doesn't happen on his Big Boss or Co-Ax, but it unfortunately does on the Hornady LnL AP I picked up while we were there. Its going back...

Let me clarify this: the ram is not bending, its tilting within the slop of the hole it passes through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me clarify this: the ram is not bending; its tilting within the slop of the hole it passes through. </div></div>
Which way are the links deflecting?

Its going past the pin that connects the crank link to the ram.

You can't do 338LM on that one. It barely fits a 308 family case for sizing. The opening is only 2.5", so a Redding match seater (or any seating die with a sleeve) is too long to let you put a bullet in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got back from my friend's place and we made a trip to Cabela's. He showed me the issue he had with his RC Supreme (before he returned it) on the floor model there. When you raise the ram to the top, as the press over-cams (you can feel it do it too), the ram deflects. This is VERY visible when looking from the side, but even more so when looking down through the top. You can see the ram tilt forward and come back.

Doesn't happen on his Big Boss or Co-Ax, but it unfortunately does on the Hornady LnL AP I picked up while we were there. Its going back...

Let me clarify this: the ram is not bending, its tilting within the slop of the hole it passes through. </div></div>

Komb,

I just looked at my Redding BOSS (and Winchester chime in here if you are reading this).

When I come up against the stop pins (the roll pins) my ram deflects just like the RCBS press you got video of. It deflects towards the 12 o'clock position.

Something worth having Redding check out ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Komb,

I just looked at my Redding BOSS (and Winchester chime in here if you are reading this).

When I come up against the stop pins (the roll pins) my ram deflects just like the RCBS press you got video of. It deflects towards the 12 o'clock position.

Something worth having Redding check out ?</div></div>
I would certainly let Redding know about it. Is there discernible slop in the ram/bore? (My <span style="font-style: italic">Boss</span> has absolutely none.) Send an e-mail. Those come to the attention of Pat Ryan rather than customer service. Describe exactly what you've experienced.

[email protected]

A true quality program doesn't depend on inspection of the finished product. It recognizes that the production process generates the quality level (known as the <span style="font-style: italic">capability</span> of the process) and relies on the operator to maintain the process. When an operator is concerned about the product reflecting on himself rather than the process, the system breaks down. American culture can be a detriment. The system then is dependent on the customer to provide feedback. If <span style="font-style: italic">the system</span> is less than helpful, raise hell publicly. I'll help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Komb,

Something worth having Redding check out ?</div></div>
I would certainly let Redding know about it. Is there discernible slop in the ram/bore? Send an e-mail. Those come to the attention of Pat Ryan rather than customer service. Describe exactly what you've experienced.

[email protected]

A true quality program doesn't depend on inspection of the finished product. It recognizes that the production process generates the quality level (known as the <span style="font-style: italic">capability</span> of the process) and relies on the operator to maintain the process. When an operator is concerned about the product reflecting on himself rather than the process, the system breaks down. American culture can be a detriment. The system then is dependent on the customer to provide feedback. If <span style="font-style: italic">the system</span> is less than helpful, raise hell publicly. I'll help. </div></div>

Win here's what I just did as a test and you can tell me if I was checking for what you were asking about.

I raised the ram about halfway and grabbed it between my thumb and first finger and tried to wiggle it around. Granted there has to be SOME clearance between the ram and the hole bored in there, but yes I would have to say there IS discernable play between the two. The majority of it is between the 12 o'clock and 6'o clock position and it fact if you watch the press handle while I do it you can see it move slightly.

Hrm.........well crap......

I would expect the max play to be at full extension of the ram, simply because that is where it would be most amplified. Makes me wonder if the ram is worn in mid travel. I don't know the age or maintenance record of your press, but a worn ram can be replaced.

I recommended an e-mail, but I've had pleasant experience with letters. Pat Ryan is an engineer who is a liaison between production and the public. A letter to him should generate his personal response, and I would recommend that as a means of getting his personal attention. His e-mails are covered over his signature, but all may not get his personal attention.

I might call tomorrow and ask specifically for him.

I just checked again with the ram at TDC and indeed the higher up you run it the worse it gets.

It was a new press, and its not six months old.

Thanks for your help!