• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Single stage press upgrade advice

jonesy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Louisville, KY
Hey all,

I've been hand loading now for 3 years or so. I started after I got my first rifle, a Savage 116, and I now reload for two rifles: 7mm RM and 260 Rem. My entire hand loading experience has been based on making the best precision rounds that I can, while helping me to save money (vs factory match ammo). I started out by purchasing the Lee Anniversary Breech Lock single stage press because it was on sale for ~$90 and it had everything I needed to start hand loading.

Fast forward 3 years. Now I'm getting into tactical matches and want to really start going for the gold in terms of how perfect I can make my hand loads. For the sake of speeding things up and for accuracy in powder measurements, I just purchased a Chargemaster 1500. Now I want to know what I can do about upgrading my press.

The thing I hate the most about the Lee is the breech lock bushing. The locking system is simply shit. It will never be in the same place from round to round as I go about loading my cartridges because of the flimsy push button lock.

With this in mind, what single stage press would you recommend for absolute precision and why?

I'm currently looking at:
Forster Co-Ax
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme
Lee Classic
Redding Boss/Big Boss/Big Boss II
(Sorry about all the MidwayUSA links, the RCBS website is currently shitting itself and Redding's site is useless.)

Really leaning toward to Forster Co-ax, but I'm unsure about the C-frame design and wanted to know what everyone thinks about it.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks

P.S. Not too worried about price of the press as I'll be spending thousands of dollars on the bullets and powder that I'll be using anyway. $150-$400 is a drop in the bucket so to speak.

PPS: Would also like to know what everyone thinks about the "quick change" stuff on the Forster Co-ax. Does it add any wiggle to the working area?

Last edited:
I was given an old pacific that I use for full sizing, The RCBS rockchucker I use for taper crimp and the rockchucker supreme is for the bullet seat.
When my chargemaster thows a load, I fill the case go to the bullet seat (Redding comp) then taper crimp, putting the finished product in a box, the next charge is usually ready.
The process goes well, I prefer to complete each round as I go to ensure consistancy.
I use the quality of press for the given job. I have 4 single stage presses set up on one bench.

Last edited:
I was given an old pacific that I use for full sizing, The RCBS rockchucker I use for taper crimp and the rockchucker supreme is for the bullet seat.
When my chargemaster thows a load, I fill the case go to the bullet seat (Redding comp) then taper crimp, putting the finished product in a box, the next charge is usually ready.
The process goes well, I prefer to complete each round as I go to ensure consistancy.

I think once I upgrade, that I might do like you do and have a press set up for different things. I'll use my current Lee for stuff like decapping, resizing, etc while I'll use the nicer one for stuff like bullet seating. Maybe use the nice one for resizing too.

I heard good things about the Co-Ax. I never own one because I already own a Redding Ultramag and a Lyman Orange Chrusher. If I wanted precision loads, I use my arbor press and Wilson dies.

I pick up presses so that when I get the bench space they are going to be designated 223 or 300WM so I can keep the dies in place.

I upgraded from a lee single stage to the forster, and I absolutely love the forster. It has the lowest runout out of all of the presses out on the market. Very quick change on the dies. You can't go wrong with them.

The play is 100% exact and repeatable with each pull. The jaws close, perfectly centering the brass, then drive upwards into the die. It is very precise. The "play" is completely self adjusting. It's the bench rest guys press of choice if that tells you anything about the precise nature of the press.

The play is 100% exact and repeatable with each pull. The jaws close, perfectly centering the brass, then drive upwards into the die. It is very precise. The "play" is completely self adjusting. It's the bench rest guys press of choice if that tells you anything about the precise nature of the press.

Yeah, it being a benchrest preferred press is very reassuring to me. That's what got me looking at it. Also it has been mentioned here a bunch of times. I really haven't found anyone who says they have a specific problem with it. The Co-ax is definitely at the top of my list.

EDIT: How would you say the case jaws deal with stuck cases compared to a normal case holder?

I can't define it as a "benchrest press", because isn't an arbor press therefore, or notwithstanding that, can work, better than others, with your average dies_
real BR needings, reloading tasks, tools, goals (and time involved in all that) are quite different, in my opinion_

I can't define it as a "benchrest press", because isn't an arbor press therefore, or notwithstanding that, can work, better than others, with your average dies_
real BR needings, reloading tasks, tools, goals (and time involved in all that) are quite different, in my opinion_

Right. Benchrest shooters prefer the arbor presses. They do, however, have an article on 6mmBR.com praising the Co-a press as the "cadillac" of reloading presses. They like it for what it is, which gives me confidence in it.

The Forster Co-AX is a great press, and it is used by many benchresters. But I'm going to recommend something a little different, but not new because they have been around for more than 50 years.

No. 444 H Press : CH4D

I actually now run two CH4D "H" presses, a 1 die press (no longer made) and a 4 die press model 444 like the link above. The 1 die "H" press is older (I bought it in 1980 or so) than some posters here on SH, but the model 444 I have is only 20 years old.

The 444 is not a progressive press, but it does hold 4 dies and 4 shellholders. I usually keep a Universal Decapper in the rear postion, my CH4D primer swager in the front position, and a Neck sizer die on the left front and FL die on the right front. Or I can keep to different caliber die sets mounted.

My old CH single die "H" press I use only for bullet seating.

What I like about these presses is absolutely straight line operation and nothing hanging below the bench.

Just another option to keep in mind.

First the jaws hold well, you need to take 10 seconds to adjust them correctly. Secondly the leverage is so grate, you can really always keep the press moving. if you can not remove the case, forester case removers are available as are other.s

Jt

Guys, this is all really great info. Thanks a bunch!

I just read somewhere that Forster did a torture test with 300 375 H&H magnum cases. They used no case lube and FL resized them all without shearing the rim off a single case. Who knows? Might be BS, might not. Anybody know anything about the "test"?

The Forster Co-AX is a great press, and it is used by many benchresters. But I'm going to recommend something a little different, but not new because they have been around for more than 50 years.

I actually now run two CH4D "H" presses, a 1 die press (no longer made) and a 4 die press model 444 like the link above. The 1 die "H" press is older (I bought it in 1980 or so) than some posters here on SH, but the model 444 I have is only 20 years old.

The 444 is not a progressive press, but it does hold 4 dies and 4 shellholders. I usually keep a Universal Decapper in the rear postion, my CH4D primer swager in the front position, and a Neck sizer die on the left front and FL die on the right front. Or I can keep to different caliber die sets mounted.

What I like about these presses is absolutely straight line operation and nothing hanging below the bench.

Will definitely read more into it and keep it in mind. Looks like a tank to me at first glance. I didn't even know it existed until now. Great info.

I have an old Rock Chucker and a R/C supreme with different dies calibers loaded on each. Works great for me, and if the bullet is consistent, each bullet seated is exactly the same ( I measure). Doing this, I found the ogive on 175 SMKs is not consistent.
I find the Hornady quick change on my LnL AP has >10 mil give.

My boss uses a Redding T7. He is a marine sniper trainer (reserve), national match champion and can do more with iron sights at 600 yards than I can at 300 with a Leupold MK4. I know his standards are exacting, so even though I've never used one I figure it's a great press because he uses it.

I have an old Rock Chucker and a R/C supreme with different dies calibers loaded on each. Works great for me, and if the bullet is consistent, each bullet seated is exactly the same ( I measure). Doing this, I found the ogive on 175 SMKs is not consistent.
I find the Hornady quick change on my LnL AP has >10 mil give.

My boss uses a Redding T7. He is a marine sniper trainer (reserve), national match champion and can do more with iron sights at 600 yards than I can at 300 with a Leupold MK4. I know his standards are exacting, so even though I've never used one I figure it's a great press because he uses it.

I'm a little afraid to go with a turret press, as I feel like the extra moving parts would lead to some inconsistencies. That being said, I'm sure the T7 would be a great press for someone who really wants to speed up their reloading process.

I feel like the R/C Supreme would be a nice, no BS press. Like a Lee classic with maybe a bit better construction. (My Lee came with a bit of a crooked shank that I had to straighten out...)

Inline fabrications makes great lights, Strong mount and bullet trays. I don't use the trays because I usually manage may batches in a bulk fashion. This is extremely helpful in speeding up the process when working with the same groups of powders across various bullets, or if your working up several powders a bullets at the same time.

Awesome setup you've got there!

I bought a Lee Challenger to do depriming only and thought it unworthy. Sold it off before even using it.
I find I like the old Rock Chucker more than the Supreme (decapped primer catch tray is better). However, once I have everything dialed in and locked down, I am very confident of the repeatability of both the RCBS presses.
My old RC cost me $50. The RC Supreme was $135. You can find old Pacifics now and then for <$50. Check Craigs List.

100 yard BR guys use arbor press gear, most 1000 yard bench rest guys use the Co-Ax.

Yeah, it being a benchrest preferred press is very reassuring to me. That's what got me looking at it. Also it has been mentioned here a bunch of times. I really haven't found anyone who says they have a specific problem with it. The Co-ax is definitely at the top of my list.

EDIT: How would you say the case jaws deal with stuck cases compared to a normal case holder?
What stuck cases?
The Co-Ax has a 360 degree death grip in the case and will rip any case out of any die if you forget to lube it..Might mangle the case head in the process though.

100 yard BR guys use arbor press gear, most 1000 yard bench rest guys use the Co-Ax.

forewording that here in Italy anything beyond 300 meters is pure speculation, or really a rare event, that I have seen short distance BRs not even using a press handloading on the field, and not being a BR myself anyway,I will be very interested to understand the advantage, in long distance precision terms, of the Co-Ax over the arbor, leaving aside the quality of the dies employed_ any answer will be welcomed, thanks_

I use lee classic cast...don't know why people bash lee....they are not cheap...just less expensive...I thought it was cool being made of recycled railroad tracks..lol

I'm a little afraid to go with a turret press, as I feel like the extra moving parts would lead to some inconsistencies.

Hasn't been very many years since the 1K benchrest record was set using a T7. Just like racing, the fastest car on the track won't win without the right driver driver.

I just got a new Rockchucker Supreme for my new bench. It's nice. The fit and finish are better than the old Rockchucker I once had, and I measured the distance from the top of the ram to the face of the die thread insert in several places - it was as square as I can measure. (Not that that means that the treads are true, but I'm not equipped to measure that at the moment. I also like that the links are supported in double shear at the casting, although that might just be the engineer in me talking rather than a practical thing. It's a nice press, all in all. It's also ambidextrous (sort of - you can mount the lever to either side) if you happen to be left handed.

I have both the Forster Coax and the Redding T7. If I were loading for multiple calibers I would go with the Redding. However my Forster Coax is my single favorite press. The No worries about the quick change feature. It loads precision rounds with the lowest run out of any press i have owned.

Wow. I've been doing this a long time and have never seen one of those. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for passing that on.

I use lee classic cast...don't know why people bash lee....they are not cheap...just less expensive...I thought it was cool being made of recycled railroad tracks..lol

Their newer stuff isn't too bad. 20 years ago, they made some stuff that was not so nice. They've made a name for themselves as the cheap brand. For a while that meant crappy. Not sure it does any more.

I just upgraded myself and got this, but they dont cost 104.95 anymore, 137.50 on Amazon, LOVE IT!
jAEEjS2.jpg

I just upgraded myself and got this, but they dont cost 104.95 anymore, 137.50 on Amazon, LOVE IT!

The Lee Classic is definitely on my radar. It does not have the features that I have issues with on my current Lee (the breech lock), and it's one of the strongest presses you can get.