• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Single Stage vs Progressive Reloading

odonnks

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
I reloaded 20 + yrs ago using a single stage press an sold everything after a few years when finding I was not shooting much.

Now back into shooting I'd like to reload again.
I want to work on precision loads for a few long guns but I also want load high volume for other firearms.

My question is, if I were to go with a progressive unit like a Dillon 650XL would this press still allow me to work on low volume custom loads?

Thank you!

I'm not positive, but you can probably buy a single stage press for what it would cost to set the Dillon up for another caliber. I would have both.

A single stage is cheap and would cost less than the caliber change for the 650xl.

The 650 (IMO) is only really go for pistol rounds (9mm, 10mm, 40sw, 45acp, 44mag, ect) and the common rifle rounds (223 and 308) for plinking. You can do mods to get it to be accurate but at the cost i would rather just do it on a single stage. Its just not worth getting the caliber conversions and everything for a round I only shoot 200 rounds a year (like my 45-70) either so having a turret or single stage is a nice bonus for your low round count calibers. Again though that is my personal opinion. I dont use progressives at all other than for case prep but if i did the 650xl is what i would get for the calibers i mentioned with a nice single stage for the precision rounds

You can, but it can be a pain in the ass to use a 650 in low volume, high precision work. The auto indexing is a blessing and a curse. I don't like that I can't feel the primers seat, I don't trust the powder measure for the powders I use, etc, etc etc. You wind up slowing it down on purpose (using a funnel instead of a powder measure, skipping the priming so you can do it by hand). You may as well just use a single stage.

If anything a 550 might be a better choice, though not as speedy for the bulk stuff. But I'd just spend the $150 on a decent single stage press and leave the Dillon for the high volume stuff.

In my experience go with a good single stage (rock Chucker or whatever brand tickles your fancy) then for pistol ammo go with the dillon square deal B (auto indexing pistol only about $350-400)

If you want to turn out bulk rifle ammo on an auto index you are stuck with the 650xl.

Look at Hornady's "Lock-'N-Load" press. Easy to change calibers and quite as precise as a single stage press.

i bulk load 223 FMJ's on my progressive... because i dont care if the powder drops are +-.4... thats the problem with loading powder on a press... a drop on your bench might drop +-.1 or 2, but toss it on a press with all the added vibrations from the press movement, and it will go to shit

thats fine for plinking ammo, or hitting big plates under 600, but not good for accuracy...

if all you're using the press to do is seat, and crimp, then its fine...

Last edited:
i bulk load 223 FMJ's on my progressive... because i dont care if the powder drops are +-.4... thats the problem with loading powder on a press... a drop on your bench might drop +-.1 or 2, but toss it on a press with all the added vibrations from the press movement, and it will go to shit

A +/- .4 variance is more than I want to deal with. I went to a ball powder and I get the same .1-.2 variances I get using TAC and CFE for .223 as I get with my pistol rounds on my 550.

Last edited:
I spent a bunch of money setting up my 650 XL for precision 308 and ultimately runout was unacceptable for me (.002" - .005"+). I bought Whidden's floating die toolhead with the clamps from Uniquetek, a powder drop die, a powder ram etc., etc. I don't even want to think about how much I spent. Back to the Forster Co-ax.

Essentially all my loading is for small quantity/moderately precise loads, 100 cartridges of fewer, usually 50rd loading batches. The RL550B is the only press I've ever owned. IMHO, after roughly two and a half decades with it, there is enough reason to believe that adequate precision can be obtained with this press.

It's my opinion that charge weight consistency and neck tension are the primary concerns when loading precision ammo. I hand weigh each charge that's intended for Match usage.

I don't believe the Dillon powder measure is consistent enough to use stick powder (without weighing individual charges) for progressive loading of cases using less than around 40gr per case. I load my .30-'06 Garand, and .280 Rem loads in full progressive mode. The rest I weigh.

Greg

Last edited:
650 for pistol and plinking rounds here.

Single stage for .308 precision rifle rounds

Single stage press is pretty cheap. And check things like Craigs List and find someone getting out and selling cheap.