• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sisters attacked and stabbed in violent home invasion. No response from 911. Off duty officer shoots and kills perp.

Blue Sky Country

Urban Cowboy
Minuteman
  • SALT LAKE CITY - UT
    The article in this case illustrates that all hell can truly break loose at any fucking second. Does not matter where you are, where you live, or how populated and "safe" your neighborhood is... And to make matters worse... You might be in an area where emergency services response is hampered by shitty infrastructure/technology management. Which can lead to people dying... Either from a criminal attack or a medical emergency.

ALWAYS have something within arm's reach that can turn a motherfucker's head into a canoe instantly and from a distance.

Now on to tonight's WTF news article...

----------
    SALT LAKE CITY — When an ex-convict climbed through her window in Salt Lake City and stabbed her repeatedly four years ago, Breann Lasley says the emergency response system that should have rushed to send help to her ended up nearly costing her life.

She is now suing a Utah company over what she says is a faulty 911 protocol that would have resulted in her death if a nearby police officer had not happened to hear her sister’s cries and intervened.

“They failed us that night,” Lasley said. “If she didn’t leave to get more help, then we really would be dead, because help wasn’t coming.”

Lasley and her sister, Kayli, called 911 four times after Robert Richard Berger broke in through Lasley’s window on Sept. 23, 2015, yelling out their address and saying, “Help us, he’s going to kill us,” according to the lawsuit filed Wednesday in Salt Lake City’s 3rd District Court.

“Priority Dispatch Corp. created a technological monster, promoted it as being regulated and approved by a bogus regulatory body, and left Bre to fight off an armed assailant alone without police assistance,” the lawsuit claims.

“If not for the intervention of the ‘angel’ officer, Bre would be dead.”

Berger had been released from the Utah State Prison eight days prior to the attacks and had walked away from a halfway house.

At 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighing 210 pounds, he kicked, choked, and stabbed Lasley several times as her sister ran from the house screaming.
    Salt Lake police officer Ben Hone, who was three blocks away, rushed toward the noises.

Minutes later, Hone entered the home and shot and killed Berger. Hone’s actions were called heroic and the shooting was also determined to be legally justified. The shot he fired to kill Berger — who was holding Lasley in a tight grip — was a “difficult shot” that had no room for error, according to officials.

Lasley’s attorneys now argue that police were never dispatched to her home because the rigid software system required dispatchers to ask a scripted series of questions and obtain the answers before sending police to the scene.

“Dispatchers should be able to act on intuition and when they hear an address, help needs to be sent immediately,” Lasley said. “No one’s life should have to depend on prompted scripts or predetermined questions.”

In the 911 calls from Breann and Kayli Lasley, obtained by KSL in 2015 through a public records request, each be heard screaming their home address without having a direct conversation with the dispatcher.

The lawsuit alleges Priority Dispatch, based in Salt Lake City, sold its software around the world and touted itself as the only system approved by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch.
    Yet the software program’s inventor founded the ‘bogus’ regulatory group, the lawsuit says. It names both entities as defendants. (
    smiley_freak.gif
    )

Lasley’s attorneys contend the company and the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch sought to represent the software as cutting-edge technology and offered it at no cost, but with a potential fee of $1 million if it failed to train dispatchers to strictly comply with scripted prompts and questions.

Scott Freitag, the president of the international academies from 2003 to 2016, also was director of Salt Lake City’s 911 communications office from 2015 to 2018, the suit says.
    Freitag, now the mayor of Layton, was fired from his Salt Lake post in 2018 after he was arrested for driving drunk in a city vehicle in the middle of the day.

The company did not respond to requests for an interview. A spokesman for Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski said the office doesn’t comment on pending lawsuits but the city stopped using the software for police calls last month, though it still is used for medical calls. (
    smiley_freak.gif
    LOLWUT?)

Freitag told KSL on Wednesday he was unaware of the legal complaint and said the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch has no regulatory authority. He said he believes police were in fact sent to the home that day.

“My memory tells me that police were dispatched to that call. I don’t remember the details of what occurred with that call, other than a police officer arrived and shot the suspect,” he said. “If she called and was screaming on the phone, that would have been a high priority call, regardless of what questions were asked after that.”
    (
    smiley_freak.gif
    Unfortunately, your "memory" and accounts vastly differs from what is known and reported. Keep digging your hole deeper, you fucking piece of shit.)

The suit alleges Lasley was left awaiting medical attention for a time even after her attacker had been killed.

She is seeking more than $300,000 in damages to compensate in part for her physical and emotional pain, medical costs, plus diminished job earnings and quality of life. Lasley said she hopes her legal fight will help change the system so others are spared experiences like her own.

“I’m still here. I’m standing,” she said. “It’s a little empowering, but it’s terrifying, too.”

----------

Stay locked and loaded out there folks. When I was a bit younger, I used to scoff at the idea of carrying a firearm around in your own home. I don't anymore...

Well at least everyone is ok and lives to bitch about how somebody didn't save them quickly enough and thus they deserve money.

Reactions: Pbgt
    So everyone understands. This is from 2015, which amazes me as time flies. I fully remember this ordeal.

The POS that was in charge of 911 who is now the mayor of another city, was busted for DUI a few months after this.

Deep state starts early I guess.

The police were not dispatched until the incident was basically over.

I have listened to the 911 calls and honestly the sister is screaming so loud it is hard as hell to understand her.

From a human standpoint you would think in a panic/emergency you would need to be very vocal/loud. But technology has failed and screaming becomes about the same as having squelch turned up to high. You actually need to be calm and speak slowly, even if your sister is being hacked to death.

The point is (if not obvious). With all the technology you are basically on your own.

kudo's to the off duty police officer who stepped up to help, wonder what the difficult shot entailed

The perp had the injured sister in a bear hug and was trying to strangle her to death. Both were probably rolling around and struggling. Making a shot even at close range and hitting the right target without causing collateral damage to the victim is going to require a hell of a lot of razor sharp observation and reaction speed. Bullet strikes just an inch right or left of point of aim means the victim may be the one dead...

So everyone understands. This is from 2015, which amazes me as time flies. I fully remember this ordeal.

The POS that was in charge of 911 who is now the mayor of another city, was busted for DUI a few months after this.

Deep state starts early I guess.

The police were not dispatched until the incident was basically over.

I have listened to the 911 calls and honestly the sister is screaming so loud it is hard as hell to understand her.

From a human standpoint you would think in a panic/emergency you would need to be very vocal/loud. But technology has failed and screaming becomes about the same as having squelch turned up to high. You actually need to be calm and speak slowly, even if your sister is being hacked to death.

The point is (if not obvious). With all the technology you are basically on your own.

Well said...

911 is really for notifying the authorities that the situation is clear after the scumbag takes a full powered .357 Mag to the face and is laying there with his brains all over the place.

If 911 is your first and primary defense against a criminal situation, you are doing something very wrong. That is why the old phrase "when seconds matter, help is just a few minutes away" still stands true. It was fortunate that an armed citizen, in this case the off-duty officer, had been present and alerted to the commotion.

Well said...

911 is really for notifying the authorities that the situation is clear after the scumbag takes a full powered .357 Mag to the face and is laying there with his brains all over the place.

If 911 is your first and primary defense against a criminal situation, you are doing something very wrong. That is why the old phrase "when seconds matter, help is just a few minutes away" still stands true. It was fortunate that an armed citizen, in this case the off-duty officer, had been present and alerted to the commotion.

Correct as fuck. The person who intervened was in fact an off duty LEO.

Which means he was A:Off duty which makes him a civilian
    B: had some training/mind set to deal with shit.

If you as a general civilian have the mind set you can obtain the training to deal with shit also. This is NOT a LEO exclusive skill.

The thing to really keep in mind about 911 is the response time. Here is some info from last year:

The best response time cited was 5.7 minutes and the worst was 13 - 15 minutes. A lot of bad things can be done to a person in 5.7 minutes. We have to develop the mindset of protecting ourselves first and calling second.

The thing to really keep in mind about 911 is the response time. Here is some info from last year:

The best response time cited was 5.7 minutes and the worst was 13 - 15 minutes. A lot of bad things can be done to a person in 5.7 minutes. We have to develop the mindset of protecting ourselves first and calling second.
    Yeah, when seconds count, police are minutes away. Sometimes a lot of minutes

The very first time I called 911, it was pretty new and about 1982. A guy was stealing gas in my apartment parking lot and the neighbors (three angry guys who drove truck) saw him, two of them took off after the thief, one banged on my door and asked me to call the cops.

The cop on the phone asked for a description of the thief. I said, "he has a gas can in one hand and a piece of garden hose in the other and he's running for his fucking life, heading east thru the retirement trailer park. If those guys catch him before you do, he as good as dead." The cop started laughing and said they'd try to intercept him at Orange St. The entrance to that trailer park.

Things have sure gotten shitty since the olden days.

Calling 911 is just you legally declaring publicly, that you have no control of a situation and you give up .
    them - ..." 911 can I help you " ?
    You - ..." Can you please relay a message to anyone who wants to be 1st person late for the Party ".

Calling 911 is just you legally declaring publicly, that you have no control of a situation and you give up .
    them - ..." 911 can I help you " ?
    You - ..." Can you please relay a message to anyone who wants to be 1st person late for the Party ".

911, good for covering your ass after the fact and for insurance claims.

I know personal responsibility is racist. Still I think no one is more responsible for your safety than you. You come in my house late at night, my ears are gonna hurt.

TL;DR Hasn't the Supreme Court already ruled the police do not have a duty to protect anyone? I hope she's paying he lawyer on a contingency basis.

Well said...

I pulled this article from the DML app / site.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig suggested concealed carry by law-abiding citizens “is about staying alive” during an October 30, 2019, interview on Tucker Carlson Tonight.

Craig, a vocal advocate of concealed carry for self-defense, said, “There’s been research that shows criminals fear armed citizens more than they fear police.”

He explained police are not ever-present, thus they usually arrive after a crime not during one: “By the time we’re called it’s usually after the fact, so we’re reacting to the crime.” But armed, law-abiding citizens can be present to act as the crime is unfolding.

“This is not about being a vigilante. This is about staying alive,” Craig said.

WATERWALKER’s Tip of the Day is this:
    You’re responsible for your own safety. Period. Arm yourself & be proficient w/ your weapon of choice. No one has more incentive to protect you than you.

Last edited:
    I don't see her winning the lawsuit. The company was contracted with the CITY. The company has no such contract with any individual citizen. There can be no expectation of.... well... anything.... with a company with which I have not engaged in any business or contractual obligation. In other words, the software company has no obligation to an entity with whom they have not entered into ANY sort of contract or paid services.

Now.... the CITY could sue the software company, presumably.... for selling them a defective system.

And, as most of you probably know, she cannot sue the city (well she can try but won't win). The government has no duty to protect the lives of individual citizens - has been decided in multiple federal court cases, including two SCOTUS cases.

Soooo.... as WE all know.... "you are your own first responder."

If I have to call 911 - it’s because they need to send government officials to remove the body, and I’m too tired to drag it out into the desert and bury it myself.

Correct 911 interaction/exchange:

911: "911 emergency how may I assist you?"...

Me: "Howdy... I caught some sumbitch tryna' jack in my window. Rushed at me when he saw me and I hit him with three straight through the chest. Motherfucker is leaking everywhere. Tell ya' what, if ya'll can send a squad down here I am gonna give ya'll each a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon..."

Last edited: