• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Site in today at 200 yards, 5 shot group

Benchshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2007
Arkansas
Changed my rings. For the guys who are always asking where those sub 1moa.

scan0001-2.jpg

Re: Site in today at 200 yards, 5 shot group

No one questions that sub-moa groups occur. The argument is, can you do that every time on demand? That is where things like the SH Group target challenge came in and where the SH "Practical Tactical" target make you realize the difference between "cherry picked" groups and practical accuracy.

Not bashing your group at all. I assume that #6 and #7 were "sighters".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas hold'em of 5 shot groups, best 5 of the 7?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Shooting in those five squares was not a accident.

What I like to do it get the assorted shoot-n-see's and shoot the 1/2 inch ones at 100 and then 2 inchers at 200. Then to save money I shoot at 3x5 cards at 300.

I figure, like the SH practical target, that all a group proves is that you can do the same exact thing in the same conditions 3,5, or however many times.

But, can you hit an MOA sized target on the first round? What about on the second round?

Now granted I can't do it everytime but that's where I'm trying to get, and I WILL get there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I like to do it get the assorted shoot-n-see's and shoot the 1/2 inch ones at 100 and then 2 inchers at 200. Then to save money I shoot at 3x5 cards at 300.

I figure, like the SH practical target, that all a group proves is that you can do the same exact thing in the same conditions 3,5, or however many times.

But, can you hit an MOA sized target on the first round? What about on the second round?

Now granted I can't do it everytime but that's where I'm trying to get, and I WILL get there. </div></div>
The problem I am having right now is the range. I shoot on a power line road and they usually bushhog it a couple timesa year. They have not done so this year. I am going to try and clen it enough myself so I can shoot 400, and maybe 600. But the nerve of those power line folks not keeping that range clear for me is really pissing me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I like to do it get the assorted shoot-n-see's and shoot the 1/2 inch ones at 100 and then 2 inchers at 200. Then to save money I shoot at 3x5 cards at 300.

Now granted I can't do it everytime but that's where I'm trying to get, and I WILL get there. </div></div>
The problem I am having right now is the range. I shoot on a power line road and they usually bushhog it a couple timesa year. They have not done so this year. I am going to try and clen it enough myself so I can shoot 400, and maybe 600. But the nerve of those power line folks not keeping that range clear for me is really pissing me off.

</div></div>

WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!?!?

Just get a big weed whacker and clear out enough room for your target stand and you'll be good.

I'm lucky, I have this with in an hour of me.

web-long-range-with-yds550.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I like to do it get the assorted shoot-n-see's and shoot the 1/2 inch ones at 100 and then 2 inchers at 200. Then to save money I shoot at 3x5 cards at 300.

</div></div>

WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!?!?

Just get a big weed whacker and clear out enough room for your target stand and you'll be good.

</div></div>

Where do you live, I'm moving there!!!

For me, the group is about proving the consistency/potential of the ammo/rifle/shooter.

Once that is established/proven, I'm ready to move on to engaging targets.

If I can't establish consistency, it's pretty much a waste of resources to blast away at distant targets hoping to get lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, the group is about proving the consistency/potential of the ammo/rifle/shooter.

If I can't establish consistency, it's pretty much a waste of resources to blast away at distant targets hoping to get lucky. </div></div>

Good point. Once the equipment is sorted and you are capable of replicating firing process then shooting groups at 100-200 yards hasn't much to offer.

The snipers hide practical tactical target has had me kicking dirt around more times than I can count.

It definitely reflects all of your imperfections. You can measure distance from center and come up with a "REAL" group for all of the shots if you want to know what your REAL groups look like on target. So far, that target has been kicking my ass consistently. I have not been able to clean that target with all shots in the black as of yet. Matter of fact, I'm only able to get about 60% of them. Makes me want to rip my hair out.

A dime sized group at 100yds that is more than 3/4" off target doesn't mean squat in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, the group is about proving the consistency/potential of the ammo/rifle/shooter.

If I can't establish consistency, it's pretty much a waste of resources to blast away at distant targets hoping to get lucky. </div></div>

Good point. Once the equipment is sorted and you are capable of replicating firing process then shooting groups at 100-200 yards hasn't much to offer. </div></div>

Really? Well why don't you tell us how far we should shoot to have something to offer? Show us your targets at 400,500, 600 or 1000 yards and we'll compare.

Benchshoot Really? Well why don't you tell us how far we should shoot to have something to offer? Show us your targets at 400 said:
Not a dig on you at all. I'm just saying that going to the range and getting your rifle zeroed for current conditions (ie. walking rounds into a bullseye) and then shooting groups only proves that you can replicate the firing process 5 times and that your rifle and ammo is consistant.

A better way to train at 200 yards is to take a 2 inch shoot 'n see and then see if you can hit it first round. If you still want to shoot a group you can but I feel it's better to put 5 or 6 shoot 'n see's out there and shoot those for time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Benchshoot Really? Well why don't you tell us how far we should shoot to have something to offer? Show us your targets at 400 said:
I believe, may be wrong that I can take that 100 yard shoot and see and set it at 400 and do the same group. I'll take it out there tomorrow if the weather is right and see and I will post the results.

If you have a 400 yard range take a couple of 3x5 cards and tape them together and make a 5x5 card and see about hitting that.

The best shot I've made to date was when the Santa Ana winds were hitting the range I posted above and I hit a 6 inch steel plate on the 600 yard line in what I would guess were 20+ mile per hour winds. Gusts were strong enough to blow over a tripod and spotting scope in the lane next to me.

My point in all of this is, I put much more stock in the ability to put the bullet where I want it to go every time than I do of shooting little tiny groups. I guess because the deer or elk that I would shoot will not care how many times I can hit them in the sweet spot.... just that I can one time when it count, without any sighters.

Shooting groups is fun, but I wager you will find a whole nutha level of fun trying this stuff out.

When I started doing this I had a Remington PSS in .308 in an A5 stock worked over (trued and such) by Randy at RD Precision. That rifle would shoot little tiny groups with just about everything I shot through her. I have a target, some where, of a 5 shot group shot at 300 yards that measured just under an inch center to center. The rifle was so accurate I was getting bored with it. Then I found that range I posted above and everything changed.

They have 1-2 MOA steel targets from 300 out. Once I realized how tough it was to hit a 3 inch target at 300 yard a whole new world opened up.

Have fun.

Nice shooting. We do something similar. One in the ten ring and then as many in the black surrounding the ten ring as possible. If two shots touch, you lose, if one goes off the black, you lose, miss the ten ring, you lose. Shown below are one winner and one loser.

223Kimber_VargetLoad.jpg

I am on a state rifle team(tacticalriflemen), and our montly training understandably focuses on cold bores. We shoot more at 100 than 200 simply because they are more available, but when we do get to the longer range we shoot our cold bore at 200. This is very challenging predicting were the POI is going to be in different weather conditions. We have also done the individual dots that Lowlight came up with and this can be very humbling indeed. We have some guys who are very good at shooting little tiny groups and when switching to the dots it added a whole new level of difficulty. I will say a good portion of the team did start getting 60 o 80 percent hits on the dots so not to shabby.

By the way when we shoot a cold bore at 200 we are usually trying to hit an eye on a pic and have a 2 inch circle around it to call hits or misses. This is not discounting lethality of hit, rather to just focus the shooter into a smaller area of variance. Or aim small miss small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changed my rings. For the guys who are always asking where those sub 1moa.

scan0001-2.jpg
</div></div>

Are those one inch squares, and at what range did you shoot them at?

Can you read wind? Can you range and dope a target (to 1000 yds)? That's what separates the big boys from the weekend group shooters. At 200 yards a good rifle and shooter will put all 5 rounds in one, one inch square.

Sub MOA (barely) isn't bragging territory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Benchshoot said:
Onemoretime said:

</div></div>

Where is that at? Is it a private or public range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Benchshoot said:
Onemoretime said:

</div></div>

Where is that at? Is it a private or public range? </div></div>

That's the Pala Rifle Range in the Pala Indian Reservation, near Temecula, CA