• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Site Information Update 3/16 Google, User Names, Site changes Read Before you ask

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Here is an updated Site Information Post for people who may have missed it the first few times.

As we continue to work on the site we are slowly adding features and adjusting the system. This is to help the members have a better experience. As you can tell the site is already running better because now the servers can work like they are supposed too. UBB was full of bugs and problems that with a site of this size was directly effecting our server performance. Still vBulletin is NOT UBB, so there are some drastic differences between the software. How the board handles and manages the old data is not gonna be the same. You have to expect this and understand we are not gonna work to recovery everything from UBB. It either is or it is not.

1. User Name / Display Names

People are stilled confused and asking why their old display name is not working. UBB used a User Name to long on which was private and a Display Name to view which was public. vBulletin only uses a User Name so it only uses that from your old UBB account. So be sure to log on using your USER NAME and do not try looking for your display name. Now the individual user can change their USER NAME On their own. They do not need the admin to do this. Go to your "settings" above on the top right. In there it is highly recommended you set up your account as everything defaults to a minimalist position. Most things are off by default. In your General Settings you can adjust how the site looks as well you can change your user name. Do no change it too much there is a limit. But if you want it changed you can do it yourself. Also I recommend updating your information. This board software works much better than UBB so expect it to work, if it is "NOT WORKING" that is usually operator error. There are some small hiccups from the move behind the scenes which can be fixed, but not many. We have noticed on some stubborn accounts the change threw a "0" in the DOB which cause the system to be confused.

2. Private Messages

The Old System allowed the user to engage in a conversation. This system does not. Sniper's Hide has spoiled it's members by giving them entirely too many private messages in their quota. The default is 50 and most boards limit it too no more than 100. We have always given the members more. Problem is, the old PM system does not work here, so it takes every post and reply in the old system and treats it like a separate message. Think email, not PM. So most of your Inboxes are full. You have to delete both the sent and received or your in and sent box. There is an empty mail box link that will delete it. If you want to keep your old messages I suggest downloading them as you have that option now on the lower left cover of your inbox and then purging all of the messages and starting over. Because every message in UBB is a separate entry, you will be overfull. You have purge it.

3. Post Counts

Everyone lost posts, we pruned a large number of posts before the move and the way this system read the old posts is different. Once we updated the engine on the back it automatically adjusted every single user's post count. We are not fixing this. If you lost posts and cannot list an item for sale, we are sorry about that, you have choices which will be discussed. We constantly get asked to fix this, and we will not. We have tried early on and as soon as you adjust the site behind the scenes it changes it back as well we are not adjusting 1000s of accounts manually. If you PM me about it I will simply delete it without a response, if you email me about expect a less than polite answer to read the board. It happened to everyone, its here to stay, post more and don't worry about it.

4. For Sale Section

Now, not everyone who lost posts below 100 lost the ability to post in the for sale section. If you logged on early the system would have updated your account to "full member". This is all you need to post in the for sale section. Moving forward if you logged in for the first time and lost posts below 100 and don't have full membership, you have a few options. First, check to see if you can post a new thread in the For Sale section, if you don't have the option you can't post. If you have 88 posts and do have the option to start a thread you are considered a Full Member and can post. The 100 post rule is more like the Full Membership Rule. Now you can start posting again and reach 100 where your account will be promoted too full membership. Then you can post in the for sale section. You might have to log off and log on, but it will work. At least it appears to work. If you can't post, even though you used to be able to, sorry we can't and won't help you. Your option is to use the "new member for sale section". This allows anyone who is not a full member access to the for sale section to list an item. It costs $20 for 21 days access and only work in that one area. Buying access does not buy you space in the other sections. If you just have to list your item here, it is your only choice if you are under Full Membership status. Posting is the route to promotion.

5. Subscribing to Threads & Follow User

We have added a Follow User feature. I have not explored it, but it is available. I suggest looking at the options for yourself to determine how to use it. There are details at the developers website: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=293491

To subscribe to a thread there is a series of tools at the top of each thread. You can use those tools to follow a specific thread.

6. Old Data from the UBB Site

The old site is gone, and the data only came over in the most basic, RAW form. Your old watched topics and subscribed threads are no longer working so you have to start over. Also the old photo gallery is not working. The two systems are so different there is just no way to get it too work because the code and text. What you see when it looks like HTML is the old UBB Code which is not being read by vBulletin. As time goes on we will cycle away from this, but in the mean time, understand it will not work and we can't make it work.

Searching Old Threads on the new Site / GOOGLE SEARCHES

If you are attempting to look up old information from the old site understand it is very different now. The old site is gone, there were over 2 million posts and we did not add a redirect for them, so if you attempt to access an old link you find yourself on the main page here. The old link will not work so if you see: snipers hide.com/forum in the address, don't bother clicking on that.

The new search engine on the top right is actually very good, have indexed the site and it will work. That should be the first place you try. If you want to use Google you have to search this site and not the old site. We have added this site to Google but the information from the old site is still present. 11 years is a long time, so you have to be specific when searching. In order to successfully search using Google tell it what you are looking for this way:

SITE:FORUM.SNIPERSHIDE.COM AND __________________ (Search term)

This is the proper way to search Google so it does not point you to the old forum. Now Google knows where to point you and you won't have those annoying redirects.

7. Mobile Platforms

This site is now equipped with mobile access via 2 methods. We have installed Tapatalk which is paid App, and we have a Mobile Side of the forum which can be accessed from the lower right cover. It says Mobile Version. We are still working on the skin but the mobile side of things is up and running.

8. Skins and Colors

We have updated the skins and colors as requested. We now have a Dark Skin as well as the lighter skin. You can adjust these in your profile or use these links

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/index.php?styleid=4Dark

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/index.php?styleid=3 Light

This is still a work in progress. Everyday we are adjusting or adding something. If there is something you feel needs to be adjusted, you can ask us to change it. If you are gonna rant and be a jerk about it, we will ignore your request or worse. While we appreciate the help and input, we will not stand for attacks against the site during the transition. We had 11 years to build on UBB we just crossed the 30 day mark for vBulletin. We are learning it the same as everyone else and don't have all the answers. Googling vBulletin is very easy and has a lot of answers. If you find an answer to help, please put us in that direction. If you just hate the difference between the old site and the new, you can keep your opinion to your self. Most people are fond of complaining before even trying or looking and that will not tolerated. We have a team on it, and these changes take time.

9. Adding Pictures and using your Enhanced Message Editor

To add in pictures, please go to your General Settings and change your Message Editor Options to either Standard or Enhanced. It defaults to basic which does not give you the options you are looking for. You can also drop in videos and links now without adding the code. We have a lot of features enabled that make cutting and paste text easy.

10. Online Training & New Member For Sale Section Subscriptions

To access the Online Training you can find the subscription link in your profile on the left. There is a section that says Paid Subscriptions. Here is where you can sign up for either the Online Training or New Member For Sale Section.
    Paid Subscriptions use Pay Pal and you can control your account in there. Again, a lot of the board is controlled by the user in their settings and profile area.

11. iTrader

We have installed a buyer and seller feedback modification called iTrader. It allows you to rate a sale. Please do not abuse this system or your account will be moderated. If you have not done actual business with the user you cannot leave feedback. Doing so will result in your account being banned. That includes posting things that the user is charging more for magazines than market value. iTrader is there to help the community, not to get even with, don't use it as a way to punish people you don't like.

Also users can lock their own threads and mark them sold when listing items for sale. Look at your navigation and thread tools for hidden features. There are two sets of additional navigation at the top on both the right and left side of your screen.

Here is an updated Site Information Post for people who may have missed it the first few times.
    6. Old Data from the UBB Site

The old site is gone, and the data only came over in the most basic, RAW form. Your old watched topics and subscribed threads are no longer working so you have to start over. Also the old photo gallery is not working. The two systems are so different there is just no way to get it too work because the code and text. What you see when it looks like HTML is the old UBB Code which is not being read by vBulletin. As time goes on we will cycle away from this, but in the mean time, understand it will not work and we can't make it work.

Searching Old Threads on the new Site / GOOGLE SEARCHES

If you are attempting to look up old information from the old site understand it is very different now. The old site is gone, there were over 2 million posts and we did not add a redirect for them, so if you attempt to access an old link you find yourself on the main page here. The old link will not work so if you see: snipers hide.com/forum in the address, don't bother clicking on that.

The new search engine on the top right is actually very good, have indexed the site and it will work. That should be the first place you try. If you want to use Google you have to search this site and not the old site. We have added this site to Google but the information from the old site is still present. 11 years is a long time, so you have to be specific when searching. In order to successfully search using Google tell it what you are looking for this way:

SITE:FORUM.SNIPERSHIDE.COM AND __________________ (Search term)

I'm still having issues with this anything else to suggest? Do I need to look for something specific in the URL string? I find when using the insite search feature I either have "too many results" or the results I get are not relevant.

Moving this to the top for those who still post the exact same question over and over, especially the lost post count crowd who insists that we care about the fact they only want to sell something.

Hmm, it maybe something with vB that I was not aware of that may make it impossible to continue the limit on the FS Section ?

If a by-product of this software is to never have a consistent post count when we do something, that may hurt the limits we have in place, forcing us to think of a new way around this ?

Hmm, it maybe something with vB that I was not aware of that may make it impossible to continue the limit on the FS Section ?

If a by-product of this software is to never have a consistent post count when we do something, that may hurt the limits we have in place, forcing us to think of a new way around this ?

Weird. Not sure what happened either, but I just noticed the change in post-count thing too. I went from north of 5k last night to roughly 150 or so less today. Hardly a big deal by any means, but still kinda odd.

Any way about it...it is what it is. Good luck on figuring it out and getting it fixed if that be an option. Thanks for all the continued hard work on the Hide, LL!

Thanks, Lowlight. I don't have anything to sell, nor am I trying to buy now, but I lost about 900 posts----which matters not at all now----and if you can find a solution, it would be nice to know that periodically we won't be reset to 0 by random chance. If it was for breaking a rule, I could understand. I just would want to know what I did wrong to get "punished."

I can see from the sheer number of people who were reset, it must be a systemic glitch-----I noticed that folks like Graham went from 8K+ down to about 2K, and even yours dropped by several K.

I don't want you to think I am bitching, because I am very grateful for the service you are doing us with hosting this site, and I know that it is probably more headaches than even quite a few. I just would be very grateful if there was a work-around for the minimum post count for some who have all ready done WTB or WTS posts-----thereby proving that they had reached 100 at a previous date. That might be a way to get around the random resets????? Just a thought.

Anyway, good luck with figuring it out, and thank again in advance. :D

I have no idea, I know we did some things on the backside today (earlier in the day) which I would think was the culprit, but also they are working on the DB and had an issue here about 3PM which may also account for it.

they are moving us to a new DB Server to hopefully fix the connection hiccups we are having, so it might have something to do with that.

Either way i will look into and if that means, eliminating the FS Section limits that will be what we have to do, but then you all risk determining who is worth buying from and who is not ...

The limits on the FS using post count was for the membership's protection to prevent people from logging on to scam you... (we saw it happen in the past) so if we remove the blocks the question of self protection needs to be above and beyond on the buyers / sellers part, really a tricky thing because if some one gets burned it 100% on you, there is no recourse but to ban the account

The limits on the FS using post count was for the membership's protection to prevent people from logging on to scam you... (we saw it happen in the past) so if we remove the blocks the question of self protection needs to be above and beyond on the buyers / sellers part, really a tricky thing because if some one gets burned it 100% on you, there is no recourse but to ban the account

...and that is a really good way of going about it, in addition to the G2G list's that are/were out there. I personally WOULD be concerned buying/selling from someone with two post's...but that is just me.

But the software removing posts from people creates a problem. Uncle Sniper above has 4 transactions in his feedback, but only 3 posts now... so you don't know who you are buying from if the site is gonna prune posts from people when we update things ... My guess is removing the 2nd Amend section today removed most of those posts, but I still don't know what happened

Well, I did get a lot of my posts in on the 2nd Amendment section, so that could be part of it. But, I think I had north of half of my posts in reloading discussions etc.
    could it be that anyone who took part in the 2nd Amendment forum lost up to xxxx number of posts???
    Please understand, I am not mad about this---I merely am trying to help you figure it out if I can.
    Thanks for the site.

Doubtful that removing the 2A section had any impact on post counts - I did have a hundred or so posts there...but I lost over 800 total posts.

Best way to get it figured out is a good debug...I know it was around 3PM EST today. I was logged in at the time and the site started taking a log time to load...then all of a sudden I posted in a thread (Hide and Seek) and noticed that my post count went to 1.

Somewhere in the code there's something checking against our post counts and there's a IF/THEN statement that's doing something it shouldn't. If the site was resetting itself it would make sense if I lost everything in my profile...but my profile and feedback info remains unchanged...only post counts have been affected.

I got a reply back that basically confirmed it will prune the post count based on what it reads from the database

Yes, it will always automatically adjust it
    based off the count in the database.

So, now it's time to consider another way to limit to the FS section... seems like vBulletin has some unintended consequences

I got a reply back that basically confirmed it will prune the post count based on what it reads from the database

So, now it's time to consider another way to limit to the FS section... seems like vBulletin has some unintended consequences

You don't really have too many options unfortunately. You have join date, post count or feedback score. Post count is out...join date is possible...feedback rating might work, but requires you to purchase items first...

Guess I would vote for join date. 4 Months and/or a 100 post min? That way you can always get your 100 posts back fairly easily if lost, but you will always be able to tell who is really GTG by the join date.

I lost about 600 posts from the switch to the new site. Today i lost my remaining 817 posts. I don't understand how some of us lose all of our posts in one day while i notice other people have not lost any !

You act like I wrote the software and designed it to do this...

you dont understand, great, i have no clue either as I didn;t do it, nor did i have any hand in the design.

Go to vBulletin 5 Connect, The World's Leading Community Software and ask them... as if I have an answer, once the DB changes are made I will see if we can do something about it, but otherwise posting stupid comments like I have some insight into the reason doesn't help the situation

You act like I wrote the software and designed it to do this...

you dont understand, great, i have no clue either as I didn;t do it, nor did i have any hand in the design.

Go to vBulletin 5 Connect, The World's Leading Community Software and ask them... as if I have an answer, once the DB changes are made I will see if we can do something about it, but otherwise posting stupid comments like I have some insight into the reason doesn't help the situation

I never said you wrote the software nor do i think you had anything to do with the post count losses. I am just saying it is weird how some lost all of their posts and some lost half and some lost none.

It's just strange that's all.

I personally am with Thrusty, maybe a 4 month and/or 100+ post count for the FS section....If your post count gets deleted, you will still have your tenure that you can fall back on. Its your site Frank, and i know you will do whats best for the site. Thanks for the update from VB.

How about don't even show post counts anymore. Its a status thing on this site and everyone gets pissed when they disappear including myself. I have been reduced to 0 posts and now feel like something in my life is missing. I'll get over it if I can sell on here without them though.
    I think being a member for a year minimum should quality someone to sell. If the post counts keep disappearing there is no point in basing any privilege on them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

What I find interesting is all my posts(120) are still in my profile...recent posts... My post count did go to zero but I can still retrieve those things that I try to keep up with.

personally, i think post count is directly attributed to your "cool factor", so if you lost posts then you obviously must have lost cool factor points...lol

night eagle ps i lost a bunch also so my cool factor def went down lol

Is the Site really broken in regards to post count and privileges???

LowLight, I don't know for sure, but I read another member's post about this recent loss of post count, and he said he adjusted his profile to read full member in the permission groups, and it allowed him to still access the "For Sale" section of the Hide. I did likewise, and then went to the for sale section, and It does give me the "Post New Thread" option in the top.
    Maybe this is intentional on the part of you and the site designer/software team, or maybe the counter just stopped working right but internally the software is keeping us able to sell because we have reached 100 previously.
    Just thought I'd pass this on to you incase you wanted to look into it further. Maybe we didn't lose that ability at all????
    Sorry to bother you, and I hope this might help in figuring out what is happening. :D
    Thanks for the Site, and Hosting It,

Log out and log back in, you have full member status on the back end, so ...

As I have noted in the past, I am not working on individual accounts there are too many of them.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I hadn't seen the thread you wrote yesterday, and I was trying to pass on info I saw on another thread which I had verified. I did not mean to bother you, and certainly wasn't asking you to do anything to my account, as I was trying to say it appeared to be working okay.
    Sorry to bother you.

Is it possible when you start a thread meant for everyone on the site to have it stay at the top for a week or so? I have come across a couple of these threads by you recently a few days after they were started, and almost by accident. Not knowing they even existed, nor what they might be classed under, I wouldn't even know where to begin doing a search for them. If there was a way for administrators to start a thread that would stay on the first page at least for a week or so, it might help you guys out by cutting down the number of pm's you get, or the number of posts you get on other related threads such as this one.

I just thought that something of this nature might be of benefit you you all as you continue to host this Fine Site.

Thanks again for your patience with us all,

Last edited:
    LL, Since the changes that were made, now when making a post and I imbed a link to Photobucket for pics, it tells me my posts will not show up until a moderator approves them. I noticed this yesterday and the post that was made at that time has still not shown up. Just made another post on a different topic within the forum and get the same message.

Can you tell me for what reason that would be happening now?

Thanks

Ok, I have a AR 15, it's LWRC Spartan 1 of 300.
    I am wanting to sell. How do I post it here. A friend on arrow talk told me about sniper-hide

bburns,
    Go to the sniper's hide post exchange section and under New Members you will find a sticky at the top with the information you are seeking.

You have to buy access to the New Member for sale section

In your control panel on the left, (same place you can see your PMs ) there is a link for Paid Subscriptions go in there, pay $20