• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Site Lite: SL-100, SL-150 and SL-500 - Laser Bore Site

Samuel Whittemore

in memory
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2018
    So I'm posting here in the hopes of saving someone else the run around... This relates to any rifle with a handrail. In specific my Ruger 300 PRC Model 18083 and my Savage BA110

First I bought the SL-100. Then, after paying another $100 to upgrade from the SL-100 RED LASER to the SL-500 GREEN LASER because on initial testing I found the RED LASER even on a cloudy day is useless.... Sadly... I did not stop to check things out more thoroughly when I discovered that NEITHER the SL100 or SL500 will work with barrels that have handrail protection. Not unless one wants to:

1) remove the handrail.
    2) mount the scope.
    3) take measurements.
    4) unmount scope.
    5) remount handrail.
    6) remount the scope.
    7) calculate and bore site.

Kinda defeats the ease of use. As does just guesstimating it. It's meant to be precise and accurate tool.. so a fraction off in barrel-to-scope measurement could mean inches off on the target it calculates.

ALSO. In the software 300 PRC bullet is not listed. Nor could I find in the 30 caliber range in the list of bullets that went up to 225 grain and 250 grains. Then again I gave up after checking about 3 or 4.

As an aside... the software application interface is really antiquated.

It really should have a smartphone app as well so one could use it at the range.

Having said all that --if you have a rifle with NO HANDRAIL --it seems like it would be a good app.

Back to bore sighting the old school way.

slide-SL500.png

rail-barrel.jpg

Attachments

• rail-barrel.jpg
      rail-barrel.jpg
      230.9 KB · Views: 158
    Last edited:
    you shouldn't need a laser for a bolt action or really any rifle to bore sight.