• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Site Search Changes

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    The search capability that has been so lacking has been changed to a texted file using UBB and taken off the MYSQL Server which limited the number of words, letters and numbers that could be used to search.

Now we are using an internal engine that is a bit slower, but should prove to be more effective for shorter words and numbers like "TRG" and "30*"

Please try out the new search and understand to get anything better would require a substantial outlay of money, as Google to install a search capability on the site charges well over $2000 for a site of this size.

Re: Site Search Changes

Thanks Lowlight, this should help many of us nobs not get flamed..... as often.

Much thanks, Frank.

Greg

PS; Don't know if its related, but site response today has been extremely slow. Slowest I've seen in years.

Not an expert, but if this turns out to be related to the search upgrade; the older search engine never gave me any real trouble.

PPS ...and now its running quick again. I don't know...

Thanks lowlight, Ive always had some trouble with search engine. The change sounds great. We appreciate everything you do for us.

Hi Frank,

I used to love the old search back a few years ago that gave the option to just return the main thread.. not all the responses to each individual thread. Then if I found a promising thread topic I could open it and read all the replies. Is there a way to bring this back. Right now it is a pain to do a search and see the first 3 pages reponses to the same post.

Just curious as I think that would really help limit some of the posts if that feature were able to be added again.

Thanks and keep up the great work.. much appreciated.
    John

I think this is a far more effective way to search the site:

A Google advanced search input screen is shown below. That search turned up more than 3900 links to posts with mil, moa, and hunting in them. Some of them are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> related to hunting, but many are.

The Google advanced search, restricted to snipershide.com as shown in the input screen, is by far the best way to search this site. Feel free to click on "Date, Usage Rights,..." to further restrict the search.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

hidesearch.jpg

Very nice... I'll give that a shot. I use Google as my main search engine.. but never the advanced search before. Thanks Lindy!