• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sitting in the hospital, debating my next purchase.

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Well boys, my wife gave birth to our first kid, a Son. 8lbs 1 oz and 21”.

It was an amazing process and I’m excited to move forward in life with her and our new son.

I’d like to purchase his first rifle. I want something like a savage rascal/ keystone cricket. A youth size rifle that a kid can get used to shouldering and using irons with. I’d like something that’s a bit nicer, something he can pass along to his son in the future. Maybe a 457 scout or similar?

What have you guys gone with for those of you that did similar?

Congrats! My uncle bought my first son a Henry rifle, make of that what you will…

I have 3 sons now and need to start gathering pieces for several guns, of several flavors, for each of them.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
\o/ congrats! something nice of his vintage would be special.

You can always pick up a Red Rider I started 2 of my 3 sons off with Red Ryder's and still have them. My oldest son was so tall for his age about 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4 now that I actual started him off with a break open single shot pellet rifle. My twins ont he other hand at the same age could barley handle a Red Ryder they take after my wifes side and are very small stature.

Being close to 50 years old I would look to get a nice bolt action 22. The prices keep going up and up and they keep getting made more and more cheaply. I would prob. be looking at a gently used CZ or a Howa. That or maybe a Mini Howa in 6.5 Grendel.

When I bought my Ruger 10/22 I paid full price at Walmart and it was $149. Price one today! I think the Howa 1100 Bolt Action 22 is around $549 more than what I paid in 1998 for a Winchester Super Grade 338 Win Mag from Gander Mountain. So think long term not short term. If you wait for him to be old enough to need a 22LR bolt gun to learn to shoot precise and read the wind a Howa 22 will be $1200 think I am joking???
Congrats on your son! Is there anything more American than a Daisy ( as I type this, I have an overwhelming desire to check and see if they`re now made in China ! ) ? Looked it up. Still American!

Last edited:
If you want an heirloom type rifle, you need to start with top tier stuff, well mid tier stuff by the hides standards. Firearms appreciate, but not necessarily the low end stuff. I bought a rascal for my kids, its super fun, but not heir loom quality, I think you are on the right track with a cz.

abybIf you want an heirloom type rifle, you need to start with top tier stuff, well mid tier stuff by the hides standards. Firearms appreciate, but not necessarily the low end stuff. I bought a rascal for my kids, its super fun, but not heir loom quality, I think you are on the right track with a cz.
Unless you got lots of money, what you would pay for what passes for " top tier " on SH probably ought to be going into an education account for that baby IMHO.

I wouldnt necessarily buy something “top shelf “. But I would buy something he can grow into. I have a 9 year old shooting a Cz 457, I have no regrets. It I let the kid clean it and maintain it and everything. It’s a learning process. They’re gonna make mistakes and drop things and run the wrong size brushes and shit. Don’t buy something you can’t afford to lose or damage.

Id go midtier and let them learn, before you drop any real money.

Congrats, welcome to the club. This is something I've been pondering for my daughter as well. Some things another buddy mentioned that I'll put here, make an email address in their name, send all the pictures you take/ videos to the email and then give them the password when they turn 18. The second thing he said was to buy a bottle of whiskey when they're born and share it with them on their 21st birthday. Third, start them a roth ira account as soon as you get their social security number.

First off, congratulations.

I agree on the 457 scout, you can buy it & then get other barrels, stocks, chassis, scopes etc to have it grow with him & spend quality time doing the changes as well as shooting.

You have reminded me to go out to try & get one made 3 years ago so it will be the same year as my first grandson.
Will then pick up extra bits & pieces for it as time & spare $ are available.

Grats! CZ 457 of some kind sounds like a good buy.
Unless you got lots of money, what you would pay for what passes for " top tier " on SH probably ought to be going into an education account for that baby IMHO.
Stop sending everyone to college.

My son’s first rifle was a CZ 452 Scout. Now he has a 457 in a chassis along with several other bolt guns.

I really wish I would have bought him a birth year Colt 1911 new when he was born. I did eventually get one used, but it’s not complete with box and papers. When he turns 21 that’s going to be his birthday gift.

Grats! CZ 457 of some kind sounds like a good buy.

Stop sending everyone to college.
Well, notice I said " education ", not " college ". Assuming the child is not a savant, training of some kind ( college, trade school, etc. ) will most likely be necessary. I doubt that that will come for free.

Reactions: TheOE800
Congrats. And a Cooper 22lr with a separate shorter stock should make a nice lifelong gift that will stay with him forever.

just be prepared to pony up around $500K for that boy haha.. make sure you have everything for him set up first before buying him toys he might not even be interested in

Congratulations on your kid!! To be honest, I clicked on the thread after reading the title envisioning someone like Kentucky Ballistics all bandaged up crossing the Serbu RN-50 off his list.
Kentucky-man-50-caliber-gun-exploded-face.png

Reactions: Ronws
Depends on what he is going to do with it. I don't see anything wrong with a .223 R. When I was 10, I was learning to shoot a .38 Police Special revolver. By 12, I was shooting a semi-auto 12 ga. Granted, I have always been big and tough. But it was not bad, really. Anyway, any advice in here is great.

Congrats on the baby boy. How about a scary story? I was born a week or so early (I was in a hurry, evidently,) and I was in breach position and on my umibilical cord. I was born by c-section, 21 inches tall, 10 lbs 12 oz. The nurse put me on a scale and said, "football player." (In Jr High, I played nose guard and right defensive tackle. Never had to try out, I was the biggest kid in school.)

When it was time to go home, the nurse told my mother that I could drive her home.

Your wilfe will say, "Oh my God!"

Reactions: mj1995
Congrats on your son! Is there anything more American than a Daisy ( as I type this, I have an overwhelming desire to check and see if they`re now made in China ! ) ? Looked it up. Still American!
Have a few spring/air rifles. The few that I do have are diana rifles, which I inherited. I couldn’t break that barrel until I was 13 though.

I’ll look into some other types of BB guns.

just be prepared to pony up around $500K for that boy haha.. make sure you have everything for him set up first before buying him toys he might not even be interested in
Don’t have his SS number or birth certificate yet, but I have money set aside for a Roth IRA and I’m debating on wether or not to do a PA529 savings plan for him. It’s essentially “buying” state tuition credits now at todays prices for when/ if he wants to go to school. If he doesn’t go to school or goes into a trade, he can withdraw the money and it acts like a savings account.

I’m also considering buying a piece of property/ rental in a trust and listing him as a trustee… I’d have to look into that a little more though