• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sizing 223

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
I have a redding "s" neck sizing die and the body die. When "bumping" the cartridge is there a why to measure the "bump". I have heard of it but can not find any info that gives the way to measure?

Thanks in advance, Uncledog

Re: sizing 223

Yep, Hornady makes a headspace gauge kit, someone else does as well but I think they call it something different, in conjunction with a decent caliper allows you to measure form base to datum line on shoulder of case consistently.

There are a few different tools that I know of:

RCBS Precision Mic
Redding Instant Indicator
Hornady comparator inserts
Sinclair comparator inserts
Larry Willis' gauge

I'd probably start with either the RCBS or a comparator (Sinclair or Hornady), because they're not that expensive and can be used quickly and accurately.

The gauge you want is a "bump gauge", not a "comparator" A comparator measures the ogive on a bullet for C.O.L., an entirely different gauge than a bump gauge. The bump gauge is also called a headspace gauge.

A bump gauge is used to precisely set your F/L die to size minimally to your rifle's chamber. It will help brass life.

Buy the Sinclair bump gauge. Buy the XL body so you can measure loaded rounds. It's more precise (steel) than the Hornady (aluminum) bump gauge.

Thank you guys.
Flight762, I knew there was a bump gauge of sorts? And I have a comprator so I knew it wasn't that. I did npt know the go/no gauge would measure the "bump"? I'm I clear on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you guys.
Flight762, I knew there was a bump gauge of sorts? And I have a comprator so I knew it wasn't that. I did npt know the go/no gauge would measure the "bump"? I'm I clear on that? </div></div>

Its Not a chamber headspace gauge set you want, the go/no go devices you refer to, those are solely for checking chamber dimensions and not applicabe to reloading. The device you are looking for is for measuring datum line/shoulder to base of cartridge, its description will say as much. They are called headspace gauges often but are not the same as the gunsmithing implement. Search any reloading supply website under reloading gauges and you will find them, most are for use with calipers, but IIRC not all.

Maybe this will help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n_l-bYxbg0

Here it is in print: http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2011/01/31/setting-up-your-full-length-sizing-die/

I prefer the Sinclair system over the Hornady system because Sinclair uses steel gauge inserts which have a shoulder step in them.. The Hornady system uses aluminum inserts that are cut with a round hole.

If you decide to get the Sinclair system, buy the XL bump gauge body, it will let you measure loaded cartridges. The regular sized gauge body will not. They're the same price.

The inserts: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=74...49011476_d_5599

The gauge body: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=74...49002552_d_5599

The gauge body also works with comparator inserts.

I prefer using the Sinclair bump gauge set up with a set of digital calipers rather than a Wilson drop in style gauge ( <span style="font-weight: bold">here's a good video showing it's use</span> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkWQde_b2G8 ) because you get to see the numbers of much or how little you are bumping the shoulder of your brass when F/L sizing. Watch the above Wilson video it explains what you are trying to accomplish. You do the same with the Sinclair bump gauge, but instead of feel, you get to see the numbers.

I hope this helps you understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gauge you want is a "bump gauge", not a "comparator" A comparator measures the ogive on a bullet for C.O.L., an entirely different gauge than a bump gauge. The bump gauge is also called a headspace gauge.
</div></div>
You're correct in terms of what Sinclair and Hornady call it, although I'm not sure why the one for bullets is referred to as a comparator and the one for headspace isn't.

boltgunlovr I'm loading bolt.
Flight762 I bought the Sinclair tool. Thank you for all the info! I really appreciate it.
Beef We were on the right track.
Thank you again to everyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boltgunlovr I'm loading bolt.
Flight762 I bought the Sinclair tool. Thank you for all the info! I really appreciate it.
Thank you again to everyone! </div></div>

I had a specialty gauges years ago and chuncked them. I went back to the oldschool method of an empty unprimed case, with just enough neck tension to grab a bullet, chamber & unchamber very carefully (make sure to use your finger to keep the cartridge in line with the chamber when extracting, very tricky), use your caliper to take readings, repeat several times, then it's up to you to find the seating depth your gun shoots well with whatever powder/powder chrg.....gauges, schmages, cages........no school like the old school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boltgunlovr I'm loading bolt.

I had a specialty gauges years ago and chuncked them. I went back to the oldschool method of an empty unprimed case, with just enough neck tension to grab a bullet, chamber & unchamber very carefully (make sure to use your finger to keep the cartridge in line with the chamber when extracting, very tricky), use your caliper to take readings, repeat several times, then it's up to you to find the seating depth your gun shoots well with whatever powder/powder chrg.....gauges, schmages, cages........no school like the old school. </div></div>

The topic in this thread is bumping the shoulder back in your F/L sizing die to properly set the headspace in a particular rifle, not how to get your maximum COAL to the lands with a particular bullet for your bullet seating length. Your old school method works well for that.

The old school method for setting your F/L die and bumping the shoulder for a good press fit entailed smoking or marking the shoulder area of the case and slowly adjusting the F/L die to kiss the shoulder and get a proper F/L fit for that rifle. It is a bit time consuming, but will work.

The gauges to measure shoulder bump are much better and less time consuming than the old school method for this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boltgunlovr I'm loading bolt.

I had a specialty gauges years ago and chuncked them. I went back to the oldschool method of an empty unprimed case, with just enough neck tension to grab a bullet, chamber & unchamber very carefully (make sure to use your finger to keep the cartridge in line with the chamber when extracting, very tricky), use your caliper to take readings, repeat several times, then it's up to you to find the seating depth your gun shoots well with whatever powder/powder chrg.....gauges, schmages, cages........no school like the old school. </div></div>

The topic in this thread is bumping the shoulder back in your F/L sizing die to properly set the headspace in a particular rifle, not how to get your maximum COAL to the lands with a particular bullet for your bullet seating length. Your old school method works well for that.

The old school method for setting your F/L die and bumping the shoulder for a good press fit entailed smoking or marking the shoulder area of the case and slowly adjusting the F/L die to kiss the shoulder and get a proper F/L fit for that rifle. It is a bit time consuming, but will work.

The gauges to measure shoulder bump are much better and less time consuming than the old school method for this. </div></div>

Very true. Setting one's FL sizing die works great, but then one must readjust for true FL sizing when needed and that takes a little additional time, unless one has 2 FL dies on hand. I always try to maximize my time because I don't get much of it. Great point.