• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sizing Die Question

J. W.

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2023
NW LA
Getting set up with mandrels, but haven't used them yet.

Question: Before using the mandrel, should I use a standard FL sizing die (own one) with the expander ball removed, or should I use a bushing die (would have to buy one)? I'm guessing either would work, but I wanted to check and see.

Thanks

Either will work but the full length bushing die can possibly be set to work your necks less. Measure the neck of a loaded round and then run a piece through your die with the expander removed and measure the neck to compare. You may not even benefit from a bushing die if your die doesn’t overwork the neck.

Standard FL dies produce more spring back than bushing dies with the correct bushing installed which dictates a different mandrel diameter depending on which one you have.

Reactions: J. W.
Standard FL dies produce more spring back than bushing dies with the correct bushing installed which dictates a different mandrel diameter depending on which one you have.
And it sounds like more work on the brass. If I anneal, does it matter?

And it sounds like more work on the brass. If I anneal, does it matter?
Annealing will surely help . The more consistent your brass is the better .

If you anneal every firing, a regular FL die will be fine, but there will be quite a bit of engagement with the mandrel in the following step.

Whether you want to call it "neck tension", "bullet hold", or "spring-back", etc... be mindful that the mouth of the case will grab and grip onto the bullet more strongly than if you had sized the brass more conservatively in the first step. If that amount of "tension" shoots well, you're good.

If not... a bushing die would allow you to play with bushings to work the brass the least (if that's your bag) or experiment to find the right amount of engagement you want with the mandrel (if that's your bag).

Arguably, a custom-honed FL die that works the brass less than a standard FL die is best.