• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sizing Die?

Re: Sizing Die?

I use Wilson dies for seating and neck sizing. I use Redding body dies also. Both Wilson and Redding make excellent products.
myerfire

This may be stating the obvious but you are aware that the Wilson die is an arbour press die not a 7/8x14 threaded die.
If you also use a Redding body die for shoulder bump etc which are excellent you will need two presses. Just mentioning it incase you did not think of that.

I prefer the Redding "S" full length sizing die (bushing) and a Redding Comp seater die. But everyone to whatever makes them happy.

Good call Country, didn't know that shure woulda been pissed when it came in! lol The seating dies I've been using can throw it .005 or more at anytime either way. Not for shure, but it could cause me problems if it goes any farther into the lands than it already is. Shure be glad when load development is over!! I was so lucky and found a great load jummping the Scenars, But for no reason I needed 200 Berger VLD's to make me insane!!
Thanks for all the help, H5N1

For threaded dies, Forster or Redding. For non-mic seating die, Forster; the standard Redding seater is not comparable.

The hierarchy my 223 arsenal:
1) Lee Collet die
2) Forster FL die with neck honed out at the factory
3) Redding FL "S" die
4) RCBS FL die
5) Lee FL die

I do not have a Wilson neck die in the same cartridge as all the others for comparison in brass growth and concentricity, but my 243 experiments with it do not look as good as the Lee Collet die.

I keep RCBS and Redding in stock. For the stuff I really don't shoot much of (like my enfield and war relic stuff that's not BR quality) I have some Lee dies.

Everything that you can do with a micrometer die you can do with a standard threaded die, it's just painfully time consuming. Once you get the die set, don't touch it unless you decide to change bullets for some reason.

My RCBS threaded seating die for 30-06 will seat it within 1/2 thousandth every time. I don't measure with a mic to check the COL, I just use a set of digital Mitutoyo's that have a +/- .0005 output. The current batch right now is 3.3950 +/- .0005 every single one of the 50 I have sitting here.

I got the bergers to shoot!Lapua brass 42gr IMR 4350 @ 3009fps avg. But the old die I've been using took forever to load, I finished with half of them on the "to short" side of the ammo box and the rest between 2.818 and 2.810 . But they held .5 to.6 MOA @300(I'm over VLD's @ 100) and did 10in at 800.(Could be the indian not the arrow) Thanks for the feedback