• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sizing help needed

fatdaddy1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Eatonton, Ga.
o.k. I have a 1000 rounds of Lake City 308 brass, I am pretty sure it was shot through a m-60 or M-14. The cases need to be full length sized..what is the best die to get to be able to salvage this brass? Is it worth the effort, or should I just chunk this brass and buy new brass?

Re: sizing help needed

I use Redding neck bushing F/L dies.
You will also need a case trimmer cause them cases are going to "grow" some when you size'em.
Get a cartridge case gage so you know you are setting the h/space right.
How much reloading have you done??
Respectfully,
LG

I have just started back afetr being out of it for 20+ years. I have a case trimmer,I was thinking of a redding body die and buying a case guage.
Thank you for the response.

A body die doesn't touch the neck...
I strongly suggest you full length size this brass in 1 setting.
I use this mil. type brass all the time and it makes good "blasting" ammo. BUT you MUST F/L size it and trim.
Oh-you have to remove the primer crip too.
Respectfully,
LG

Make sure the brass is CLEAN. It doesn't have to shine like new money. Just if it has any grit or crud, you stand a chance of doing damage to your dies.

For crimped in primers, I prefer a Lee punch and base. You use a hammer to knock the spent primers out. Or use a standard decapping die. Several companies make them.

Like Lumpy said, you still have to get rid of the primer crimp. I prefer to swage it out with an RCBS swage die. But others "cut" it out with a chamfering tool.

Good luck.