• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sk long range ammo

1fliride

Master baiter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2013
WV
anyone have issues with temp stability with sk long range ammo ?
Seems to shoot extremely well when is cold. Gets warm and goes to crap.

Just started shooting SK LR myself. Shot better than Lapua for me. More time on my CZ and groups are getting even better. This is in 105 + degree Vegas weather.

Reactions: 1fliride
Most everything shoots well in my cz. Was hoping for better results at 500yds

Don't let the label fool ya'.
That's merely a sales gimmick attempting to take advantage
of the recent surge in extended range shooting with 22lr.
It's still an SK product with a cost per round indicating
the fact that the intent is a midgrade ammo.
I've had some boxes that were decent and some that weren't.
Typical of what I expect from midgrade 22lr.
Not the best ES I've chronied either.
MV spread is vertical dispersion...the longer the time of flight the worse the results.

MV spread is vertical dispersion...the longer the time of flight the worse the results.
Yea seems to be the case. Center x it is.

Reactions: Malibuss
Or, possibly some Fiocchi Exacta Winter.
I've tried it several times and been pleasantly surprised.
Cheaper than Tenex or Midas+. ;)

dv1JUP2PKkDSFTeEq9ZSPZ0a9D5FF8axlCmkHVEVelxpxaSw3lla9SFRkmmJCuNX20-0Py-VtYjzYNSTwf3KTlGGX0NmetWONPjZcbpGQhZptb6jIq46EnPJ1vc6O6q4X9NoDk-amvo9VU4OhF39Q3IX8IlVtHkRQQ6LaiW4no-dc9MGdWcxwpjyRf95V9gzpWmefr8SnXfcB5nmWQC4UPCwrKkFf33S9nV38ad9Plzf5SyUUC6YV-5q3aMvGhUOAAik_Hz-aau318ZqMykZIQpzM3BJxeaxKvJmgPoft9nK8S7flO90V1QDd8Sj6MxkqIteLU7MNSOhXDzazfaZJ9VZ3asmLqxjJIfSeYbotEHDheofUZWLtlLZClLGSpRHml_HCGlayLGoUoUASwyBYi2dBr9LNlV-3sbzfDODSPeSu1bF-uHYrPWP1Dg2nBrYuKsL2RPTXybKkk9jr7dUkjoiFBP2Mj4wPZpbxS5n8ImdeS_qK7oA6su5BtH1WE8W566QPprq1FHRMmsBvBkdaf1ADihkh_GHg0bHWr5jfDUYAJCUwFuU8eG0kk43RojmD2NEj6fGxML4atBhCYT6RVAIIrF51k2j69NVcTpvSeUaDScyRHCYqwQsqrikCne8d4OprOh8nkzrm_af_pVGxKe32qPMTMSbSkHkcSOZIfwankFKEVhxzEJU-0B7t-Y1ZumyBopLHIBHLDIKScq8SMT8=w474-h626-no

Or, possibly some Fiocchi Winter Exacta.
I've tried it several times and been pleasantly surprised.
Cheaper than Tenex or Midas+. ;)
Ive had decent luck with norma tac22. Past 100 it falls apart. But is solid up to that point.
Have a pile of 22 to choose from

I don't know about how temp sensitive it is but I will say that the 10 rounds I chrono'd this morning sucked. SD in the lower 20's

Just about every 22 ammo I have tried is temperature sensitive. It seems like about every 10 degrees makes a difference in velocity. The summer and winter velocity difference on the Eley Force I have is about 30-40 FPS. I saw the same with Eley Contact. 1100 FPS in the summer. 1060 in the winter.

I shoot SK rifle match a lot. It is really great through my Annie....this stuff is no bueno. Lots of flyers. No real advantage other than a little less elevation ...not a fan

i shoot sk long range and my cz 457 loves it. there is for sure a difference between seasons though. Winter and spring it was slower and a had a wider spread. once it warmed up here in maryland the mv tightened up for me. i get SD around 9 or 10 and MV ES around 30-40 fps. not awesome by any means but good enough for me and rimfire prs style shooting. i also have a bartlein barrel headspaced to my action and not the factory barrel though

Just about every 22 ammo I have tried is temperature sensitive. It seems like about every 10 degrees makes a difference in velocity. The summer and winter velocity difference on the Eley Force I have is about 30-40 FPS. I saw the same with Eley Contact. 1100 FPS in the summer. 1060 in the winter.

2 years ago I ran a little temperature experiment with CCI SV's, Federal Ultra Match and Lapua Center-X. It was a very warm day (somewhere in the low 90's F) and had a box of 50 rounds each in the refrigerator overnight to be sure they were well cooled, which I put in a small cooler packed with some dry ice to keep them cool. I pulled them out individually to fire to be sure they stay cool. In measuring them when cool before firing, they were 45-50°F, so lets say a 40° difference. The CCI SV's I had showed a 10-11 fps difference with lower SD's and on paper showed improved performance at the lower temperature. The Federal Ultra Match had higher SD's and a difference of 30 fps and the lower temperature made them perform worse. The Center-X was pretty stable with almost no difference in SD's and only 8 fps difference and saw no perceptible change in performance on paper.

So, like with centerfire cartridges, how the 22 rimfire cartridges are loaded and with what powder results can be quite different among them.

I have been told that most of the winter biathlon type ammo is more temp stable but I have not tried it. Right now I shoot SK in my Vudoo and I have not observed a huge velocity swing in it. That said I haven’t got to really shoot it in the cold yet. All the Eley ammo I have shot has crazy swings though. I don’t shoot their premium stuff though. I just stick with Contact and Force. If I moved up to the ammo that is costing $10-15 a box it may be a little more temperature stable. I just Made a point of making notes on the temperature and dope for my ammo so I could make temperature adjustments on my ballistic tables. Now I let the software do all the work.

One thing I will add is if you are shooting matches keep your ammo out of the sun. I keep mine in my bag such that it is a little insulated. Even if it is 70 degrees and your ammo is baking in the sun for an hour it can make a difference. Dont ask me how I know this 😊

Reactions: straightshooter1
Been trying to pin own some good ammo for my new T1X. I know every rifle is different but man it sure seems like everyone's all over the map when it comes to .22/rimfire...

Every rifle is different.. true, but here's a thought:
Maybe it's not the rifles, but cartridge quality that is the true culprit.
I've tried every brand and type of 22lr available over the past two years.
Never found a brand or type any of my rifles "liked".
I found boxes and bricks of cartridges that were well made,
that had tight mv's.
When I did, they produced great results from all my rifles.
It's not that the rifles are different, but that ammo quality is not a constant.
It varies, minute by minute, as it comes off the assembly line.
The real reason our results vary so much, is that cartridge quality does too.

Been trying to pin own some good ammo for my new T1X. I know every rifle is different but man it sure seems like everyone's all over the map when it comes to .22/rimfire...

In general my Tikka shot everything pretty decent. I used to practice with CCI SV. It didn’t shoot great but it was good enough for positional practice inside 100 yards. I usually stick to practicing inside 100 because it’s all about smooth transitions and building a stable position. That is easy enough to do inside 100 yards using smaller targets. If you want to try a mid grade ammo for competition try Eley Contact or SK Standard +. I used to compete with Contact. If you don’t mind spending a little more on ammo try Center X or Eley Edge. Any of those should shoot pretty well regardless of lot inside 100. Past 100 lot number and the limitations of a factory barrel will start to show. When I used my factory barrel on my Tikka to compete I found that the $4-6 a box ammo was the sweet spot. The more expensive ammo did shoot a little better but not enough to justify spending twice the money on it.

Like everyone here I’ve tried a bunch through my vudoo.

I’ve stopped looking and just buy center-x.
Easily the best bang for the buck, still not cheap but we are not talking budget here.

A close second is SK.

Below 40-45 they both start opening up, sk a little more so.

Everything else I buy on sale or remainders of trials I let the kids use at 100 on KYL racks, cans, eggs etc.

I will say Center X is the universally recognized easy choice from all the threads and stuff I've read online.

I shoot 3 different rifles and it seems Center X and SKRM switch places for top accuracy all the time. Both being shot on the same set up one after another. There is a lot of days SK+ keeps up with them also. SKLR for me seems to shoot on par with SKRM.

I have done quite a bit of testing with the SK LR ammo.
It has been very stable and downright accurate in most factory and match barrels.
Temps have been non-issue as of yet...

My first brick of SK LR was amazing so much so I bought another brick. That brick was so much different as I would get 1-2 nice groups and then I would get several flyer that were like 4 inches out of the group. It was so bad I thought my scope went south and sent it in for repair (scope was fine). Went back to CenterX and everything is great again. I really thought the SK LR was the ticket for the 200 + yd targets but now not so much. As far as temps that might have been ans issue as when I started with the first brick it was in the low 80s and recently we shoot in the high 90s and 100+ sometime. Have to do some testing....

E2140475-8556-4AFC-BF2E-742CB87D0C26.png
Sk long range has some inconsistencies but I put it right about equal with center x. This is a target with my vudoo at 100 yards. Best 100 yard 5 shot group to date .270” .

My first brick of SK LR was amazing so much so I bought another brick. That brick was so much different as I would get 1-2 nice groups and then I would get several flyer that were like 4 inches out of the group. It was so bad I thought my scope went south and sent it in for repair (scope was fine). Went back to CenterX and everything is great again. I really thought the SK LR was the ticket for the 200 + yd targets but now not so much. As far as temps that might have been ans issue as when I started with the first brick it was in the low 80s and recently we shoot in the high 90s and 100+ sometime. Have to do some testing....
We are all at the mercy of velocity inconsistency. Without being able to roll your own, it's just the way it is. You get good batches and not so good batches.