• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SK Long Range match

DLS

Venatic
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
In the right lane
I saw where the most popular ammo at the World PRS championship was SK LR match. I had not seen it to buy until last week.
Got a brick just to see how it performs from Nedved and it arrived today along with my Garmin Xero chronograp. Shout out to them for fast shipping!!
Anyhow my Vudoo seems to like this stuff pretty well. I shot 30 rounds 5 at 50 just to check zero then 15 shot group at 115 yards (we don’t have a 100yd) and then 10 at 200yds. Wind was light 2/3mph at 3:00 so at 200 slight horizontal.
My 15 shot group at 115 I actually measured and it was exactly 1 inch center to center which gave me .83 MOA.
Here is my chronograph data. I have been using Center X but this seems to shoot just as well. Is this consistent enough for PRS type shooting? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0523.png
    IMG_0523.png
    426.1 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Dawhit
My Vudoos love it. I just got another case delivered this past week. Been using it for over a year now. No issues using it in PRS/NRL/MARS style matches.

It is a decent ammo for the price. And a good practice ammo. Out of 6 different Lots that I tested in my Vudoo - 1 shot very well, 1 shot just OK, 3 of the Lots would not be useable in a match situation and will be used for practice ammo only and 1 Lot was complete garbage. The testing was done at various ranges out to 330 yards.
I will not use it for match ammo in my Vudoo once these Lots are used up. There are better ammos out there for that.

What sucks about SK is that you can't order it by lot number. What I wind up having to do is calling or emailing my vendor(s) to ask how many different lots they have and place an order for a brick of each lot. I try to test 4 or 5 lots when I need to restock. When I find the ONE, I order up.

I'm shooting a Lilja barreled 457 and it seems the prefer SK ammo. I'm much more likely to find a good lot of SK than I am a good lot of Eley for my rifle.

I had 3 lots of SK Long Range when I got my EC Tuner for my B14R. I tuned with the lot I had 5 bricks. One of the other lots ( 1 brick ) shot just as well as the 5 brick lot. The 3rd lot ( 3 bricks ) did not shoot as well. I did not try not to tune it in the B14R, I shot it in my Tikka. When I shot those lot up, I retuned with a new case lot. It shoots as well or better than the first lots. Try a tuner on those new lots.

Reactions: Rob01
What's the real difference in this and HV match? I mean HV match is atleast still super sonic at 100 yards.... Not that transonic in 22lr does that much, but still

What's the real difference in this and HV match? I mean HV match is atleast still super sonic at 100 yards.... Not that transonic in 22lr does that much, but still
HV Match is 1,263fps, LR Match is 1,103fps...so 160fps would be part of the difference.

Reactions: Rob01
Yup LR Match isn't supersonic. Just gives a little more speed than Rifle Match and I think better accuracy in the lots I have used of both.

Reactions: Cowpokey
HV Match is 1,263fps, LR Match is 1,103fps...so 160fps would be part of the difference.
Right but accuracy wise are they showing up any different?

HV is 25% of the cost of LR match. I'm all for paying for quality, just curious if anyone is actually seeing any difference in how they're shooting

Don't know anyone who shoots HV ammo of any type in .22s for accuracy. Never used that Fed HV.

We only use HV ammo for rimfire challenge style matches, and I'm not paying SK or Eley prices for race gun feed; 40 grain Blazer* all you can eat buffet in that game.

*Some folks prefer Mini Mags...six one way, half a dozen the other.

Back on topic, I've had good results with SK LR Match. Is it $1/box better than SK Rifle Match? Maybe, maybe not...but it has been a little more consistent for me.

We only use HV ammo for rimfire challenge style matches, and I'm not paying SK or Eley prices for race gun feed; 40 grain Blazer* all you can eat buffet in that game.

Back on topic, I've had good results with SK LR Match. Is it $1/box better than SK Rifle Match? Maybe, maybe not...but it has been a little more consistent for me.

I'm guessing no sub one inch targets in that match. Just looked up rimfire challenge, you can use any 22 ammo as accuracy doesn't appear to be that important :). Farthest target is 35 yards with a minimum size of 8 inches. Finally a use for the tub of golden bullets.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cowpokey

I’ve run through a case of SKS+, SKRM, and most of one of SKLRM. Group size was the same. SKLRM is 35-40 fps faster. All three are very slow unless it’s a hot summer day.

Have you tried Eley Contact or Force? I think it is made for rimfire challenge matches. Great ammo for $5.25/ box. $5.00 black Friday with free shipping for a case. Contact work great for long range shooting in my guns.

Have you tried Eley Contact or Force? I think it is made for rimfire challenge matches. Great ammo for $5.25/ box. $5.00 black Friday with free shipping for a case. Contact work great for long range shooting in my guns.
I haven't. Been wanting to try some Contact though, just to see how it does compared to Eley Club and some SK offerings for lower cost SV.

I don't have any reason to try Force, haven't had any issues with Blazer; can't see the point in spending extra money on a solution looking for a problem. :cool:

I’ve run through a case of SKS+, SKRM, and most of one of SKLRM. Group size was the same. SKLRM is 35-40 fps faster. All three are very slow unless it’s a hot summer day.
Maybe at 50 yards but stretch them out and it will be different. Also the SD is higher in the Standard+ and Rifle Match than the Long Range in the thousands of each I have shot. You can see the difference out past 150 yards.

What is "very slow" to you? I have shot the LRM in winter and it was about 1090fps and in the summer it's about 1106fps on average. The other two are down around 1070fps and maybe down around 1050fps in winter. About normal for subsonic ammo.

Maybe at 50 yards but stretch them out and it will be different. Also the SD is higher in the Standard+ and Rifle Match than the Long Range in the thousands of each I have shot. You can see the difference out past 150 yards.

What is "very slow" to you? I have shot the LRM in winter and it was about 1090fps and in the summer it's about 1106fps on average. The other two are down around 1070fps and maybe down around 1050fps in winter. About normal for subsonic ammo.
I did extensive testing at 100 and 200. I’ve got about 1/2 a case left out of the 3 full ones I bought. 300 was problematic due to lots of vertical dispersion and limited paper size.
Chronoed with a Garmin on Friday through a 12T IBI 20” barrel with a Calfee IV chamber. 10 shot strings except 20-30 with the Eley Match. Temp 2C, humidity around 35%. I’m not talking out of my ass.

Attachments

• 241242F7-272A-4BC1-A910-338C81B058D3.jpeg
    241242F7-272A-4BC1-A910-338C81B058D3.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 66
Right but accuracy wise are they showing up any different?

HV is 25% of the cost of LR match. I'm all for paying for quality, just curious if anyone is actually seeing any difference in how they're shooting
SK HV isn't good for precision, SD on it was ~29 fps and ~.750" groups at 35 yards out of my Tikka T1x.

It's fine for something like Steel Challenge but useless for NRL22/PRS22/MARS

Reactions: Emerson0311
I did extensive testing at 100 and 200. I’ve got about 1/2 a case left out of the 3 full ones I bought. 300 was problematic due to lots of vertical dispersion and limited paper size.
Chronoed with a Garmin on Friday through a 12T IBI 20” barrel with a Calfee IV chamber. 10 shot strings except 20-30 with the Eley Match. Temp 2C, humidity around 35%. I’m not talking out of my ass.

Didn't say you were talking out your ass but it does not align with my testing and shooting. I have shot them down in the 30s also. Never been near that slow. Could be the barrel as I have only 16 twist barrels from 18-23".

Didn't say you were talking out your ass but it does not align with my testing and shooting. I have shot them down in the 30s also. Never been near that slow. Could be the barrel as I have only 16 twist barrels from 18-23".
Sorry, I’ve dealt with padom a bit, not fair to paint you with the same brush. I tested in a 16” 10/22 Bentz chamber also, I’ll attach that pic. The slowness was a surprise to me too. Not sure why the Eley seems basically immune to the effects.

Attachments

• 596F035C-5A00-41FD-BD9D-76CC1A2CDE93.jpeg
    596F035C-5A00-41FD-BD9D-76CC1A2CDE93.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Daniel G. Banting
Sorry, I’ve dealt with padom a bit, not fair to paint you with the same brush. I tested in a 16” 10/22 Bentz chamber also, I’ll attach that pic. The slowness was a surprise to me too. Not sure why the Eley seems basically immune to the effects.
That is interesting. Various Lots of SKLRM will run anywhere from 1118 to 1132 in my Vudoo. Eley Match or Tenex typically 1085 to 1095.