• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision SkeetIR-X first use...

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    So I bought one of these units to replace the ReapIR I had....

The skeetIR-X is supremely better than the former IRDefense ReapIR.

Wow.

I was walking around checking things out after initially getting it and the thermal sensitivity is just amazing.

For example, you can actually see the studs in the walls along with the screws used the hold the drywall on the wall, and in some places the electrical lines running through the wall if they’re actively being used.

Obviously, outside it’s fantastic. If there is an anything that’s alive that you will see it.

I realize these things are ridiculously expensive… But I wanted to pass along that they are absolutely better than any handheld thermal sight that I have seen yet.

They’re not on par with aircraft or armored vehicle mounted devices, but they are really good.

Oh yeah, you can see peoples undergarments, and sometimes you can see through their undergarments. I Played around with it and the lunch room at work was definitely entertaining.... sort of reminds me of that old Sony camera that they recalled.

GB

Last edited:
    Not to downplay the awesomeness of the skeet but you couldn't see those things with the reap? I have no problem seeing studs, poorly insulated areas, fresh footprints, etc with my patrol.

BreakerBox.png
    TeslaCharger1.png
    TeslaCharger2.png
    TeslaCharger3.png

I didn't want to post anything that could be useful to our adversaries.

...but if you look you can see the wires inside the conduit... and then the obvious breaker being used in the panel.

Last edited:
    Not to downplay the awesomeness of the skeet but you couldn't see those things with the reap? I have no problem seeing studs, poorly insulated areas, fresh footprints, etc with my patrol.

Could have been that I had an original ReapIR... but no, not as cleanly... I was never able to see the studs and the screws/nails in the drywall.

Now, is it worth two times the cost.... that's another story. It IS quite a bit smaller than the ReapIR

Could have been that I had an original ReapIR... but no, not as cleanly... I was never able to see the studs and the screws/nails in the drywall.

Now, is it worth two times the cost.... that's another story. It IS quite a bit smaller than the ReapIR
    My patrol was an early one as well. Maybe the reap just doesn't focus as close.

That is a primary difference, the SkeetIR can be focused. The ReapIR is a fixed focus...

Though, from across the house I can still see the screws in The drywall... wires in some walls... individual wires in conduit... flees on a mouses ass (kidding)

The thing for me that really sets the Skeetir x apart from the others is the amazing depth of field of the lens. I can focus it at 15 yds and still look down and open a door/step over a rock etc...much like a pvs31 compared to a 14.
    It also is a true 1.0000x unlike the breach or patrol.

My only complaint is that it is just a mediocre weapon sight because of eye relief limitations. .....can't have it all.

I think most specs are the same, but with a 1 power reap-ir w/ fixed focus and a skeet-ir with its adjustable focus... of course the skeet ir will win. Where the reapir and other ird's pull away by far is the magnified models and the price range. The skeet ir is a really shitty weapon sight and a shitty clip on. Great scanner though, but I prefer the coti over i2 nvg's

maybe its me but those pics dont appear overly impressive. take some outside. doesnt look to have anything on any other bae core thermal ive owned, used or seen.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
    I purposely didn’t take pictures outdoors.

And as with all thermal devices they look a lot better when you’re looking through the ocular lens...

I think most specs are the same, but with a 1 power reap-ir w/ fixed focus and a skeet-ir with its adjustable focus... of course the skeet ir will win. Where the reapir and other ird's pull away by far is the magnified models and the price range. The skeet ir is a really shitty weapon sight and a shitty clip on. Great scanner though, but I prefer the coti over i2 nvg's
    The reap is 2 or 2.5x and has fixed focus. The patrol is 1x and has adjustable focus.

From what I've seen (haven't seen a skeetir in person) the the skeet is very similar in ability to the patrol but with built in laser, 1/2 the size and weight and at twice the cost.

Reactions: Frog05
    The reap is 2 or 2.5x and has fixed focus. The patrol is 1x and has adjustable focus.

From what I've seen (haven't seen a skeetir in person) the the skeet is very similar in ability to the patrol but with built in laser, 1/2 the size and weight and at twice the cost.

Size matters

Nice, didn't know that about the patrol. It's probably a better weapon sight too, that skeet-ir mount from wilcox wiggles a little bit because of the flip to side and qd design.

Totally fine... i’ve even used it with my progressive lenses and it’s been fine... As opposed to my normal field glasses