• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Skim Bedding?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
I have a MCS-T4 that I got for my Sako Quad trainer. My rifle wasnt part of Jared's group buy so, its not bedded (so far). As it stands, the inletting is near perfect. There is little (almost none) room for the rifle to move within the existing Manners inletting. I cant help but think that a skim bed job woudld be helpful. A couple of questions:

1) Do I just bed the base or should I come up the sides of the action? (its a pretty damned tight fit on the sides)

2) Ive seen a couple online threads of people bedding their rifles, but wondered how people keep the bedding compound from getting inside the action screw holes. im assuming this process:
a) Mask off your bedding area
b) Put release agent on all action surfaces.
c) Put the Marine Tex on the target area
d) Put the action screws in the holes (how do you keep bedding compound from getting on the threads?)
e) Screw the action down into the screws (steps D&E is how Im assuming you keep compound out of the holes in the stock and out of the action holes)
f) set overnight, remove and trim

Am I missing anything? Any details would help.

Re: Skim Bedding?

I use modeling clay to keep the bedding out of the unwanted areas. i also like to bed the screws in the holes and drill it out afterwards with a .250 drill. I also take it out a little quicker then overnight. Allow atleast 5-6 hours unless you need to use a extra thick bedding. also dont tighten it down right away leave it a half a turn or full turn loose then tighten slowly over a few hours. About 3-4 hours into it lossen them up about a 1/4 turn or less.

Bedding will go where it wants for the most part. If you just want the base bedded, you can trim excess during the curing process and afterward as well.

Bedding can and will flow through action screw holes and into the action. By coating the interior of the action with release agent, headaches can be avoided. Bedding compound on the action screws isn't a problem if both the screws and the holes have release agent on them.

I use devcon so I'm not sure about working times with marine tex. Use the remaining epoxy on your mixing board to judge curing and when to remove the action to trim excess. I remove the action and trim when bedding is hard enough to resist a fingernail indentation. Some leave the action in for the entire curing process, but if it's messed up in any way I think it's best to find out before full cure.

Just remember to use release agent on everything. And by everything I mean even the dog. You'll find epoxy in places you didn't even know existed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bedding can and will flow through action screw holes and into the action. By coating the interior of the action with release agent, headaches can be avoided. Bedding compound on the action screws isn't a problem if both the screws and the holes have release agent on them.
</div></div>

If you put modeling clay in the holes before you screw it together and dont use a excessive amount of bedding it wont go into the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you put modeling clay in the holes before you screw it together and dont use a excessive amount of bedding it wont go into the action. </div></div>

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip.

Been bedding rifles for a while and never thought to dam up the action screw holes prior to placing the action in the stock and running the screws up. I've always just put release agent in the action and then popped out the excess devcon when it got hard. Now I'll have one less step to do on the next one.

I wrap my stock screws with 3 layers of plumbers' Teflon tape, with one layer ending on the threads. This way, you automatically get clearance around the screws, and the single layer keeps epoxy out of the action holes, as the screws ar tightened. And don't tighten more than a tweak past finger tight, so the action isn't bowed or stressed while curing. PS:peel away the teflon after curing(duh).

Plumber's putty will also work very well to fill screw holes.
I used Devcon 10110 and neutral Kiwi boot polish as a release agent with no problem.