• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SKS Wont extract

Big_Rig_416

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
SE North Carolina
I have a yugo sks that is having an extraction problem. I have to put the but of the rifle on the ground and stomp on the bolt handle to get it to extract. It does this with a fired case, and even when i try to cycle rounds through it without firing. It is not a gas valve issue. I dont see any corrosion or rust in the chamber, is it just a burr and need polishing?

sometimes the chambers are coated with cosmoline, when it dries up it is very sticky. Try a bronze brush attached to a drill and soaked in WD40 in the chamber and see if you can un-cosmo the damn thing.
if all else fail buy another SKS, they are cheap enough.
cheers.

+1 on scrubbing the holy hell out of your chamber with a good brush and solvent (and the entire rifle in general). SKSs are dirty buggers and even when you THINK they are "clean enough to go" they probably aren't. ;) Also, the problem is compounded because, as with most people, they only get fed stuff from the very BOTTOM of the bin like Brown Bear, Wolf, etc., etc. Steel cased stuff can cause all sorts of function issues, including older lacquer-coated ammo which can gum up your chamber and cause the sorts of issues you are talking about (although it usually effects both chambering AND extraction...not just extraction).

Break her down, scrub the hell out of her from tip to toe, oil/grease her back up and try it again.

The gun has no problem feeding or chambering. When i got it I completely stripped the whole thing and soaked it in mineral spirits, as well as scrubbed it in the bathtub.

If the entire rifle is clean and properly lubricated, then it could be a host of different issues.

What does your brass (or complete cartridges for that matter) look like when extracted? Any signed of damage or unexpected/unusual wear/tear on them anywhere? Pictures are worth 1,000 words. Did it EVER cycle properly at any time? Do you have any brass-cased ammo you might try running?

Il try cleaning the chamber, and some different ammo, and get back to you guys.

I closely inspected the cases and there were no marks, nicks, or scratches on them.

The cases being clean of dents and marks leads me in the direction of the bolt assembly itself. Cold there be something catching the bolt assembly itself when the ammo is in the chamber? notice any marks/scratches/etc on the internals of the rifle?