• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Skunkworked SPS tactical

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
I am thinking about sending my sps tactical in to Underground Skunkworks to have them do their accurizing job. Wondering if anybody has had them work on their rifle and your thoughts?
http://www.undergroundsw.com/index.php
Looks like they do really nice work. But dont think I have heard much about them on here.

thanks
Dan

Re: Skunkworked SPS tactical

I own a Rem 700 .308 that was a custom, built by Mike. Very nice rifle and a great guy.

Although I have not handled his rifles, I sat down for a few hours with Mike.

He is a man of true character and one of the finest people I have met. If he says his work will turn your gun around, it will.

I looked through their site, from your link, and if their prices are any indication of their work then they must be great.

Dont know them or have I ever heard of them...

If you are planning on the "Skunkworked Remington SPS Tactical" package, I would just keep the the SPS tactical and shoot the fuck out of it the way it is...

I've had 3 SPS Tacticals in .308 and 2 in .223 and all shot better than 1 MOA which is what that package they offer claims to do...

Quote from their site... "So, we've designed an economical and practical alternative that provides less than 1 MOA accuracy out of the factory Remington SPS Tactical."

As I said all 5 shot better than 1 MOA with the shit Hogue stock...

Shoot it till you burn up the barrel, get a good after market barrel and then have it trued when you install the New Barrel...

Just my .02...

Mike's reputation was hard earned from everyone that I have spoken too about his skills and the rifles that he builds. I would not have a problem what so ever having him build a rifle for me. His work is second to know, again from what I have heard from people that have used his services and from other well respected gunsmiths that I have talked to here and around the internet. Go for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Shoot it till you burn up the barrel, get a good after market barrel and then have it trued when you install the New Barrel...

</div></div>

This is my plan as well. While I have no doubt Mike @ Skunkworks does quality work, I'd wait until you're ready for a new barrel, and add that <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> a new recoil lug as part of Mike's accurizing package. Until then, shoot your rifle as is. Taking off the original barrel only to put it back on seems kinda dumb. Reusing the factory recoil lug seems even dumber.

All I've done to mine is replace the stock, and worked on tuning a handload with Varget and 175g SMKs. Below is my last round of testing (seating depth). As you can see, I can get way under 1 MOA already. When my rifle's time comes for a new barrel, I'll be looking hard at a tighter-bore, faster twist, and even shorter barrel length.

<span style="font-style: italic">(5-shots, 100 meters)</span>
Picture035.jpg

Picture007.jpg

yeah you guys are right, probably getting a little ahead of myself. mine does shoot great as is. should wait until the gun needs an overhaul. just getting a little excited I guess.
glock24, have you bedding your rifle?
thanks for all your .02 cents.

Mike recently moved his shop to a few miles north of me. I called and asked if I could get a tour.

I have to say he makes some really nice stuff! Very top drawer. He has a range out back and we got to shoot some toys.

I wouldn't hesitate to let him work on my best rig. Nice guy too.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about sending my sps tactical in to Underground Skunkworks to have them do their accurizing job. Wondering if anybody has had them work on their rifle and your thoughts?
http://www.undergroundsw.com/index.php
Looks like they do really nice work. But dont think I have heard much about them on here.

thanks
Dan </div></div>

Dan,
I appreciate your interest in the SPS package and I appreciate the time you've taken to investigate the merits. The fact of the matter is, there's a percentage of SPS Tacticals that shoot fine right out of the box. On the other hand, there's also a percentage that doesn't and my first question to anyone that I discuss this package with is, "how does it shoot now?" The answer I receive determines whether or not I perform the process or not. There are many that I've turned away because numerous rifles won't benefit from it and the money would be wasted. The ones that I have "Skunkworked" shot in the area of 1.5MOA and greater, and afterwards they shot no larger than .5 MOA. If your rifle falls into the category of shooting fine out of the box, shoot it til its dead and build a custom on it....There's good advice from guys that have posted here on this....

The idea behind re-using the factory components, such as the recoil lug, is that it keeps costs down and allows me to cater to guys that are either just starting out, or to guys that just want a decent truck gun....Many of the ones I've done so far, I've replaced the factory lug at customer request, but after surface grinding and hand lapping the factory lug to be absolutely flat, the way the rifle shoots compared to one that got the thicker lug was the same and ultimately the customer saved a few dollars....

Again, I appreciate your interests and feel free to contact me at any time if you have questions. I typically respond to emails in less than 15 minutes.