• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SL8 to G36 Conversion

CrazyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Virginia Beach
Got a good deal on an SL8 and want to convert it to a G36. Have seen parts on several sites but no instructions. I want to convert the mag well to accept std AR magazines and add the folding stock (thinking K w/cheekrest). Undecided on lower and trigger but leaning to the Sniper Variant if I can get one. Also want to cut down the BBL and rig for an OPs Inc suppressor.

Has anyone been down this road? Don't want to drop my tax free money on expensive parts if the end product won't run. Instructions, if available are welcome.

Re: SL8 to G36 Conversion

How much money do you want to spend?

You are EASILY looking at another 2 grand to do a decent conversion on it.

Check over on HKPro, there are many threads on it.

Best "proper" conversion is done by chopstickkid and TBostic. They take a demilled rear section of an actual G36 receiver, chop your receiver, plastic weld and reinforce the graft.

You could go with the topnotch or whatever Turd Bailey calls his companies conversion, but the length of pull on it is horrendous, and then on top of it you cannot shoot it with the stock folded.

EZ

Thanks EZ. I figured $2K. Will look up chopstickkid and TBostic. If cutting and fitting the upper is required I want it done by somebody in the business. CJ

Yeah, at minimum you have to cut out the depression in the receiver that makes it single stack only. You can do it yourself with a dremel, but then that leaves an ugly window on the side, and it decreases the rigidity of the receiver. Last week i spent a few hours pondering buying another SL8 and doing it, but it would be close to 4 grand all said and done.

When you have time start looking through all the threads on HKPro.

Also hkparts.net has demilled G36 kits for about $1500 or so that include the rear receiver section. You can also buy all the compliance parts and receiver sections from them.

EZ

EZ Copy all. Am in contact with TBostic, (No joy w/Chopstixkid) and project is underway. Appreciate your advice. Will post pics when its done. CJ