• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Slapped together a new match rifle, Tikka T3 in 6mm SLR

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
After shooting my 300WM in the last match I was officially banned from using that gun again since I destroyed 6 targets, oops, so I scrambled to put together another rifle.

Settled on the the 6mm SLR because brass was easier and cheaper to come by and the ballistics really impressed me. We had a like new T3 in 243 come in at work so I snatched it up and sent it off to Jon Beanland for him to do his magic and this was the first T3 he's worked on. He said that there was almost 100% bolt lug contact from the factory and he just had to kiss the front of the receiver. He chambered a Bartlein 1:8 medium palma in 6mm SLR for me and installed the JEC brake. The Manners stock is an EH1 that i got on the group buy which will be replaced later on but I needed a stock. I snagged a TRG trigger and modified it so it wouldn't lock the bolt while on safe. Everything came in lastnight and when I went to put it together I ran into a couple of issues, 1st the barrel channel had to be opened up, then the trigger guard had to be opened up to accommodate the TRG safety, after that I had to make a relief cut on the receiver because the magazine wasn't clearing it and had to cut down the mag latch on the CDI to allow it to latch. I slapped everything together and didn't even torque the action screws

I ran out to the range after work to see whether or not my loads would blow me up. This was the first time i've ever reloaded for rifle and was apprehensive to say the least. The brass wasn't weight sorted and neither were the bullets. Unfortunately the sun was setting and my chrono wasn't working well after the first 3 strings. But with 47.4 grains of H1000 I was getting around 3200FPS with the 24" barrel and zero pressure signs.

1044991_10103483398109144_785970165_n.jpg

1072270_10103483677469304_1929278903_o.jpg

sorry about the shitty pics, i'll get some better pics of the rig when I get a chance.

1st 6mm, first tikka, first time reloading learning lots with this build
Well damn, you sure started off right! ;) That looks great!

You're making me salivate, as I have a Tikka project in the works, as well. Just waiting on a stock, which should be here any day. This is killing me!

Well damn, you sure started off right! ;) That looks great!

You're making me salivate, as I have a Tikka project in the works, as well. Just waiting on a stock, which should be here any day. This is killing me!

I kind of went Tikka wild. My second one is in the mail right now and I'm building up a 3rd, just don't know what caliber

TRG safety? Does it have the whole TRG trigger group?

Yup, the whole trg trigger group.

Which bullet?

That is really hauling the mail if it's a 105...especially for H1000!

105 berger hybrid

Something about my beanland rifles shooting fast, i'm getting 2750 out of my 300wm pushing a 208 AMAX and 71grs of RL22

Just curious, can you modify the stock T3 trigger in the same fashion (so that you can cycle the bolt on safe)? That's something I would love to do, if possible.

Beginners LUCK! LOL...Got to Love Tikkas! Used to be the Best kept Secrete until ppl realized how accurate and high quality they are Factory. Simple, clean, and very effective! Great Build and not too shabby on the shooting/loading either!

Just curious, can you modify the stock T3 trigger in the same fashion (so that you can cycle the bolt on safe)? That's something I would love to do, if possible.

You can, I did it on the trigger that came out of the gun and it worked. Takes about 3 minutes.

Beginners LUCK! LOL...Got to Love Tikkas! Used to be the Best kept Secrete until ppl realized how accurate and high quality they are Factory. Simple, clean, and very effective! Great Build and not too shabby on the shooting/loading either!

I suck at shooting groups and typically only shoot paper to zero so I was really happy with this.

Could I see a pic of that trigger setup? I didn't know that was possible. What did the trigger group cost?

Could I see a pic of that trigger setup? I didn't know that was possible. What did the trigger group cost?

i'll get some pics tomorrow with a real camera and not my phone. I paid 375 for the trigger group

these tikkas intrigue me, nice build

They're a good way to build a good shooter on the cheap. I have over 5 into my surgeon build where I have 1950 into this one and could have spent less if I didn't didn't splurge on the trigger. I plan on moving this barreled action into another stock and building a hunting rig to go into this one.

Yup. Did it on mine. Pretty easy, just remove the cylinder that locks the bolt. Only hard part is getting the sear spring (IIRC) back in. I also installed an overtravel stop, and now the trigger feels quite nice.

Evilsvt,

That's the exact same load that i settled with on my 6slr, 47.4grn h1000 is a sweet spot on the bartlein at 24".

xdeano

Evilsvt,

That's the exact same load that i settled with on my 6slr, 47.4grn h1000 is a sweet spot on the bartlein at 24".

xdeano

i actually started from your load and worked backwards for pressure testing. I should have just stuck with yours. I need to play with seating depth a bit, i'm at .005 jump right now and i'm going to work some up at .010 and .015

i actually started from your load and worked backwards for pressure testing. I should have just stuck with yours. I need to play with seating depth a bit, i'm at .005 jump right now and i'm going to work some up at .010 and .015

Sounds like I'll be giving ~47.5 H1000 a try also when my 2013 gets back from Mark.

What reamer was used? Specifically I'd like to know free bore. I'm actually having mine throated to put the hybrids on the lands at 2.890", which will provide even more capacity.

Here I thought 3100 was going to be difficult to hit with H1000!

Evilsvt, Glad it's working out for you. It's a fun little round. People think i'm nuts when i tell them what kind of velocities i'm getting out of the little case.

Turbo, rem brass will give you a hair more velocity then the win brass just due to thickness. You're going to like the little guy on the 2013 action. I finally got my mag 2013 action on monday, it's beefy to say the least. I'm using the slr/s reamer in mine. My plan was to shoot the 105's exclusively, they shoot very well.

xdeano

Just got done testing my new 6 SLR.

speed measured with magnetospeed.

All loads with 105 hybrid, kissing lands at 2.900" COAL

26" barrel

46.5gr H1000: 2880fps

47.0gr H1000: 2910fps

47.5gr H1000: 2940fps

48.0gr H1000: 2970fps

48.5gr H1000: 2995fps

No pressure, but case capacity limited.

All loads shoot 3/8 moa or better, but I'm disappointed at the velocity. Not sure if I'll stick with ~2950-3000fps with H1000 or try H4831sc.

Any of you guys tried RL-22? I've been using it in 2 6SLR's and its been amazing.

43.5gr and a 105vld gets me 3060~ in a 26" Brux 8 twist and the same load does 3180~ in a 28" Broughton 8 twist with ZERO pressure

I can get more speed out of both but accuracy is excellent with 43.5gr seated to kiss the lands.

here is the latest

6mmSLR
Stiller tac-30 A/W
26" brux 1-8"
Manners T3 W/Mini chassis
Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMOA

Steve

Any of you guys tried RL-22? I've been using it in 2 6SLR's and its been amazing.
I've done quite a bit of workup with it in 6.5x55. Many of the die-hard Swede fans will tell you that it's THE powder of choice in that caliber. My results with it have been really good, but not great. The accuracy is usually there (but not necessarily the "most" accurate), however the velocity is lacking when compared to Rel 17 and H4831 (regular or SC). But, as I always say, "If it's working for you, then run with it!". You can't argue with real world results.