• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Slash buffer or Vltor A5 tube

Howie Feltersnatch

Deep in my Plums.
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2007
Largo, FL.
Fellas I'm basically changing a precision .308 AR down to a carbine, and am torn between how I should go with the buffer system. Some people say slash, and some say Vltor A5 tube. I am having a hard time wanting to drop $130+ for Slash's buffer and spring when a standard buffer and spring costs all of $30. I already have a good understanding the slash's work, however for those that have gone the Vltor A5 route has it been reliable or not? Standard carbine buffer and spring? This rifle won't go to battle, so 100% reliability isn't a must. However I would want whatever I purchase to function.

Re: Slash buffer or Vltor A5 tube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikTaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for those that have gone the Vltor A5 route has it been reliable or not? Standard carbine buffer and spring? </div></div>

I have the Vltor A5, but haven't fired a shot with it yet. Mine came with its own buffer and spring, supposedly for use only in the A5.

Thanks for the input guys. This rifle isn't going into battle (have others) so 100% reliability isn't a must. I just know I can get a new tube/spring for less than half of what Slash wants for his buffer and spring, and I have a million regular buffers laying around. However if the tube and standard buffer does not work at all then I'll fork over the cash. Just wondering what the ratio of cost savings over performance is between the two.

I cant give any input with the a-5 tube,
but I have had slash's buffer since 2008 and its allowed me to go through all sorts of collapsible stock configs.
First i used a standard m4 stock, then switched to an LMT stock, and I finally landed on a UBR stock to help offset the weight. I also changed barrels throughout from an ar10t 24 inch, cut to 20 inch, and then finally a rainier 18inch.
Slashs buffer caused ZERO cycling problems with all those above configurations, so take it for what its worth. If you plan on keeping an ar-308 platform for a while, i suggest using slashs buffer, that way you can always change stocks in the future instead of having to rely on something that can only fit the A-5 tube.

I'm pretty sure you're correct,the A5 is milspec. My point was that the slash buffer will work with any tube you decide to go with on an ar10 platform.
I went from a milspec m4 to LMT sopmod (both with standard carbine tube) and then went to a UBR. So no matter what platform u decide to use stock/tube wise, the slash buffer will make it roll.

Gluck
laugh.gif

First off...
The "ability" to change stocks from LMT - UBR - whatever else has crap to do with the slash buffer. Whatever piece of rubber and plastic you slide over the outside of the receiver extension has nothing to do with function of the weapon. Either the A5 or the slash route will allow the same stocks to be used.
(I will point out that the A5 will allow a stock to fully collapse, where an actual Armalite tube will not quite get there.)

Having cleared that up... I'll vote for the A5. The slash buffer allows you to use an AR15 buffer tube / 308 spring, which is good. I've also heard good things about those who have used the slash buffer. However, this locks you into a single configuration (AR15 tube, 308 spring, slash buffer). On the other hand, using the A5 tube with an AR10 spring lets you try ANY AR15 buffer. You are locked into the A5 tube and AR10 spring, but you can easily buy 3 different weight buffers for the price of the slash and see what cycles / feels best, or even just have a spare for some reason that didnt cost as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgweed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off...
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The "ability" to change stocks from LMT - UBR - whatever else has <span style="text-decoration: underline">crap</span> to do with the slash buffer.</span></span> Whatever piece of rubber and plastic you slide over the outside of the receiver extension has nothing to do with function of the weapon. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Either the A5 or the slash route will allow the same stocks to be used. </span></span>
(I will point out that the A5 will allow a stock to fully collapse, where an actual Armalite tube will not quite get there.) </div></div>

Just need to clear up any confusion in your post...

First off...The RE-A5 receiver extension tube is designed to work with the Vltor A5 Rifle Recoil System. The A5 tube is slightly longer than a traditional AR-15 receiver extension tube and was designed to work ONLY with a MilSpec diameter (outside diam), LENGTHENED collapsable stock, such as the Vltor Enhanced Modstock. With that said...you CAN use the A5 receiver extension along with the Armalite AR-10 spring and buffer (which is actually an AR-15 H3 buffer that is 3.25" long) on an AR-10 and it should function thanks to its extended length (intern./extern.) compared to the AR-15 carbine tube.

Second...you asbolutely can NOT use, as you suggested, a UBR stock on ANY .308 semi-auto AR platform rifle with the Armalite/AR-10 spring/AR-15 H3 buffer setup (or any other AR-15 buffer for that matter). The UBR uses an "entry" length receiver extension which is internally like an AR-15 Carbine receiver extension, but fixed like the A2 rifle extension. Because of these internal limitations, you can't use the longer, AR-15 buffer in conjunction with the AR-10 buffer spring, in the UBR. Doing so will not allow the BCG to retract into the buffer tube far enough and will cause the rifle not to function properly. Thus...here is why the Slash buffer is the better alternative with any AR-10/LR-308 type rifle. With the shorter, heavier Slash buffer (or other .308 shortened buffer...there are other alternatives out there, just not as good as Clint's IMO), you eliminate that problem across the board of compatibility with AR-15 carbine/entry stocks.

SO...with the Slash buffer, in conjunction with a mil-spec AR-15 Carbine Receiver Extension (any brand VLTOR or otherwise) or Entry receiver extension, you can run ANY AND EVERY AR-15 collapsible stock on the market today without issue, including the UBR which gives you true 100% compatibility (because who knows what the future will hold and why have to buy different equipment down the line if your stock desires change).

@ORD,
I was blindly repeating the items mentioned in the previous response, not thinking about the UBR-specific tube issues.

For other stocks which are the more "standard" or "common" type of stock (ACS, CTR, IMod, EMod, etc) which just slide back and forth over a bare receiver extension, the A5 tube works just fine. It was indeed designed for the vltor A5 system, but it can be used on a 308 AR with the appropriate AR10 spring. When used this way, it allows a choice of AR15 buffers in lieu of the slash at a fraction of the price. If a particular stock is slightly shorter internally than the A5, the only thing this changes is that you may not get as close to the receiver when fully collapsed. ACS / Emod are fine in this area, but if not getting butted up against it when fully collapsed is an issue, then you are way more picky than me (for the record, ive had this happen with AR15 buffer tubes too... but who shoots their 308 AR with the stock way up there? it's a non-issue to me). Also, although the A5 tube can be used in lieu of the AR10 tube, the A5 is NOT the same as the stock AR10 tube (vltor makes this too; they call it the A5-short-rail).

Like ORD explained, if the UBR may be your game, then the A5 may not. Thanks ORD for the correction on this. If you have no intention of ever using a UBR (like me), then the A5 offered more configuration options without the inflated price of the slash.

ORD considers the slash route better for the UBR-related reason explained above, while I prefer to be able to use ANY AR15 buffer (for price and weight options, as i mentioned) at the cost of being able to use the UBR.