• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SLC smog, what to expect?

MikeInUtah

Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
West Valley, UT
Just moved to SLC from Chicago. I keep hearing so many news reports about smog and how its the worst in the country. Seems that KSL morning news are talking about it every 5 mins. I have read the details about the pollution potentially taking years of our lives and I really cant tell much besides the haze. Since I am new here, should I be hacking up a lung? Is this typical for winters here?

I was there a few days ago, walking around Downtown SLC at about 1AM. Very beautiful/eerie scene with the snow, lights, and fog.

I loled when I heard the reporter chick talking about "bad air" and saw the signs on 15 advising people to carpool to help with the "bad air".

Relative to the air in Houston, SLC is perfect. Maybe a bit high on the O3, but extremely breathable.

I think some of that has to do with the geography in that there isnt necessarily an "easy" way for the smog/polution to blow out of there. The city sits in a valley and with a prevailing wind that blows from the West/southwest, it just cant really blow out of the valley due to the mountains on the east and north east sides of the city.

Ive been in and out of there multiple times and never thought the pollution was that bad compared to other places I have been where visibility due to the haze drops to 4-5 miles.

I lived there for 14 years. What you are hearing about is called Inversion.
Air movement gets stalled against the mountains and smoke, exhaust, etc. gets trapped underneath it.
Only happens during the winter and only lasts a few days. News reports go out to make sure people with asthma are aware, but it never bothered anyone I knew.
Not an issue.

Choose Clean Air! - About Inversions

Thanks folks. Glad to hear I shouldn't be running out for a gas mask. Been loving it here so far. Don't know anyone out here so I just downloaded a map from the BLM website I am looking to take a trip out west to check out where I can shoot. Looks like areas west of 196 on I80 is GTG.

There is a match going on in Price tomorrow if you are interested. Look up Utah Shootouts or Northsprings shooting range to find out more.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Don't worry too much about the inversion when it sets in. Just get out of the valley usually about 6500 to 7000 asl and the air clears up and the temps will be a lot warmer. It's a good reason to head out and shoot. Going out I-80 to Skull Valley is good but there are other areas if you head southbound. I have a spots within an hour of home in Sandy that I have shot out to a mile. I was out there on New Year's Day and it was out of the haze and about 40 degrees. Besides, if you head south you can shoot then hit Cabelas for a smoked elk sandwich on the way back. Ya can't get that in Magna.