• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sleep Apnea

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
Any of yall have sleep apnea? I just had a sleep study done the other day and they said I quit breathing an average of 47 times an hour, which would explain why I'm tired all the time. Just curious if anyone here has experience with it and how much does the cpap help?

Re: Sleep Apnea

I have heard nothing but good things about CPAP. From what I have been told you will wish you had had it sooner.

My grandmom has a CPAP and uses it every night. I guess it's more or less necessary for her. The biggest complaint about CPAPs, apparently, is just the fact that they are awkward or uncomfortable to use for some (at first). If you don't sleep alone the noise might be the worst part about it. Personally, I like a humming sound to sleep to. But 47 times a night? Sounds like a CPAP may be more than worth a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My grandmom has a CPAP and uses it every night. I guess it's more or less necessary for her. The biggest complaint about CPAPs, apparently, is just the fact that they are awkward or uncomfortable to use for some (at first). If you don't sleep alone the noise might be the worst part about it. Personally, I like a humming sound to sleep to. But 47 times a night? Sounds like a CPAP may be more than worth a shot.</div></div>

That's 47 times per hour. I don't know if this was representative of how I sleep at home since it really was one of the worst nights sleep I had in a long time. It's tough to sleep in a strange bed with 14 sensors taped to your head and face, one on your neck, EKG leads stuck to your chest, sensors on your legs and a breathing sensor in your nose.

I have had one for about a year now. They really help. I had 38 an hour. But 4 were between 48-57 sec. each. They are hard to get used to at first. Go a full face mask. If you have a beard the mask does not seal very well. I have to use eye drops to keep my eyes lubed. It really dries them out.

MAKE SURE you get the humidifier with the machine. It will help with the air drying your lungs out.

Also, if you have a dog don't let him close to the machine. If your dog would be anything like my lab is, he about killed me when he farted next to the machine.

Did they put the motion detector on your junk? the girl said it was manditory for me. But I think she just wanted to see my barrel.
shocked.gif
grin.gif

I was waking 42 times per hour on average and my blood oxygen level dropped into the 80's. I did not like wearing the CPAP at first but I could not argue with the results. It took me about 3 months to get used to wearing the mask and understanding the best positions for the machine, hose, and sleeping on my back and side. I removed the humidifier because I was experiencing a lot of condensation in the hose. I had no ill effects from removing it but I understand some folks do.

The difference in the quality of my life is amazing. After using it for about 6 months I went on a business trip and forgot to take the machine. I got up feeling like I had been run over by a truck - have not forgotten it since. I even have a battery unit for the machine so my daughter and I can still go camping.

I had it, I tried the CPAP and I actually compensated for it and they had to adjust the pressure 4 different times on the CPAP. I ended up getting my tonsils removed and that fixed it.

Sleep Apnea can be a serious problem. It depends on how many episodes you have per given time, as well as how low your pulse oximetry values go during the episodes. Some peoples SpO2 levels fall into the 50% range during episodes, and that can translate into very low arterial oxygenation levels. Sleep apnea can lead to a slew of other problems as well. BUT...treatment is very good these days for it. CPAP and also BiPAP work wonders, as well as weight loss. Sleeping propped up pillows helps. There are also some surgical procedures that can be done, but these are usually saved as a last resort.

I'll be getting a test kit from the VA. Seems my Doc wants me to take the test. I figured the frontal bone reconstruction I went through in '05 would have taken care of any sleep issues but according to Panty 6 they haven't. Way I see it though, if I go on to the next place during my sleep that;s they way it was mean to be, DNR baby, don't waste your's or my time

I had 3 different sleep studies done. I felt like crap all the time. I tried a CPAP machine. I don't know which was worse. I finally went to a pulmonologist. He said I had asthma. The problems I was having sleeping was because I was having asthma attacks in the middle of the night. Now I use an inhaler 2 X in the morning and 2 X at night. Sleep apnea evidently taken care of.

Something the doctor may not tell you. Any time you use an aerosol inhaler be sure to rinse your mouth really good. Something in the propellant gas causes mouth and gum problems after time.

Good luck.

I am a nurse and work with a heart surgeon and you have to take sleep apnea seriously. I have afib probably caused by years of undiagnosed sleep apnea.. my heart surgeon says that their finding that sleep apnea probably causes a lot of heart problems that they didn't know about. I am treated now with Bipap and am doing well but the damage is done to some extent. So get it treated.

OSA causes Pulmonary hypertension. CPAP and BIPAP machines can and do work wonders, if that is your problem. The surgery works about 70% of the time give or take depending on who's numbers you believe. OSA can cause obesity. When people get their machine they start to loose wight. They don't really know why. Asthma meds and having to wash the mouth out is due to the steroid. Steroids decrease your immunity and you will get bad fungal and bacterial infections. I worked with Plumonologist and have had the study done as well. Where I currently live they check your machine once a year to see if you are using it for you drivers lic. I'm positive they are heading that way in the states as well, be advised.

They are many different types of masks for the machines so if one doesn't work for you try another. Please remember you need a new mask every year.

I used to ride a ferry (boat) to work and friends would always say I stopped breathing when I slept.

Broke my nose eons ago and I think it's catching up with me, I may havce to go in and see about this (when I get some medical insurance again).

Having athletic asthma is bad enough but sleep apnea...wake up fearing I'm not breathing sometimes...

Scott, Rhinoplasty sucks but is great. A broken nose usually also means that the turbanit sinus has been broken and sealed as well. I can tell you this. The surgery is a motherfucker, your face will hurt for weeks afterwords, and your nose will feel slight pain for 2 plus years before it stops. You WILL on the other hand breathe so much better!
My only hope is that I never get into a fight now because I dread wrecking all that nice work.
Not in the face man, not in the face! ROFLMMFAO!

Switch,

You think having my ugly nose broken about 5 times MAY be at least PART of my problems? Hahaha

Wow, lots of good information. When I first typed it out I started to erase the whole thing before hitting the submit button, asked myself WTF I'm doing asking about sleep apnea on a shooting forum for! Glad I didn't delete it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a nurse and work with a heart surgeon and you have to take sleep apnea seriously. I have afib probably caused by years of undiagnosed sleep apnea.. my heart surgeon says that their finding that sleep apnea probably causes a lot of heart problems that they didn't know about. I am treated now with Bipap and am doing well but the damage is done to some extent. So get it treated.</div></div>

I am definitely taking it seriously as just the number of times I quit breathing per hour strikes me as kinda high. If they'd have told me I quit breathing 5 times an hour that seems high to me. My dad was diagnosed with sleep apnea 10 or 15 years ago but won't use the cpap machine, he also has afib and now that you mention it I wonder if sleep apnea could be a cause?

I'm kinda looking forward to the cpap machine in that I hope it is the cure to getting a good night sleep. Waking up in the morning just as tired as when I went to bed is old, so is taking naps in the middle of the day like an old man. I want to jump out of bed ready to whoop the days ass, not slide out of bed tired and cranky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch,

You think having my ugly nose broken about 5 times MAY be at least PART of my problems? Hahaha </div></div>

A diviated septum is one of the largest causes of snoring and other sleep issues. The side sinuses(Turbonate) next to your nose are also integral to breathing correctly through the nose. When the septum is broken, the turbonate sinuses are usually broken at the same time. Sometimes they heal open, others not. It is something a good ENT can look at and determine with a few X-Rays.
My nose and the front part of my face was a two fold effort at breaking. The intial impact was a very large gang fight in Oahu between we punks and a small crew of 'New York City Breakers' who said,"You don't fuck with NYC Breakers!" shortly before taking a serious ass whoopin. I was running toward a friend who had a couple gus on him and when I hit one, a guy came running up behind my friend and cranked my nose sideways. That pissed me off so I beat all three of them as fast as I could with a scurry of kicks, punches and basic ass whoopin skills.
The second impact came in '85 - '86 while I played Inside Safety for the Okinawa USMC Football team. I was making a really fast blitz into the side and the running back was coming around with the ball. He got low, I got lower, he got lower, I got even lower adn we hit. The video showed us hitting like rams, a really loud WHACK! and then both of us flipped backwards and he knocked out, I hit the deck, laid there for a moment and slowly got up, bell ringing something fierce with a broken facemask shoved into my mouth and face. Being a hardass on both counts I ignored anything and just drove on. some 20+ years later a really observant Doc said no wonder I was having sleep issues and the Army sent me to a really nice civilian who did some really nice work.
Life has meant better sleep quality to be sure and the ability to breathe better has been very nice, but as I said, I dread a fight(Ain't Skeered!) but just don't want the face to get hit because all that nice work will be ruined and I'll have to go through it all again.
The SA testing from the VA is going to be done with a in home kit that does it's thing and gets sent back in. If I have issues, so be it, that just means another few bucks of taxpayer dollars. If not, money spent and a toast to not being screwed up in that area.
PAnty 6 doesn't take anything like snoring or other sleep issues lightly because I disturb her(do that anyway!
wink.gif
)

I was diagnosed with SA myself. Had tonsils removed and soft palate trim and uvula removed. Had large tonsils for a 35 yr old. The back of my throat would close up when I was asleep. Also have a large tongue that falls to the back of my throat and obstructs breathing. Dr. said that a tongue trim might help but a rough recovery, I said the hell with that cause the other recovery was a bitch. I lost 10 lbs. in about a week, couldn't eat shit, just water, pudding and apple sauce. It all helped for awhile, hardly snored any, but it all came back. I have a CPAP machine but have a hard time getting used to it. Going to try and start using it again, tired of being tired all the time. I'm not over-weight, 5'8" 180, but could lose some weight and be in a little better shape. Sucks to be young and feel so damned old. Have other health issues as well that contribute to being tired, like low T, joint problems and others, but I think the lack of sleep is the major contributor to the way I feel.

Bryan 27 how they think it causes afib is that sleep apnea stretches the tissue around the pulmonary artery and this is where some of your heart receptors that relay the pathway down to the ventricles are located. It probably also has cause me to have an enlarged left atria also. Obesity also plays a big role and wt loss definitely helps (lost 45 pounds) hope to knock off another 10 this month.

Switch - they used silver nitrate or something like that when I was younger to stop the nosebleeds, after catching a 90mph baseball (Thrown by a girl) my nose would bleed a LOT so they sealed it.

Switch,

Just as a side note about the snoring. My wife says that after seeing the asthma doctor and using the inhalers I have 90+% stopped snoring.

Go figger...

edited to add... As long as I don't lay flat on my back.

I have had a bunch of sleep studies. Some say I have apnea, others say I don't. There are two kinds of apnea. Central apnea is where the brain doesn't signal to your body to breathe. Obstructive apnea is where you have something like sinus problems, excess weight or something blocking your breathing apparatus.

The CPAP machine will of course help out with the obstructive, but I have yet to get a satisfactory answer of how a little air pressure will give your body the signal to inhale when the brain doesn't send one.

The other issue I have not received a satisfactory answer to is what are the long term effects of pressure on the airway and lungs?

My wife says I don't have apnea..she can hear me breathing all night long. Says i don't stop, and I don't wake up gasping for air or have any other signals of apnea.

When I get two different reports of have/don't have apnea from the same lab, I question the validity of their testing. Especially when they have a vested financial interest in selling CPAP machines.

But of course, if the CPAP machine works for you, it is a good deal.

I have had sleep apnea for years.
I use a CPAP every night, even when camping.
I had a sleep study recently, and they increased the pressure 50%. Now I have to use a full face mask, or my mouth comes open and I lose a lot of pressure.
The sleep study showed I was having more than 100 episodes per hour, without CPAP. Snored like crazy. The wife mate would go to another room.
With the CPAP I sleep soundly, dream, and wake up with a hard on.......

I had a sleep study done last year and the CPAP was uncomfortable. I opted for the nose surgery, turbinates etc etc, also had a tonsilectomy at the same time. The nose surgery wasn't painful at all. Now the throat surgery was a bitch. Each time you swallow hurts like hell. I don't snore anymore and the wife is happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a sleep study done last year and the CPAP was uncomfortable. I opted for the nose surgery, turbinates etc etc, also had a tonsilectomy at the same time. The nose surgery wasn't painful at all. Now the throat surgery was a bitch. Each time you swallow hurts like hell. I don't snore anymore and the wife is happy.</div></div>

I had the exact same thing done about 7 years ago and I thought the nose work was 10 times worse than the throat. I will admit that it was a bitch about swallowing but it was way worse when they took the packing out of the nose. I never has any sinus issues until I had that surgery, now I get a sinus infection every once and a while.

I had extended periods of O2 sat at 71% on my sleep study
I am still having trouble adjusting to the CPAP 4 months later
Part of the problem is they just give me a mask and say here, this is your size. I can never seem to get them to fit without leaking

Eight years ago I gained an extra thirty pounds, snored like crazy and was lathargic during the day. I learned of the CPAP machine through a coworker. Turns out my sister-inlaw had one and I borrowed it for a week and the results were immediately recognized.

I then underwent a sleep study that confirmed my suspicion of SA. I then was prescribed a CPAP machine which resulted in better sleep, imporoved energy and the excess weigh melted off. I then worked on the extra pounds and my snoring ceased.

I took to the CPAP like a duck to water, but had some strange dreams at first.

I had the surgery including cutting up my tongue.. it was horrible. It seemed to help at first but I am having the same issues as I was before. I am going to have to get another sleep test I think... it sucks because its an automatic Med Board... doesn't mean I get the boot but...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had 3 different sleep studies done. I felt like crap all the time. I tried a CPAP machine. I don't know which was worse. I finally went to a pulmonologist. He said I had asthma. The problems I was having sleeping was because I was having asthma attacks in the middle of the night. Now I use an inhaler 2 X in the morning and 2 X at night. Sleep apnea evidently taken care of.

Something the doctor may not tell you. Any time you use an aerosol inhaler be sure to rinse your mouth really good. Something in the propellant gas causes mouth and gum problems after time.

Good luck. </div></div>

I'm 27, 5'5", and 147 pounds, and I have sleep apnea.

The CPAP did nothing for me. I still feel tired. I didn't find it bothersome, but I was still tired after months of usage, so I gave up on the CPAP.

Good luck. Whoever says they haven't heard any bad things about the CPAP needs to read more. People hate them. I didn't hate mine unless there was a woman at my house, and then I can say that it's awkward.

Well I personally don't have it, but my wife does. She sounded like you always tired could fall asleep almost anytime of the day, not to mention it was heck trying to get her to wake up and get going in the morning. She had the sleep study done and started wearing the cpap and it made a world of difference for her. You could tell she had a lot more energy throughout the day. Of course getting use to the mask was what was a pain, it started making her face hurt so she stopped wearing it and never got started back. She really needs to though because I can literally hear her stop breathing at night. Kinda of funny but its not. Anyway seems like if you get use to it the cpap helps, but I know several people that just can't sleep wearing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shulette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was waking 42 times per hour on average and my blood oxygen level dropped into the 80's. I did not like wearing the CPAP at first but I could not argue with the results. It took me about 3 months to get used to wearing the mask and understanding the best positions for the machine, hose, and sleeping on my back and side. I removed the humidifier because I was experiencing a lot of condensation in the hose. I had no ill effects from removing it but I understand some folks do.

The difference in the quality of my life is amazing. After using it for about 6 months I went on a business trip and forgot to take the machine. I got up feeling like I had been run over by a truck - have not forgotten it since. I even have a battery unit for the machine so my daughter and I can still go camping. </div></div>

Pretty close to my experience as well. Quality of life difference was huge for me. Some CPAPs make very little noise. Some folks take a bit to get used to sleeping with the mask on - fortunately I adapted pretty quickly. I used to use a portable jumpstart pack as a power source for camping. The humidifier will come in handy; poke someplace like cpapman for a hose cozy to keep condensation in the hose down if you are going to be someplace with a chill in the air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uafgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had extended periods of O2 sat at 71% on my sleep study
I am still having trouble adjusting to the CPAP 4 months later
Part of the problem is they just give me a mask and say here, this is your size. I can never seem to get them to fit without leaking </div></div>

I use a size smaller than what I was "fit" for, and the leaks went away as long as I have the straps correctly tensioned (not too tight, not too loose). Drop the $20 for an extra mask in another size, see if it helps.

I had the sinus surgery, and would equate it to a good hard punch in the face. Sure it hurts, but I've had much worse. The uvulectomy (?) were they removed the punching bag in back of my throat was a doozy of a sort throat, but only hurt for a few days. Now, if/when I snore, my wife says it sounds more like a big cat purring than any brackish snoring. She says that sometimes when I start purring and she is awake, it sort of pisses her off because I sound so peaceful. She doesn't wake me up, or try to get me to change positions because she says it isn't obnoxious, or bothersome. Sort of like listening to your cat purr while you are trying to watch TV...just more background noise. No apnea though.

Hey all, I don't post here often unless I have something of value to add to the forums. This is a subject that I spend a lot of time dealing with as a General Dentist and have developed a passion for treating my patienst with OSA. Obstructive sleep Apnea (OSA) comes in three varieties. Mild, Moderate, Severe. Much of what was posted here previously is right on. CPAP can be effective, surgery can be effective, and occlusal appliance therapy can be effective. Each case is different and requires and individual or combined approach of all three modalities. I work closely with Sleep medicine doctors, ENT, and Oral maxiofacial surgerons to properly manage OSA.

Sleep apenea does not occur because you are fat or snore. 60% of patients are obese, 40% are considered a healthy weight. Not all snorers have sleep apnea and not all sleep apnics snore. The effects of OSA are devastating. There is a definetive medical link between heart disease, arrythmia as stated earlier, Gastric Esophogeal Reflux disease (GERD)and OSA. There is a suspected link between diabetes and OSA. Many young children suspected of ADD are likely having Sleep apnea. Erectile dysfunction (ED)can also be a symptom and stating that to my patients always gets their attention.

If you feel you may have sleep apnea or your spouse is telling you that you have it and you want to get tested ensure you go to a sleep "center" and not a sleep lab. Centers should be endorsed by the Academy of Sleep Medicine and will have a sleep medicine doctor on hand. A lab will have a technichian and usually hand you a CPAP and send you on your way. A center will fit you properly and due periodic follow ups. In addition a center will work with surgeons and dentists to provide the best overall approach to treating the disease.

My little part of being a cog in the big machine is fabricating the occlusal appliances. These are not "snore guards". The use of comanaged therapy of CPAP and appliances is great for mild to moderat OSA. I can generaly get the pressure lowered by 4-6cm which is a lot if someone has to be at 10 cm of pressure. Patients are not compliant in using their CPAP if the pressure is too high. The ultimate goal of an appliance is to mimic a "head tilt, chin thrust" used in CPR without placing undue strain on the Temporal Mandibular Joint (TMJ) causing further occlusal problems and making an appliance comfortable enough to wear.

Unfortunately in my opinion my profession (Dentists) have let patients down. Very little research has be conducted by the Academy of General Dentistry or the American dental Assoaciation and very few dentists are trained in managing OSA, whereas the Academy of sleep medicine and the American Medical Association has been conducting research since the early 90's. If you can find a dentist that understands the disease and can help manage OSA in conjunction with your Sleep medicine doctor you will find you overal treatment will be better.

Bottom line is if you suspect sleep apnea get tested. If you have it and you feel your treatment is insufficient don't take no for an answer and keep on your doc. Find a new one if you have to. Waking up feeling like you had a good nights sleep is critical to having a good quality of life and helping avoide all the shitty maladies of "getting old"

Sorry for the rant. I'm off my soap box now. If you have any ?s feel free to PM or email me. I don't check in every day, but I will get back to you.

I wouldn't recommend it. Thats 120 bucks that you would be pissing away. I see the money back guarantee, but read the guarantee carefully. there is usually a clause that makes the return of a medical device almost impossible. The basic design of looking at that system will result in extreme pain in the temporalis, masseter, ptyergoid, and sternoclydomastoid muscules. They quote to basic therory of occlusal appliance theory on their webpage.

Quote: "How it works - Snoring research has shown that a jaw supporter, keeping the lower jaw in an upward/forward position increases the three dimensional space in the airway, reduces air velocity and soft tissue vibration. This action eliminates or substantially reduces snoring."

Unfortunatly this device will not keep the condylar heads of the mandible (lower jaw) in and upward/forward position. It pulls back and up on the jaw resulting in a upward/backward position. This can increase snoring by collapsing the oropharyngeal space and can definetely aggrevate any existing TMJ disorders.

I was unable to find any systematic reviews of this product after a quick search or find any endorsment by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. This product will not address sleep apnea and can cause a lot of issues. It may help with light to moderate snoring becuase if forces the person to keep their mouth shut while they sleep, but if they have any nasal issues/blockages it could cause sleep apnea.

If you want to try it for snoring only you could tie a tube sock around your head or any other elastic band that forces your jaw closed and keeps your mouth shut while you sleep. The gator neck/foreskin neck warmers we were issued in the Army would work well for that purpose. I think that you would have quite a bit of discomfort after waking in the morning and find that your sleep was not any better.

The occlusal devices fabricated by a Dentist will custom fit in the mouth and attach to the teeth to lift the jaw in an upward/forward position. Unfortunately to have it done right it will cost $500 to $2000 for an appliance. Dental insurance doesn't cover it, but if the billing is done correctely medical insurance will.