• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Sleeping topside after dark.

CBDR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
STC_0116.jpg
This guy has been coming in closer & closer. Last weekend while sleeping on top of my jeep he came within 10m. A experience I will never forget. I had no idea they could move so silently. To be honest, not sure I could pull the trigger. Yogi just looking for that picnic basket.

If you don't know if you could pull the trigger then you better read up about how fast they are.
While you're at it watch some old scary movies about wild animals and tents.

Bet you'll sleep with your firearm

If you don't know if you could pull the trigger then you better read up about how fast they are.
While you're at it watch some old scary movies about wild animals and tents.

Bet you'll sleep with your firearm
Yes he did make my hair stand on end with an increased cold perpetration level. The unsettling part was hearing his low guttural breathing. Made me reflect, be careful what you ask for. Still makes me reflect on that moment. Pushing the envelope between excitement & the unknown.

Reactions: Jgunner
You need to understand something, you are in pretty deep if he's huffing on your door.
You seriously need a large caliber handgun and take turns on watch.

Reactions: E-Tool
if ya gotta run ... run down hill from him/her. Why shoot it unless you like bear venison? just like us, lookin to eat to survive. Now if we could just lure some politicians to your spot ....... and if you put yourself in situations like that for the thrill .... hookers are a better bet

View attachment 7482685This guy has been coming in closer & closer. Last weekend while sleeping on top of my jeep he came within 10m. A experience I will never forget. I had no idea they could move so silently. To be honest, not sure I could pull the trigger. Yogi just looking for that picnic basket.

Sleeping in a RTT?

all you have to be is slightly faster than the friend with the broken leg .

Reactions: CraigG1
I don't want to laugh at all you low country folks, but black bears usually aren't going to give you too hard a time. You can scream at them and they will run like bitches. If they don't, shoot them because they are a bear that has become way too comfortable with humans. Otherwise, they are cool animals. I won't shoot them unless they become a "problem bear" too used to people, addicted to garbage, or worse, septic.

Just to follow up on this, from a recent similar experience...

My wife and I were out elk hunting, perched above a nice little natural spring, near dark, waiting for something to show. Over a little hillock, I kept hearing a squirrel screaming at something. Usually they are screaming at my clumsy butt, but not this time. Anyway, a big mountain lion comes over the hill toward us, about 30 yards. I have a 300 WSM pointed at it, so I am not particularly scared, but my wife is getting itchy. Finally, she jumps up and screams "holy fuck, holy fuck it's charging and it is going to kill us." Of course the cat turned right around and ran away. Point being, other than grizzlies, there aren't many animals out there that are going to mess with a screaming crazy lady, so unless you really want to hunt one of them, let them go on their way. They aren't likely to hurt you. Doesn't hurt to have a gun pointed at them in case they are wrong in the head, but most predators are pretty cool animals.

BTW, this is a 100% true story from about 3 weeks ago. She won't live it down for a long time.

Well, I have limited experiences with blackie, as they have invited themselves to breakfast and supper, as well as inspecting our 16 foot Lund fishing boat. I’ve shared several blueberry patches with them and have scared the hell out of a couple just sunny themselves on a rock overlooking water.

One found a spot to defeat our bear fence at 0-30 dark and was about to make his way into our food shack when 3 of us rolled out of our fart sacks and prepared to do battle in our shorts - he wasn’t in battle mode, so he just retreated/busted through the fence in a different spot.

The odds of you running into a predatory blackie is less than 1 in a million, so go forth in peace and enjoy the outdoors. Just another piece of advice - if you think blackie can’t get into locked vehicles containing food that has a nice aroma - you will be disappointed, as ole blackie will find a way to tear out a window and you won’t enjoy his methods of “looking around”. Same goes for your camp when you leave food with no bear fence or a bear fence poorly grounded.;)

Reactions: Choid