• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing slide refinshing

sniper307

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2005
louisiana
who here does slide refinishing? i have two older Sig Sauer handguns with the K-Kote finish that are pretty worn. i would like to have them re-done in a black something finish. i also have a Series 70 government model colt that is nickel. i would like to have the nickel stripped and the gun refinished. anyone do that either?

Re: slide refinshing

Get some "Moly Resin" and follow the directions, its pretty easy to do.

Re: slide refinshing

Just did that a couple of weeks ago to a Springfield 1911.

Here is how I did it:

Put some 120 or 100 grit sandpaper on a FLAT piece of STIFF metal. You do not want it to flex because if it does, you will have an uneven surface on your slide. Take the flats of the slide and push them across the sandpaper. It will take the finish off in short order.

For the round top, I took a strip of sandpaper and carefully "shoeshined" the top to remove the finish. If you are careful, you will not round the transition area at the junction of the flat sides and round top.

Note: this was a blue steel pistol and had no nickel finish.

Take the Brownells Teflon-Moly finish and follow directions. I think you will be surprised at the results.

david