• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

slight Delema

jkkfam89

Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Bloomfield
Ok, here are my choices.

I have a EDM Arms Model 98 windrunner in 338 lapua

1. Buy the .408 barrell and bolt as well as the 50 cal. barrell and bolt. Three total calibers.

2. Get a Barrett 416.

Please help my choice by picking 1 or 2

Re: slight Delema

1. Didnt you already have a 416 at one time? Unless my memory is failing you did because I discussed the pros and cons of it with you on SP IIRC.

2. No one can help you make that decision without know what you expecting from the rifle and what your level of skill is in regards to expectations.

Thanks

Yes I did. I never recieved the ammunition when I bought it and the ammo was so hard to get. I sold it for the edm arms. People can help me with their suggestions.
Good memory though.

LOL glad to know I not losing my memory skills then LOL.

Well as far as getting ammo is concerned---The 408, 416 and the 375/408 are in about the same boat there in regards to you can get loaded ammo but from very very limited "sources" and best way is to load your own.

That is why I asked your skill level in regards to expectations BEFORE anyone can legitimately give you suggestions because it makes no sense for someone to tell you either 416 or 408 when you are wanting to not deal with loading your own, in that case the 50cal would get the suggestion because you can get sooo many options in commercial available ammo.

Here is what would help for people to give you the proper suggestions that is geared towards you instead of them:

1. How far distance wise are you thinking your going to shoot?
2. What type of target are you going to shoot?
3. Do you have experience in reloading?
4. Are you willing to buy up ammo components as they come about in larger quantities than 100?
5. What is your experience in shooting your 338LM in regards to have you exceeded its operational distance with great success or you just wanting to go to bigger system (I been there and done that
smile.gif
)

1. How far distance wise are you thinking your going to shoot? Always want to test the limits.

2. What type of target are you going to shoot? Steel

3. Do you have experience in reloading? Just starting

4. Are you willing to buy up ammo components as they come about in larger quantities than 100? Yes

5. What is your experience in shooting your 338LM in regards to have you exceeded its operational distance with great success or you just wanting to go to bigger system (I been there and done that )Just wanting a bigger system. I am far from experienced when it comes to long range shooting. But everyone needs to start somewhere I guess.

Are you sure that the EDM action in 338 LM is going to be able to accomodate the 50 BMG or anything that is 50 based? Just wondering?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you sure that the EDM action in 338 LM is going to be able to accomodate the 50 BMG or anything that is 50 based? Just wondering?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkkfam89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a EDM Arms Model 98 windrunner in 338 lapua
</div></div>

Good Catch Desert.

jkk: The model 98 is the little 338LM version which the last time I shot one of those with Tom & EDM it was not compatible with the bolt and barrel change you referring to. The model 96 is the largest model that comes as a 50BMG and you can go down in bolt and barrel size from it. The XM is the model that comes as a 408CT and you can go down in bolt and barrel size from it.
But I have not talked with Tom or Bill in some time so they may have had election foresight and changed the sizes of model numbers to accomodate that. If they have the website has not been updated in either the products page or the news page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MR3GUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">416. Definite cool factor.</div></div>

3Gun: Man you being a gunsmith...is that your serious answer
smile.gif

What twist is the 338LM bbl? If it will run 300gr. Sierra's or the new Bergers & Lapua Scenar whenever they become available it might be better use of funds & time to get comfortable with the limits of the 338 Lapua. Lots of load data available, components are relatively cheap for the level of performance they provide. If your bbl won't run 300's then there are several good 250gr bullets. Lapua Lockbase, Lapua Scenar & Sierra Matchkings. In my experience the 338 Lapua will teach you an awful lot about long range shooting.
Semper Fi

The world record prairie dog hit was at 3125 yards with a 338, (300 grainer) It will get out there with the right set up.Craig the guy who shot it actually shoots his at 2 miles (3400 yards) and hits a 20 inch steel plate. The 375/408,etc smoke it in the ballistic department but use what you got and shoot others to get an idea of what you want then make a decision

I went with the UN-COOL idea.lol
I got the 408 cheytac and 50 bmg barrels.

50bmg is done, he is awaiting the 408 to come back to finish.
Bill is awesome to deal with.

Later: It is compatible (obviously since I got them).

I appreciate the feedback

1 in 12 twist

Later: Thanks for the info. Is this a new production M98 338LM?

No, it is not. This was over in Afgahnistan and was not really used. Log book showed a couple hundred shots. Bill got it back and I bought it.