• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Slightly confused, a foot low after adjustments?

DerMeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Michigan
I'm not experienced by any means with LR shooting. 300yrds is the max I have shot and I have only done it twice. The second time being today.

An 11" target was rougly 1 mil, which I figured to be 305yrds.

I dialed 4.25MOA and shot twice. Both rounds landed within 3" of eachother, but an entire foot low. Shooting 147gr NATO surplus. Doubled checked all the numbers and scope adjustments.

I am using an R700 SPS-T with the Houge stock. Could the lack of a free floated barrel cause this?

Re: Slightly confused, a foot low after adjustments?

What load data are you using (velocity, BC, ect), exterior conditions wont play a big roll in POI at that range, but it is always something to consider. Where did you get 4.25 MOA for 305 yards for the given load?

Kirk R

Re: Slightly confused, a foot low after adjustments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could the lack of a free floated barrel cause this? </div></div>

Negative. You have something else going on.

4moa sounds right, but your bullet required 8 moa to hit.
Something is wrong with your initial zero or scope or your range estimation. Are you 100% sure its got a solid 100yd zero? If so, put a piece of paper with at least 12" of vertical length at 100yds. Shot a group with your zero - POI (Point of Impact) should be going into your POA (Point of Aim). Next, dial in 4.5minutes on your scope and again shoot at the same POA as the initial group - this group should go into a POI ~4.5" above your POA (if not, your scope is F*cked). If it does, dial in 8minutes on your scope and shoot another group at your same POA - this group should be ~8" above your orginial POA.

I bet this solves your problem or at least gives you confidence your zero is and scope are good.

If not, then you are not shooting at 305yds. Maybe your scope was saying it was 0.8 mils and you read it wrong (i.e. it was really 380-400yds)?