• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling and shooting positions?

Re: Sling and shooting positions?

The angled prone is not used, and no one in the Army uses a sling anymore unless they are on a Marksmanship team. The kneeling position is changed and the offhand isn't used.
USMC, same old basic marksmanship with positions and slings modified just a bit from that old video.

Learn the sling. Learn the proper positions. It makes one a better shooter. See Art of the Rifle

Reactions: Masta_Gunz

I really enjoyed watching this bit of "Americana". What's revealing is that marksmanship facts have been around for a long time, perhaps, since the invention of rifling. These facts have not changed. What's changed is the thoroughness of training. Some marksmanship facts have been lost over time. I think this training film could get today's shooter off to a good start to becoming a marksman as well as any modern curriculum.

One thing though, I think some facts are lost due to realities on the ground precluding their consideration. Take for example the loop sling, if there's no chance of using it, teaching it could be considered pointless.

glad you enjoyed the vids. I thought they were informative to some extent as I like to shoot M1Garands and 03 Springfields. It's the first time I've seen the 1907 sling used as a cuff sling. I wonder if there are updates for the web sling floating around out there?