• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling for PRS shooting

insidetheten

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2018
Ojai, CA
I'm a newby to PRS, so big learning curve here. My rifle is built on a MPA chassis. Looking for recommendations for a sling. Any advice is welcome, and if you can throw in some info on why your sling works for you, and what details you like about it, I would greatly appreciate it!!

THANKS!!

Before this thread is inundated with suggestions of everyone's favorite sling, I think you need to hammer out what you're looking to do with the sling. I understand that you're new to all of this so you may not realize the shear number of options that are available on the market now. I remember when we basically had a few options for slings but now we have slings that are quick adjust, some less so, some excel at shooting as a loop sling, others work better for shooting off of tripods. Some slings work better when used with AR-10's or AR-15's and other slings work better with heavy precision bolt guns.

For a heavy bolt action rifle I like a sling that is wider, generally 1.5" is about the standard, and I find that it supports the weight of the rifle very well. Lighter rifles like AR-15's and hunting rifles will do fine with a standard AR sling that is about 1" wide and features some sort of quick adjust feature. You also need to explore the features that a sling has and how that plays into it being used to provide the best support possible in a given situation.

For example, for use in conjunction with a tripod the sling should be quick adjust and have a loop that you can use a carabiner to clip in to. Once your rifle is attached to the tripod or resting in a saddle you can tension the sling and then crouch a little to provide extra tension and stability. For kneeling or sitting shots, this sling can also be utilized by slinging up in a patrol carry fashion and tightening the sling so that it's pulling tension across your back.

If you would like to use the sling more for support in sitting, kneeling, or prone positions then a sling that features a shooter's loop might be more up your alley. In my opinion, it's also better for a new shooter to start on this kind of sling since it will help instill the fundamentals of sling use that you can utilize across all of the other sling types. Again, for loop slings I like wider slings and having a quick adjust feature is very handy if you need to make a few small tweeks here and there while you're in position. Depending on what type of loop sling you get, they can also be used effectively with tripods too by running the sling down through the legs and connecting back to the buttstock. Tension the sling and it will help pull the rifle down into the tripod.

AR slings on bolt guns can also be used effectively but in my opinion they are a little thin for liking on a rifle that weighs over 12 lbs. AR slings are usually quick adjust and depending on the brand can be utilized as a loop sling as well in a pinch.

It's unfortunate but good sling use is becoming a dying art outside of a few specific disciplines.

Here are my recommendations for a few options based on the above.

Sling for use with tripod: TAB Gear PRS Sling. Expensive but an awesome sling that is very adjustable and very stable shooting off of tripods and barricades. It worked fairly well in sitting and kneeling positions too but to me not as stable as a traditional loop sling.

The carabineer loop in action off of a Manfroto tripod.  Note the sling routed under the tripo...JPG

TAB Gear PRS Sling

Loop Sling: $ - Mountain Shooter Sling or TIS Slip Cuff Sling - Theses are no frills slings designed to be used as a loop sling to pass your arm through and use in a more traditional sense in the sitting, kneeling, or prone. They can be used with tripods with some adjustment and experimentation but a great sling to learn on.
$$ - Armageddon Gear PRS Sling - Probably my favorite sling for use across AR's and bolt guns. Lightweight, fast adjust, with bungee rear section to help take up the weight of a heavy gun. The loop sling portion is quick to adjust when going from different positions in a hurry and is pretty stable, even with a heavy 17 lb rifle.

Wrap the arm around the sling so that the strap lays flat across the back of the hand with no ...JPG

Armageddon Gear PRS Sling

AR Sling: VTAC padded sling - It's not crazy expensive, I like the quick adjust that you can tension all the way up if you want to, and the padded section keeps everything comfy, even if you're carrying the rifle all day. If you want to use it as a shooting support, you can tighten the sling while wearing it in a patrol carry and it can pull tension across your back. Doing this I've been able to consistently hit a BC plate at 300 from the kneeling without much issue.

Hope this helped...good luck.

I have a Rifles Only carbine sling. It seems to be half way between way too complicated and enough functionality to be useful.

I will admit that for the time being, it’s a really great carrying strap and I need to practice/learn more about the lost art of squeezing accuracy from proper use of a sling.

Consider me staying tuned for how slings are effectively used in PRS competitions. I’ve never been to one, but I suspect I wouldn’t see many slings there.

Reactions: insidetheten
The Rifles Only Bungee Sling works great. Fast to get in and out of and to adjust length when moving from position to position which is important in matches. Also the cuff stays tight and doesn't slip loose like some can. I have used a bunch of others mentioned above but like the RO sling the best.

Other videos out there too.

Shooting prone, kneeling, sitting, and standing with a sling is a great Skillset that will revel any weaknesses of fundamental marksmanship skills. ‘Modern’ precision rifle marksmanship is based on the principle of recoil management to allow the shooter to spot their own impacts. To that end proper mechanics to manage recoil require the shooter to be square behind the rifle. This is fairly easily achieved in modern shooting with the front of the rifle supported by a bipod, tripod, or fixed object ( window sill , tree branch, fence post , etc.....)

Proper use of a sling unsupported produces body mechanics that are not square behind the rifle. Because of this sling shooting unsupported is Seldom the best choice to produce hits at distance. It’s a great skill to have in the toolbox when there is no support available for the rifle. A sling can be used to add tension to a square position to minimize the wobble zone in an unideal set up

I’ ve Spent a small fortune on slings. Most usable for matches and hunting are the rifles only slings or the simple ‘Appleseed’ sling. 90% of time sling is now used as a carry device. Ruffles only bungee carbine is comfy and simple with no extra straps to get tangle in other gear.

Thanks everyone for all the replies so far. Lot of good information. My rifle is a heavy bolt action, and like I said. I'm new to this sport, so learning a lot. I think what I need to start with is a sling that will allow me to use the arm cuff in various positions to get proficient in the basics of sling use. Lot of options presented here, so I need to sort it out. One of the members here extended an invite to check out some matches down in Pala, which I will do so I can see how things work in a match. Maybe I can get a couple of the guys to let me try how their slings work. The range that I shoot steel at just announced that they are starting once monthly PRS matches, so there will be more opportunities to check things out. Has anyone used the SAP sling? Thanks again for the info!!

Man I'm going to be honest with you I've bought more s*** since I got into PRS last year than I would like to admit. And the absolute least used thing I bought is my sling. I've shot about a dozen national matches and 20 or so Club matches and can count on one hand the times I've used a sling.

If you're getting into PRS I would suggest you build a barricade and get some props in the backyard to practice dry firing off of and do it regularly. Spend all your extra time learning how to shoot in the wind.

The ability to build a steady position coupled with solid fundamentals and wind reading skills will dictate your success more so than anything else in my humble opinion.

Rifles only carbine length bungee sling is my suggestion if you prefer not to take all my previous advice, lol.

Dan

That's all good advice as well but you still need a good sling as matches do tend to throw one in from time to time. Taking or not taking the advice above should have nothing to do with sling selection. My sling stays packed in my pack until it's needed but it is needed from time to time so buy a good one and practice with it as well as the other things to practice mentioned above.

Man I'm going to be honest with you I've bought more s*** since I got into PRS last year than I would like to admit. And the absolute least used thing I bought is my sling. I've shot about a dozen national matches and 20 or so Club matches and can count on one hand the times I've used a sling.

If you're getting into PRS I would suggest you build a barricade and get some props in the backyard to practice dry firing off of and do it regularly. Spend all your extra time learning how to shoot in the wind.

The ability to build a steady position coupled with solid fundamentals and wind reading skills will dictate your success more so than anything else in my humble opinion.

Rifles only carbine length bungee sling is my suggestion if you prefer not to take all my previous advice, lol.

Dan
I support this??I don’t have time to use a sling in a match

Sometimes you don't have a choice as the course of fire says you have to use it. I have used mine a few times last year. You should always have a sling in your pack and practice with it. If not you will give up points.

What would y’all recommend for just a good carry sling for matches? I agree with the above comments as I have never used a sling as a shooting platform in a match. However, I do have to do a lot of walking at my local match.

I am not sure about the bungee slings as I would think it would sag over time when the rifle is hanging free on my shoulder.

That Colorado precision sling looks like a potential winner.

What would y’all recommend for just a good carry sling for matches? I agree with the above comments as I have never used a sling as a shooting platform in a match. However, I do have to do a lot of walking at my local match.

I am not sure about the bungee slings as I would think it would sag over time when the rifle is hanging free on my shoulder.

That Colorado precision sling looks like a potential winner.

I have a bunch of different slings and the one I prefer by far is the TAB Gear PRS sling. No bungee, rapid adjustments, built like a tank, and almost infinitely configurable to fit you. I picked one up on a prize table and ended up buying a second one later.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I have a Mountain Shooters Sling. Primarily for carry. I also use it as a hasty. It is not easy for me to sleeve it up as I do not practice with it. I also use the rear of it in place of a rear bag. I do not see anyone else using it like I do as I need to get a rear bag some day.
He makes an excellent sling up in WV.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
Like a few others here I tried a few different slings out for PRS style matches myself. Loop cuff slings I could never get to work right for me, the weren’t comfortable to carry the rifle around with and I couldn’t ever get the loop to function as it was intended to help support the rifle.

I have one of the Rifles Only carbine slings and it is super comfortable to carry a rifle with as the bungee does a great job of allowing you to have that “give” from the stretch to support the rifle well. The quick adjust is simple and easy to use as well to allow for thte sling to be loosened or tightened up easily and the bungee allows for you to tighten up and then push the rifle and stretch the bungee out to allow the sling to hold tension and do a lot of the work for you in supporting the rifle. I did find myself constantly fidgeting with the length when I would use the sling though as it seemed I could never quite get the right amount of tension (for me) when trying to use it as intended.

Currently I am using one of the magpul slings (the MS1 padded) right now. It works a little better for me personally cause of how I am using it for support and to carry the rifle. It’s got plenty of length for adjustment (almost too much) and I like the quick adjustments and actually prefer how it doesn’t have the bungee built in so that when I tighten it up and push back or flex against it, there’s no stretch and it holds tight across my back and shoulders. I also like that with the wider strap of the padded portion it’s comfortable enough to support the rifle (either carbine or bolt gun).

There’s some good pictures on sling use and video too from Jacob at Rifles Only explaining his bungee slings and over at HogSaddle website there’s good video and pictures as well for different types of sling use for support and stability that could also help you sort out which type of sling (bungee or not bungee, cuff or not) you might want to try out and use. Aside from asking around and trying to watch some videos or look at pics, only thing I will say is to practice with the sling and different positions as much as you do without. Even if it’s just (at a minimum) some dryfire practice to see how you can use the sling to help with positional shoointg stability. Using a sling changes and adds different things to a practice routine that you may or may not use in an actual match. I use mine a lot and I just do a lot of practice and a handful of club / one day matches during the year and can’t recall seeing a lot of others using one at any of the matches I go to, but I find it useful for sure.

Like a few others here I tried a few different slings out for PRS style matches myself. Loop cuff slings I could never get to work right for me, the weren’t comfortable to carry the rifle around with and I couldn’t ever get the loop to function as it was intended to help support the rifle.

I have one of the Rifles Only carbine slings and it is super comfortable to carry a rifle with as the bungee does a great job of allowing you to have that “give” from the stretch to support the rifle well. The quick adjust is simple and easy to use as well to allow for thte sling to be loosened or tightened up easily and the bungee allows for you to tighten up and then push the rifle and stretch the bungee out to allow the sling to hold tension and do a lot of the work for you in supporting the rifle. I did find myself constantly fidgeting with the length when I would use the sling though as it seemed I could never quite get the right amount of tension (for me) when trying to use it as intended.

Currently I am using one of the magpul slings (the MS1 padded) right now. It works a little better for me personally cause of how I am using it for support and to carry the rifle. It’s got plenty of length for adjustment (almost too much) and I like the quick adjustments and actually prefer how it doesn’t have the bungee built in so that when I tighten it up and push back or flex against it, there’s no stretch and it holds tight across my back and shoulders. I also like that with the wider strap of the padded portion it’s comfortable enough to support the rifle (either carbine or bolt gun).

There’s some good pictures on sling use and video too from Jacob at Rifles Only explaining his bungee slings and over at HogSaddle website there’s good video and pictures as well for different types of sling use for support and stability that could also help you sort out which type of sling (bungee or not bungee, cuff or not) you might want to try out and use. Aside from asking around and trying to watch some videos or look at pics, only thing I will say is to practice with the sling and different positions as much as you do without. Even if it’s just (at a minimum) some dryfire practice to see how you can use the sling to help with positional shoointg stability. Using a sling changes and adds different things to a practice routine that you may or may not use in an actual match. I use mine a lot and I just do a lot of practice and a handful of club / one day matches during the year and can’t recall seeing a lot of others using one at any of the matches I go to, but I find it useful for sure.

I am leaning this direction. Keep it simple. Money isn’t an issue and I really like the sling options above but it looks like a lot of features I don’t need.

I like that Colorado Precision sling but it looks like a lot of hanging straps.

Shooting prone, kneeling, sitting, and standing with a sling is a great Skillset that will revel any weaknesses of fundamental marksmanship skills. ‘Modern’ precision rifle marksmanship is based on the principle of recoil management to allow the shooter to spot their own impacts. To that end proper mechanics to manage recoil require the shooter to be square behind the rifle. This is fairly easily achieved in modern shooting with the front of the rifle supported by a bipod, tripod, or fixed object ( window sill , tree branch, fence post , etc.....)

Proper use of a sling unsupported produces body mechanics that are not square behind the rifle. Because of this sling shooting unsupported is Seldom the best choice to produce hits at distance. It’s a great skill to have in the toolbox when there is no support available for the rifle. A sling can be used to add tension to a square position to minimize the wobble zone in an unideal set up

I’ ve Spent a small fortune on slings. Most usable for matches and hunting are the rifles only slings or the simple ‘Appleseed’ sling. 90% of time sling is now used as a carry device. Ruffles only bungee carbine is comfy and simple with no extra straps to get tangle in other gear.

I love my Rifles Only sling too. Its fast.

Holy 2 year thread bump. No one really uses slings anymore in PRS

LoL @ 2 year bump.

Brining mine to Guardian GTI in November so I'm brushing the rust off it.

I see things like slings and tripods go hot and cold. When I started out few years ago I brought a tripod to my first match but it never got used. Now when I shoot a match, we have tripod stages.

Yes things have evolved since my last post…..sling is a tool and using one is a skill set to keep in the tool box. Bags and tripods are now the first choice for positional shooting. Sling is used less often but still a valuable skill set when tripod/bag wont work or is not available. As Sogan said slings are seldom used now for folks shooting a well balanced heavier rifle.

I've never heard of these guys before. Are you affiliated with them? Have you used them before and compared to other similar slings?

I like certain aspects of the sling such as that it appears you can be slung up and have it tensioned on a belt or something to work off a tripod or barricade. I'm just not wild about the 1" webbing, for heavier rifles I prefer wider webbing for better weight distribution, good looking stuff though.

Reactions: Yote_Reaper
I've never heard of these guys before. Are you affiliated with them? Have you used them before and compared to other similar slings?

I like certain aspects of the sling such as that it appears you can be slung up and have it tensioned on a belt or something to work off a tripod or barricade. I'm just not wild about the 1" webbing, for heavier rifles I prefer wider webbing for better weight distribution, good looking stuff though.
I do know them yes. They are a newer company but they're definitely not new to the industry or PRS work. I have been using the sling for about 3-4 months now. I do agree with what you're saying about the weight distribution. However with this sling I'm not feeling anything crazy noticeable and I'm running a decked out SR25. I know there are some SOF dudes using it as well on some .338 Norma Mags and .300 Win Mags and they're a big fan so far without any complaints about weight distribution. I believe the main focus on the sling was more toward versatility, being light weight, and less bulky. Overall I've been very pleased with it, but slings are used many different ways by many different people so I guess it all depends on what fits you best. Just wanted to share their product in case it fits anyone's needs on here.

I do know them yes. They are a newer company but they're definitely not new to the industry or PRS work. I have been using the sling for about 3-4 months now. I do agree with what you're saying about the weight distribution. However with this sling I'm not feeling anything crazy noticeable and I'm running a decked out SR25. I know there are some SOF dudes using it as well on some .338 Norma Mags and .300 Win Mags and they're a big fan so far without any complaints about weight distribution. I believe the main focus on the sling was more toward versatility, being light weight, and less bulky. Overall I've been very pleased with it, but slings are used many different ways by many different people so I guess it all depends on what fits you best. Just wanted to share their product in case it fits anyone's needs on here.

That's cool, I was just wondering because we've had guys hop on here before trying shill product and skirt the rules.