• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling Help - SPR

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
I wanna put a sling on my Noveske N6 18" SPR. I'm considering a Viking VTAC2. I suspect they were originally intended for a carbine but even though scoped, the N6 with the 18" tube and Emod stock seems "carbineish" (and heavy) and not that well suited for a TAB or TIS style sling.

Comments from users ? What did you choose for your SPR type rifle ?

Re: Sling Help - SPR

i played around with a lot of sling sets ups and ended up doing exactly what you are thinking about for my 18" larue with sopmod stock SPR set up. I do not do very much sling supported shooting so what I wanted was a sling that could fill in with some support when needed but carrying was the main consideration and the vtac filled those roles nicely for me....ymmv

If you like the look of the VTAC2 also take a look at the Vickers VCAS. They are both very well made and comfortable to use. The big difference is that the tail on the Vickers does not get longer or shorter as you adjust the sling whereas the VCAS does. I personally run the Vickers on my work rifle and not having a long tail to catch on things is preferred for me.

Go with a Blue Force, they are adjustable and do not leave you with a foot long pig tail like the Vtac. Get a push button sling swivel so you can mount the sling to the quick detach hole located on the rail for comfortable carrying. If you want to do sling supported shooting, then get an additional quick detach sling swivel mount and locate that on the bottom of your rail at the desired position.

Oops, just saw the Vickers tag in my Blue Force sling, so I guess Maelstrom and I are speaking about the same sling. So plus one for the Vickers.

Padded VTACII for me. By the way the VTAC has a vecro loop to take care of the pigtail situation. Now go forth and be happy.

The Noveske AR10 is set up with a padded Blue Force Vickers.

The Tan Ar15 SPR is set up with a Padded Vtac.

Top pictures is with the slings adjusted all the way open.

IMG_20110709_162511.jpg

The picture bellow shows both slings adjusted tight. Note the pig tail left over on the Vtac.
IMG_20110709_162552.jpg

Both slings are adjustable and both slings are padded to offer the same level of comfort. The Blue Force is much simpler to operate.

...Yes, you could wrap tape, velcro, or whatever you want around the Vtac's pigtail, but why?

Blue Force Vickers slings are the best.

we use VTAC at work and in 3 months most are fraying to the point of getting replaced.

Thats alot of slings, more then 25.

John

Is it worth getting the Blue Force Vickers with the sewen on push button QD sling swivels ? I already have extra of those... is there a problem threading them on the standard Vickers sling ? Or is it just that the sewen on ones look cuter :)

You don't have to have them sewn in if you have an extra set of swivels. Either one will work. I used the sewn in style because I did not have the swivels so it was just easier for me.

I ended up purchasing both the VTAC2 and VCAS slings to evaluate them. After trying them both I found that I liked the VCAS best for the reasons mentioned here and the fact that it fits my use model better, I think it carries a heavy rifle better. Both slings are quality kit... much better then any of the options I've tried in the past. I know this... I'll never use a single point sling again. Either of these, IMHO, is superior to a single point.