• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sling stud repair/reinforcement DIY project

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
Another DIY project for you guys willing to tackle your own repairs and work.

Hide member <span style="font-weight: bold">fw707</span> recently sent me an HS Precision LTR stock for a bit of work (stud reinforcement and flush cup install) and I thought I'd share a few tips for you guys. It's an easy fix if you have stripped or broken a sud out of your stock and takes minimal time/equipment to fix.

Here's a list of what you are gonna need.....

1. 10/24 T-Nut
2. 5/16" bit
3. 7/8" spade bit
4. Epoxy of some sorts (Dev-Con 2-part 5 minute used here)

Photo of needed items.....

IMAG0082.jpg

For those not familiar, this is a T-Nut.....

IMAG0083.jpg

Here's the outline for the project......

1. First we have to open up the existing stud location for the through hole on the stock for our T-Nut, here we use the 5/16" bit. You can accomplish this with an ordinary hand drill, I did this project on my drill press and a cross slide vise. We flip the stock "belly up" and drill our hole from the bottom towards the barrel channel like so......

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

2. After we drill out our through hole, we need to flip her over and prepare the recess for the T-Nut. We need to insure we are centered in out through hole and drill <span style="font-weight: bold">JUST</span> deep enough to recess the T-Nut below the barrel channel. This is where we are gonna use the spade bit to recess everything below the barrel channel. Goes a little somethin' like this.....

Before.....

IMAG0086.jpg

After.....

IMAG0087.jpg

3. Once we have our through hole opened up and the recess for the T-Nut we're ready to install the T-Nut. Mix a small dab of epoxy and place it in the recess for the flange of the T-Nut <span style="font-weight: bold">ONLY</span>, a little dab will do here, no need to go overboard. After the epoxy is in, press the T-Nut into the stock. Now, take the stud and screw it into the T-Nut. As you thread the stud in, it will pull the teeth of the T-Nut into the stock material itself to prevent it from turning. Slow and steady wins the race here, even pressure when you tighten her down. Make sure that you only thread it in far enough to bottom the flange of the T-Nut into the recess.....<span style="color: #FF0000">NO GORILLA TORQUE NEEDED</span>!

As the epoxy eases up around the flange, smooth it out and allow it to set up. You now have a reinforced/repaired front sling stud!

The finished product.....

IMAG0088.jpg

Total time is about 30 minutes or so on the repair/install and is super sturdy when completed. As usual, hope this helps you DIY guys or those wanting to tackle this but didn't know how!

Re: Sling stud repair/reinforcement DIY project

Oh yeah!
Don't have to worry about that one going anywhere.

Thanks LawDawg!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah!
Don't have to worry about that one going anywhere.

Thanks LawDawg! </div></div>

Glad to help my friend! Stock will be on its way home tomorrow.

I got the stock in the mail this morning. Da-Law-Dog does things right!
4 flush cups installed, bipod stud reinforced, and sanded and primed ready for my first attempt at a 3-color (GAP?) paint job. I think it turned out OK. What do y'all think?

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

T-nuts are the way to go, although this last one I did I inletted a 1" X 3" chunk of 1/4" thick aluminum plate to back up the existing threaded insert. Lotsa anti-pull through there, and big enough to D&T later for a rail there if needed.

Nice paint....I just put the brown on a woodland pattern, with the black still to go.

Jeff,

Glad you are happy with the work I did for you!! That's what its all about my friend!

Paint looks good & the .223 AI will look good set in there!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentSniperVT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is the best place to get a few of those T-Nuts </div></div>

Any of your local hardware stores should have them. For a standard sling stud, you need the 10x24 thread T-Nut.

On a safe note, take the stud with you and double check as some aren't threaded the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentSniperVT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is the best place to get a few of those T-Nuts </div></div>

Any of your local hardware stores should have them. For a standard sling stud, you need the 10x24 thread T-Nut.

On a safe note, take the stud with you and double check as some aren't threaded the same. </div></div>

Thanks will check some hardware store out

I've used an aluminum plate before too, but thats a great simple fix if your wanting to strengthen just a sling swivel. Well done.

cool, thanks for putting that up

Old topic, I know, but I couldn't help but point out some inconsistencies with your information vis-a-vis my own stock.

I have a 5R stock that I am repairing (those sling studs suck!) and just thought I should offer my own observations:

1) 5/16" is way too big of a drill bit. It very nearly causes the stud to sink into the stock and also allows a lot of play with a t-nut. I used a 15/64" and it fit the outside diameter of a t-nut perfectly with little to no play.

2) I don't know about your sling studs, but 10-24 t-nuts will cause cross-threading with my sling studs. I used 10-32 t-nuts and they fit perfectly.

3) You'll notice in the above pic there is a bit of gap between the outside diameter of the t-nut flange and the recess cut by the spade bit.

To avoid cutting an unnecessarily large hole in the stock, use a 3/4" spade bit, which a 10-32 t-nut flange will fit into quite nicely.

This will also serve to lessen the likelihood of your spade bit accidentally shearing off some of the barrel channel that you'd like to remain intact, if you're using a hand drill that is.

Other than the tweaks for my particular stock, this is a good mod and probably should be done for all H-S stocks if all of them lose their sling studs this easily.