• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling supported prone

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
I've been working on improving my sling supported position shooting and want to make sure I am practicing proper fundamentals.

In standing, kneeling, and sitting, while building bone support, I get my support forearm as vertical as possible, then relax, letting my bone support my rifle.

We have an advantage shooting prone in that in addition to our support elbow, our strong elbow is on a solid base.

Question is:
Should I insist on a vertical support arm from the prone position or triangle my elbows out slightly to let my strong side elbow share in the support of my rifle?

It seems to me the latter is the most solid position, kind like a bi-pod verses a mono-pod though I could be missing something.

I have shot well from both positions but using my strong elbow for support seems like it would be more consistent.

Again, this is sling supported. No bi-pod and no bag.

Thanks.

Re: Sling supported prone

The elbow of the non-firing hand needs to be as close to being under the rifle as a relaxed position will allow. Let the elbow of the firing hand fall where ever it drops naturally.

I was hoping you would respond to my post SS.

I'll gladly take your advice.

Thank you.

As SS said, the right (shooting) elbow should be a comfortable distance from the body,

Careful though, bringing the elbow in too close will raise the right shoulder to an uncomfortable height.

The "cocked-leg" position will take pressure off your right elbow which allows you to have a relaxed but firm grip on the pistol grip making it easier to squeeze the trigger straight to the rear without disturbing you sights.

Get the sling as high as you can on your left (non-shooting)arm.

You need to know how far verticle or under the gun your left arm needs to be by checking your Natural Point of Aim. The prone position using your Natural Point of Aim is going to be uncomfortable until muscle memory and ligament stretch kick-in from doing it a lot.

One of the easiest ways to check/practice your NPOA in any position is to attach a visible light laser boresighter or a laser pointer (duct taped to the bbl w/ the switch zip tied on) so that the laser pointer is visible on your target while you are in what you think is your NPOA (standing,kneeling, prone). As you breath in and out the laser beam should travel straight up and down w/ no horizontal component. If your laser is moving at a 5-45% slant...you need to adjust.

When you dry fire the gun (snapping in) the same thing applies....did the beam bounce right...dragging wood with your trigger finger or too much finger in the trigger....bounced left...too little finger etc.

Remember, the laser beam is giving you feedback so it needs to be visible in your sight picture whether you're using irons or a scope. I hope these comments assist you in a concrete manner.

Interestingly, movement of either elbow, even a minuscule amount, will effect bullet placement. For a shooter shooting from the right shoulder, non firing hand elbow movement brings about vertical dispersion, while movement of the firing hand elbow along with a high right shoulder as Kraig alluded will bring about horizontal dispersion. Shooting my Service Rifle at LR I've needed to learn how to rebuild my position shot to shot to what seems to me to be identical shot to shot to just get a reliable no wind zero at LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uhlan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to know how far verticle or under the gun your left arm needs to be by checking your Natural Point of Aim. The prone position using your Natural Point of Aim is going to be uncomfortable until muscle memory and ligament stretch kick-in from doing it a lot.

One of the easiest ways to check/practice your NPOA in any position is to attach a visible light laser boresighter or a laser pointer (duct taped to the bbl w/ the switch zip tied on) so that the laser pointer is visible on your target while you are in what you think is your NPOA (standing,kneeling, prone). As you breath in and out the laser beam should travel straight up and down w/ no horizontal component. If your laser is moving at a 5-45% slant...you need to adjust.

When you dry fire the gun (snapping in) the same thing applies....did the beam bounce right...dragging wood with your trigger finger or too much finger in the trigger....bounced left...too little finger etc.

Remember, the laser beam is giving you feedback so it needs to be visible in your sight picture whether you're using irons or a scope. I hope these comments assist you in a concrete manner.

</div></div>

The prone sling supported position when made correct will likely be unnatural for the new shooter. That's why its a good idea to solicit a highly qualified coach to observe the shooter.

There are three elements to any position: muscular relaxation, NPA, and bone/artificial support. When building the position the shooter should be cognisant of the 5 factors of a steady position, and, when no consideration is made for the target, the shooter will indeed have a NPA whether the position has or has not been built properly. At any rate, whether proper or not, the NPA can be adjusted to get the desire hold from the prone position by steering the belt buckle and moving the non firing hand on the forend.

Resetting the non firing hand elbow does not correct anything except undue muscular effort to maintain the position, as is the case when the non firing elbow is anywhere but under the rifle.

At any rate, a shooter will always get a natural point of aim unless he steers the rifle with the non firing arm as he builds the position. Shooters who steer to target and then attempt to find their NPA will have difficulty with it all for a multitude of reasons.

I sure appreciate all your input.

I have made a point of reading and applying posts particularly from Sterling Shooter and kraigWY as well as Greg L.

I will give a good try to the cocked leg position and try to note any improvement in ease of pulling the trigger straight back. I can't get straight back behind the rifle without readjusting my sling anyways (will leave that to supported with a bi-pod, which I also enjoy practicing) and I'm not sure that is as important a goal when dropping to prone with a sling. A relaxed NPA on target is my goal, with the desired results of a properly executed shot of course.

I have made a point of building my position first then adjusting to the target as you suggest SS and work to get off my ass and avoid steering the rifle.

I have asked at my range (Pala in CA) if there is anyone that could advise on my shooting form and did not get not get a good answer. As nice as those guys are, and as useful and important in other areas, I don't think those guys know very well what we are talking about.

I am able to get quite comfortable in most sling supported positions especially prone(standing kind of sucks)and I consciously try to achieve that.

I am hoping I can pay attention and be diligent to apply the good advice here and not develop too many bad habits.

Thanks again.