• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sloppy AICS mags

TonyC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
England
I've just put my first rifles together that use AICS mags and third party bottom metal.

The 5 rounder is tolerable but the 10 rounder really exagerates how sloppy/rattly the mag system is - (maybe I'm just spoilt by my TRG...)

Do you guys shim the mag well in any way or just live with it?

Cheers

TC

Re: Sloppy AICS mags

Funny you say this, because that's exactly how I felt when I went to the 10 round AICS mags on my new stick vs. my TRG. They do have some wiggle room when the 10 rounders are inserted. That's just how they are.

Tony which mag system is it?
to be honest they all have a bit of mag wobble, as without a little space you can't get the mags in and out.
The AICS is exactly the same,

what you can do is drill and tap the mag system or chassis and insert delrin screws, you adjust these to suit and have them ride against the mag a little, this lets you tighten up the tollerances.

regards Pete

Put a piece of stick velcro tab maybe 1" x 1" on the side where it goes up and you'll be rattle free!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony which mag system is it?
to be honest they all have a bit of mag wobble, as without a little space you can't get the mags in and out.
The AICS is exactly the same,

what you can do is drill and tap the mag system or chassis and insert delrin screws, you adjust these to suit and have them ride against the mag a little, this lets you tighten up the tollerances.

regards Pete</div></div>

I did not mention the mag system as I did not want to put anyone off either one - I don't think they are at fault, they simply mimic the Badger/AICS measurements and tolerances

I like the Delrin screw idea although the sticky velcro will get me over the immediate annoyance until I can get around to drilling and tapping!

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Tony

SSYS then eh.. ive seen a few badger copies in the EU.
All the AICS mag systems seem to wobble a bit, our Howa one wobbles a bit, but not as much as the original AICS,
the Badger system wobbles a bit. The Danish version ive seen wobbles a little bit more than the Badger, but not as much as the AICS.
I'd rather pay for a slightly wobbly AICS mag system than a high priced TRG system. The TRG is counter sprung if i remeber right ???

the delrin screw is an easy 5 minute fix that can be done by anyone.
they need to go in where the section of the AICS mags gets wider towards the bottom, directly down from the feed lips, this way the delrin doesnt interfear at all with rapid mag swap, but just tightens up things a little as the wide part of the mag is forced against the delrin on insertion of mag in mag well..

Ive done it on a few AICS, RCS and mag systems where the guys where using the kit to hunt with and wanted no metalic sounds emmiting from the rifle,.. on a range gun it realy doesnt matter.
providing the mag stays put and feeds, and can be removed when required its fine with a bit of wobble.

regards Pete

regards Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a piece of stick velcro tab maybe 1" x 1" on the side where it goes up and you'll be rattle free!</div></div>

I remembered I had some sticky velcro disks from setting up my shotgun shell holders - just one on the inside of the well and the difference is fantastic with no hang up.

Good on you - great idea!

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSYS then eh.. ive seen a few badger copies in the EU.
All the AICS mag systems seem to wobble a bit, our Howa one wobbles a bit, but not as much as the original AICS,
the Badger system wobbles a bit. The Danish version ive seen wobbles a little bit more than the Badger, but not as much as the AICS.
I'd rather pay for a slightly wobbly AICS mag system than a high priced TRG system. The TRG is counter sprung if i remeber right ???

the delrin screw is an easy 5 minute fix that can be done by anyone.
they need to go in where the section of the AICS mags gets wider towards the bottom, directly down from the feed lips, this way the delrin doesnt interfear at all with rapid mag swap, but just tightens up things a little as the wide part of the mag is forced against the delrin on insertion of mag in mag well..

Ive done it on a few AICS, RCS and mag systems where the guys where using the kit to hunt with and wanted no metalic sounds emmiting from the rifle,.. on a range gun it realy doesnt matter.
providing the mag stays put and feeds, and can be removed when required its fine with a bit of wobble.

regards Pete

regards Pete</div></div>

One SYSS and one CDi - both very similar dimensions although the CDi is the better quality of the two IMO.

As above quick fix done with the velcro tab but I will give the delrin screws a try as I suspect it could be tuned to perfection.
If you have a pic showing where you have set them that would be great.

I hear you on TRG - I need a few more mags but the price is stupid. I may even switch to using AICS mags!

TC

Tony, i will take a pic next time i do one.
I did see that AICS mags will fit in a TRG, but not vice versa.
TRG mags are stupid money and no better than an AI type mag.
The wobble issue is in the system.
regards Pete

Pete: as the local Howa guy, could it be possible to make the (original) AI magazines function with the Howa action?

Ive read one would have to remove to much metal on the Rem 700 to make it work, but what about the Howa?

Oh, and does the AI mags work in the Badger/Roedal detachable system?

I never really noticed anything excessive with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never really noticed anything excessive with mine. </div></div>
Thank you.