• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sloppy training with a .22

breezernate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Johnson City, TN
www.schwaniger.pro
I did a quick search and found nothing on this topic:

I fire a .22 for practice. I find that I can hold it firmly, or let it freely recoil and get similar results. With a "real rifle" like my .308, this doesn't work. With my .308 a firm tug rearward with my shooting hand holds the rifle firmly against my shoulder and tightens my groups, while a limp-wristed style produces sloppy groups.

How do you keep from getting sloppy while shooting a rifle that doesn't recoil?

BN

Re: Sloppy training with a .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigNate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How do you keep from getting sloppy while shooting a rifle that doesn't recoil?

BN </div></div>
you use the same technique no matter what you are shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you use the same technique no matter what you are shooting. </div></div>

Amen, and AMEN!

The point of a .22 Trainer is just that...to sit in as a lower-cost alternative rifle for your more expensive to shoot centerfire equivalent. It is important that you maintain the same techniques (hold on the rifle, trigger manipulation, etc., etc.) across the board to get the most out of any trainer...otherwise, its just plinking with a different rifle and you don't reap the benefits of actually "training." This is one of the reasons that many people attempt to closely replicate the configuration of their centerfire rifles in their trainers (from barrel lengths to stocks to etc., etc.).

how far are you shooting ? how small are your groups ? If your not seeing a change in your spread , maybe you should back up , or get your 22 more accurate. I would think you would see a difference in spread with the .22lr if you were using different techniques, maybe im confused.

I think he does need to increase his distance.

What he's saying is how does he know he's practicing correctly if doing it incorrectly (free recoil) nets him the same results.

I shoot often out to 125 yards with my .22. I had a duplex reticle, which sucked for this, but recently switched to a mildot for better repeatability of holdovers.

I confess I haven't done carfully controlled tests. I notice no difference between free recoil and firm grip at 50 yards with my .22. It is not a tack-driver, either, but an old model 25 Marlin.

I understand the common sense aspect of doing things the same during training, no matter the caliber.

Nate

That's due to the amount of recoil. A .22 with a heavy "trainer" isn't going to move much.

Thats the point of a trainer though, to condition your muscles to memorize the motions from set up, to bipod load, to trigger pull, to follow through. It doesn't matter that your trainer does the same regardless.

Get a tougher target. Try shooting 0.5 dots at 50-75.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats the point of a trainer though, to condition your muscles to memorize the motions from set up, to bipod load, ............. </div></div>

I am relativly new to prescision shooting and have heard people speak about loading the bipod. Ive searched and been unable to find a discription of the technique. Any thoughts would be apreciated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haptoshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats the point of a trainer though, to condition your muscles to memorize the motions from set up, to bipod load, ............. </div></div>

I am relativly new to prescision shooting and have heard people speak about loading the bipod. Ive searched and been unable to find a discription of the technique. Any thoughts would be apreciated </div></div>
join the online training. it has the knowledge you seek.

This discussion has been good for my marksmanship.

Now I hold the .22 firm with my right hand, rearward pressure with smaller 3 digits. I try to get cheek weld and sight picture same as with .308. I am focusing on keeping good trigger squeeze and keeping eyes open to see bullet impacts. I'm confident I can get it to carry over to the bigger gun.

Nate

Then I guess you started a hell of a topic! Good on you!

Hopefully it helped some others as well. Its always good for me to see this type of stuff as well as I can tend to get sloppy myself. I shoot my .22 so much more than my .308 sometimes I forget which one is the "trainer!" LOL!

Here is the thing to remember... a 22LR recoils just like a 308 recoils, it is just a matter of degree. You just need to pay close attention to what happens when your 22 recoils. In a way, this gives you a slow motion picture of what is going on when you fire your 308. You might notice your reticle moves up slightly with your 22. With the 308, that is going to happen times ten.

A little up is OK. If the reticle moves to the right or left, even if it is just a little bit, know that you have an issue that you need to work on until it is corrected.

Again, think of any movement being magnified by 10 on your 308.