• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report slowly getting better…still a long way to go

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
I just wanted to thank everyone who was kind enough to help me along the way. i understand it must be challenging answering my inexperienced questions but i sure appreciate all the time, helpful hints and tutorials.

These were all shot at 100 yards, prone with a rear bag and bipod. Working on optimizing hand loads and more importantly technique. Wind was pretty mild, maybe 4mph with occasional stronger gusts.

(the lowermost red circle target was a cold bore shot). I've got to keep working at it and slowly increasing distance and of course trying to gain a measure of facility with wind. i'll never be a competitor but i'd sure like to keep learning.

20200902_120027.jpg

Reactions: XLR308
Thanks.

The rifle is a Sig SSG3000. I replaced the original .308 barrel with a Benchmark Barrel in 6.5x47L. I just couldn't tolerate the recoil of the .308 even with a muzzle brake.

The rifle design is such that one can easily change barrels with only a hex key as the barrels are fit on a extension, somewhat similar to that of an AR for example.

These were all handholds, Lapua brass and Lapua 123gn Scenar projectiles and Varget smokeless powder. I'm using a first generation Athlon Ares BTR riflescope.

I think the Porter expander die also contributed significantly. I use an old beam balance and a single stage reloader so it's pretty slow going but i don't shoot a lot of rounds at a time.

Hell of a combo, great rifle and great cartridge.
I really like my 6.5x47 more and more every time I shoot it.
I am also mainly shooting 123 grain bullets for practice rounds but I'm using the Nosler CC.
What powder and what kind of velocities are you running them at ?
Mine seems to like to run in the 3000fps range with that weight.

thank you for the kind words. i don't have a chronograph so i'm not sure what velocities i'm getting. I hope to one day borrow a friend's.

i know most who compete in PRS don't tend to focus or need to focus on getting little groups
.... unfortunately from a physical handicap i'll never be competitive in the sport.... i'm satisfied with trying to get small consistent groups and maybe learning more about shooting longer distances and the effects of wind etc.

I'm using Varget. I tried H4350 and one of the VV powders (can't recall which right now) but never managed to get the type of groups i was hoping for, not sure why. With Varget i believe i've identified two nodes (at least from the quality of groups i'm seeing on paper)...one at 35.5-35.6 gn and another at 37.1gn. The rifle seems to prefer a rather long bullet jump.

I am enjoying this caliber more and more, very forgiving. Wish it was easier to find commercially. I purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for the rifle as i had hoped to take a couple of classes and being able to purchase the ammunition at a shop might come in handy especially if i have to travel. That said, I'm definitely not giving up on the 6.5x47L. One of the members of this forum recommended it to me and i'm very glad he did.

XLR308, what rifle and loads are you using? 3000fps sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Thats awesome!

Got a lot of respect for SSGs seeing them handed out to novices at Sig classes and crushing targets.

Looks like you are ready to move from the shooting pages on to the Bear Pit now........never mind.

thank you for the kind words. i don't have a chronograph so i'm not sure what velocities i'm getting. I hope to one day borrow a friend's.

i know most who compete in PRS don't tend to focus or need to focus on getting little groups
.... unfortunately from a physical handicap i'll never be competitive in the sport.... i'm satisfied with trying to get small consistent groups and maybe learning more about shooting longer distances and the effects of wind etc.

I'm using Varget. I tried H4350 and one of the VV powders (can't recall which right now) but never managed to get the type of groups i was hoping for, not sure why. With Varget i believe i've identified two nodes (at least from the quality of groups i'm seeing on paper)...one at 35.5-35.6 gn and another at 37.1gn. The rifle seems to prefer a rather long bullet jump.

I am enjoying this caliber more and more, very forgiving. Wish it was easier to find commercially. I purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for the rifle as i had hoped to take a couple of classes and being able to purchase the ammunition at a shop might come in handy especially if i have to travel. That said, I'm definitely not giving up on the 6.5x47L. One of the members of this forum recommended it to me and i'm very glad he did.

XLR308, what rifle and loads are you using? 3000fps sounds awesome.

The rifle is a Kelbly Atlas Tac action In an XLR Carbon chassis, the barrel is a Schnieder P5 1-8" twist medium Palma finished at 24".
I actually bought everything except the trigger and brake from members here.
As far as powder of course I have primarily used Varget but I like it better with the 130 Hybrids and HVLD than I do with the 123CC.
With the CC I tried two or three powders that there wasn't any info to be found using and now I'm settled on AR-COMP with the 123CC.
It showed the least amount of verticle dispersion on a ten shot ladder test.

Last edited:
Your shooting results look good. Keep it up, you are definitely getting the hang of things. 👍🏻

thank you all....learning a lot. truly do appreciate the help

If you still have some of the H4350 you may have better results by jumping up into the heavier bullets in the 140 grain weights.
But looks like you are pretty dialed in with the Scenars, don't be a stranger and jump back in here more often.

thank you.

i think we might see some labor day sales, i'll pick some up to try....

Awesome man. This is what this forum is really about. Making marksmen.

Dthomas3823....you were definitely one of the ones responsible for helping me..... a lot

I still have a long, long way to go...... but enjoying the journey/education

i understood...appreciate it...just making light
i learn a lot from your posts as well. thank you

Dthomas3823....you were definitely one of the ones responsible for helping me..... a lot

I still have a long, long way to go...... but enjoying the journey/education

We all have a long way to go, the day you stop learning is the day you stop breathing.
I'm still a newb but perfectly happy with that since I'm still breathing 😉

Reactions: AllenOne1
thanks, i appreciate the kind words...i really do.

...as a result of injury it has become difficult for me to lift heavy weight for any length of time, tough to maneuver, twist, bend and stand for longer periods, it incurs a lot of pain. I wouldn't be able to change a bunch of positions in the requisite timed fashion. it doesn't mean i won't play and practice, i really enjoy the sport...i've come to appreciate that i won't be able to compete, it's too dynamic of a sport.