• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Slug gun glass...?

Wardy

"Gordy"
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
North Eastern NC
If you guys were gonna scope a Slug Gun, what glass would you go with? I'm a pretty big fan of magnification and was looking at a Sightron S1 2.5-10... But, I don't know...also looked at a 3-9x40 but I just can't commit on either....anyone got any suggestions that might sway my decision?
Can't say I really have a Definate budget gut hate to spend over $300-$400 on said optics...
Thanks guys...

Re: Slug gun glass...?

I have a Nikon Slug Hunter on mine and it is nice.

I chose a Leupold 2-7 power. Probably less magnification than you're used to but no problems after years of heavy abuse. My logic was it's a slug gun so 200 yards would be a long shot and I hunt heavy cover so less was more in my case.

been eyeballing the Leupy's and a Burris 2-7...lots of truth in what you said El Shavewa and the whole reason for me getting the gun was for heavy cover/woods hunting so it prolly more than enough.

I ran a nikon protaff 3-9x40 on it then switched to a leupy vx-1 3-9x40. Both of these scopes have held up good. This is on a H&R 12 gauge. Just make sure you get a good set of rings on it too.

I went through two Nikon Slug scopes and they never lasted for me. VXIII 2.5x8 with M1 knobs is what I run and never looked back. Low enough magnification for those 10 yd cruising shots to the 200 yard pokes in crop fields. Excellent light gathering also for a hunting rig.

I have a leupold rifleman 3x9x40 on mine and have had no problems. I have actually shot skeet with it as well. Price was right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Shavewa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose a Leupold 2-7 power. Probably less magnification than you're used to but no problems after years of heavy abuse. My logic was it's a slug gun so 200 yards would be a long shot and I hunt heavy cover so less was more in my case.
</div></div>
+1
Whole time I was reading the OP's original post I was thinking the Leupy 2-7.

I run a Leupold vxii 2-7x33 with heavy duplex reticle, and for the most part I like it. Sometimes I find myself wanting a 1-4 or even better a 1-6 on my slug gun though...

Running a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 on mine. LOVE IT!!!