• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CHEYTAC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2005
NC
Anyone have any time with a prohunter slug gun in 12 or 20 gauge. Accuracy ?????

Re: SLUG GUNS

Pro hunters are supposed to be fairly accurate, I know they have nice triggers.

I use a H/R Ultra Slugger in 20 ga, I haven't had good luck with accuracy. I had H/R redo the trigger, hopefully I will be able to shoot it better. I am forced to hunt with shot gun here. I hate shotguns, I would rather hunt with a .22.

-dan

Ive shot one several times and they shoot fairly good. The one we shot did 2" groups at 100yds with Hornadys polmer tip slug. The barrel on the prohunter is very thin. I think theres better options though out there. The HR's shoot very well and are priced to sell. My personal favorite is the Model 210 Savage ive got. It will shoot the winchester partition gold slugts around 1.5" at 100yds and killed a doe at 167 yards with it. My freind thats got the same exact setup scope and all killed a doe at 236 yards last year with his. The savages are very accurate, all it needs is a little trigger tweaking and bedding and it should shoot very, very well. If your lookin for a 20ga Savage came out with a model 220 thats just like the 210 except it has a accu-trigger. Mcmillan also makes a stock for the savage as well.

Cheytac
I have an H&R Ultra Slug and have been able to touch the holes from a box on a few occasions. I will be doing some slug testing this year to see if I can push it to 200. I did take a shot at 184 with it a few year back and cleaned the legs off of a yearling. I didn't take range into consideration since I was trying to get a shot off quickly after I shot her mother and other sister a few seconds earlier.

Deer
Have you tried the Lightfield sabots out of it yet?

What do ya'll think about a TAR-HUNT slug gun

Savage makes that bolt action slugger and it rocks! I bought one a few years ago and really like it. Well as much as one can for a lead sled that is. 1.5 inch groups. I have shot a 1 inch group b4 but well it didnt happen again.

Tar hunt guns are good slug guns. However theyre VERY expensive. They get their good accuracy from Lightfield slugs which balistically are not that good for 200yard shots. I watch this stuff closley because im from Illinois were all we can use is muzzleloaders, pistols and slug guns for the firearms seasons. Back in the day they tested the 700.00 Browning bolt action, Marlin and Savage 210. The Savage out shot them all and was half the price of the Browning. Id say get the Savage and find a slug that shoots good in it.

Savage just announced the 220. A completely different design. It's built on the 110 receiver, and is a true rifle, in 20ga. 2rd detachable. AccuTrigger.

My next slug gun.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheytac
I have an H&R Ultra Slug and have been able to touch the holes from a box on a few occasions. I will be doing some slug testing this year to see if I can push it to 200. I did take a shot at 184 with it a few year back and cleaned the legs off of a yearling. I didn't take range into consideration since I was trying to get a shot off quickly after I shot her mother and other sister a few seconds earlier.

Deer
Have you tried the Lightfield sabots out of it yet? </div></div>

I haven't tried the lightfields, yet, but I will. I have just been using the hornady polymer tips. I have heard that they don't go well with the H/R's twist rate. I haven't done any accuracy tests since I got the trigger done. But I did sight it in after work yesterday and I set up a target at 170. I hit 3" to the right of where I was aiming, which I think isn't that bad. My other 20 ga is a 1187 with a remington cantilever barrel and aimpoint. My buddy and I shot 3 deer yesterday, he got 2 with the 1187 and i got one running at 120 yards.

-dan

220 is built on the 110 action! I cant wait to see what kind of accuracy they can get out of those!

Honestly, I don't know, but my 10's and 110's are good enough to compete with at 1000yd F Class and did pretty well for me at 1Km. Savage seems to think it's safe to say it's a good one, and I've never heard them tell me untruths. Beyond that, all I know is what you know.

Greg