• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small base .223 sizing die.

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I am in the market for a set of .223 dies for my AR and am thinking of getting a small base sizer. Any thoughts on this?

Re: Small base .223 sizing die.

Bought my first AR in '78. I have four sets of .223 dies. Never needed a SB sizer.

I have needed a SB die for brass that was run through MG's. For any other application, I have never needed it.

I've had returning issues with all of my AR's at random untill I switched to the small base die. Not a single hiccup since with 4 matches shot (last weekend took a 2nd place finish). Probably 400 rounds total.

I've always used the standard Lee brand dies for my AR (DPMS in .223). I've fired around 400-500 reloads through it without incident. YMMV.

md,

The regular Dillon dies are very tight and will also let you adjust the headspace.

HTH,
DocB

Thanks,

Having very little experience loading for AR's, I wondered if a SB die would help to improve reliability. I have seen guys accept jams in a 223 AR because they were "reloads".

I do not want to have cycling issues.

I neck-only size my AR15 brass most of the time, only using the body die as needed to push the sholder back and reduce the base girth.

Its been several thousand rounds since the last hickup.

I use a Redding small base sizing die for all of my AR15 reloads. I purchase large lots of once fired LC brass. After switching to the SB die I have had zero jams. YMMV

If you don't have one, get a Wilson case gage in .223, will save you a lot of grief. Checking every round with it will go a long way to eliminating function problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the market for a set of .223 dies for my AR and am thinking of getting a small base sizer. Any thoughts on this? </div></div>

It depends on the chamber of your AR. If you have a 5.56NATO or a Wylde chamber, regular dies will work just fine. I've handloaded for AR-15s for years with Redding FL size with never an issue.

If you have a tight match chamber, then you might want to consider an S/B die; I use a Redding S/B S bushing die for my match AR-15.

Never just neck size, especially for an AR, always full-length resize; the rifle will function better and the ammo will be more uniform over time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do not want to have cycling issues. </div></div>
Unless the Loads are way off or not done properly this shouldn't be an issue(well that is if your powder charges are safe and not wrecking your brass while at the same time having extraction issues because of it).

Ive cycled a good many different powders and bullets from 35gr to 75gr magfed with no issues.
Ive fired 1000's of rounds(reloads) through 2 AR's(both dpms) using a lee collet die and 2 FL dies and the only malfunctions ive had were from some cases not trimed properly(oops),and an extractor spring go bad.
Ive never needed a small base die even with my brass that was fired through a machine gun.I'm NOT arguing that point though and could understand why one would use one(Some of my brass I tossed out because of excessive head expansion).
Usually if your brass is that far out(this is just my ignorant oppinion)I would think your primers would be getting loose as well(time to consider maybe junking the brass ).

Cycling issues are almost always something simple,stupid like a worn spring,extractor or bad mag.Not do to reloads unless they are way out of spec,as in nowere near a normal/proper reload.

BTW,,If you have a Normal chamber, Just get a Lee Pacesetter FL die set and be done with it
smile.gif
Lee makes the best dies to start with IMO,and they don't seem to be hurting the accuracy in my rifle any so I havn't needed anything better even though I'm into the thousands of reloads on those dies
grin.gif
Special chamber would require special dies(like mentioned).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on the chamber of your AR. If you have a 5.56NATO ..... </div></div>

Thats what I have. About 15 rounds down the tube and I want to work up some loads for deer hunting. Every thing will be loaded mag length. I found a few primers and got some 75 Amax but need a set of dies. Started looking and saw the SB option so I decided to ask.

I perticular about my reloads and don't run them hot to save brass and barrels. The goal with this project is to have a reliable rifle that is accurate enough. I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and will need low recoil for awhile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on the chamber of your AR. If you have a 5.56NATO ..... </div></div>

Thats what I have. About 15 rounds down the tube and I want to work up some loads for deer hunting. Every thing will be loaded mag length. I found a few primers and got some 75 Amax but need a set of dies. Started looking and saw the SB option so I decided to ask.

I perticular about my reloads and don't run them hot to save brass and barrels. The goal with this project is to have a reliable rifle that is accurate enough. I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and will need low recoil for awhile. </div></div>
75gr A-max are not the best for mag feeding AT ALL IMO.
They seat way to deep in the neck to get them to mag length and because of the shape of the ogive there isn't a lot to grab the bullet and they would probably suffer bullet setback.

The hornady 75gr BTHP is the ticket for magfeeding as well as the 77gr SMK,and other magfed type 77gr bullets.

Yes - I think your advice on the bullets is good. Right now it is all the store had and I figured that it would work in the short term. I'll watch for one of the other bullets you have recommended, they should work for deer hunting.