• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small base die set or full length or neck sizer for AR type rifles?

svxwilson

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Montana
    Is there a advantage or disadvantage to using the different types of resizing dies on a AR type platform (neck sizer, small base, and full length). I only have one rifle in each caliber 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, and 308. It was my understanding that if you are shooting the brass out of the same chamber you only need to neck size them, especially for accuracy.

I have been hearing people mention that full length and small base die sets are better for AR platform rifles. I am looking for the reasons behind this. It will be a long time before I duplicate any of those calibers ( having more that one upper in a given caliber) I spent a lot acquiring them.

Looking forward to the info the community has!

I never use small base dies on any autos I load for, I use regular FL Redding 223 dies for my son's RR Carbine, absolutely no problems after 2K rounds. I wouldnt mess around with bushing dies unless it was for target comps.

I use regular FL dies, never a problem. Went through over 3k rounds in the last year in a 308 AR without any failures, all sized with a regular FL sizer. I bought some small base dies for my 300 Blackout recently because they were the only kind I could find, small base or regular, either way works.

I would use a FL sizer of some kind, I tried neck sizing only for my AR's and ran into problems going to battery after 1 firing.

Last edited:
    I say buy whatever you can get your hands on. 223 dies are hard to come buy right now, I should have bought them long ago. I can't find them anywhere now.

I've been using the same set of LEE full length die's for about 25 year's now.
    No problem's at all.

All things being equal, and depending on your specific application...there is nothing wrong with small base dies in an AR. Full length should be mostly okay, but I would definitely not neck size for an AR. The small base dies were developed primarily for the semi-auto, same as the neck size die is used primarily in bolt guns. As you might expect, not everybody agrees. My opinion is the small base die is a good idea, won't hurt, might help. Again, you can forget neck sizing an AR. BB

If you are buying your first set of dies, then I would buy a S/B set just to have. They don't cost any more than a regular set. I have reloaded for my AR-15's since the early 1970's, I've used both types for many years.

If you already own a set of regular F/L .223 Rem. dies, it's been my experience you don't necessarily need small base dies for an AR-15, regular F/L dies work.

When setting up your F/L die, use a gauge to insure you're sizing the shoulder back enough to insure easy chambering. Most issues are from not setting up the sizing die properly.

Never neck only for a gas gun.

svxwilson,

Small base will not only not cause you any problems, but they'll help you avoid some you may not even be award of. Never a problem in using these for ARs or other gas guns. Standard F/L dies will work in 95% of the gun/ammo combinations you'll run into, but the S/B dies just give you a bit more added insurance. Whichever ones you choose, do yourself a HUGE favor and get yourself a case gage like a Wilson, a Redding Instant Indicator, or an RCBS Precision Mic. Use this when you initially set your dies up, and frequently during the resizing process to verify the correct amount of shoulder set-back. You want at least .003"-.005" for gas guns, NOT the .001" you'd normally use for a bolt gun. Do this, and your a lot less likely to ever have ammo issues of any sort with the ARs.

As far as the N/S dies, avoid them like the plague they are where ARs are concerned; they're pure death for functional reliability in gas guns, and can easily present a safety hazard as well. Neck sizing is something that has absolutely no place, none, zero, zilch, as far as reloading for gas guns goes. They're a guaranteed source of some major headaches and other serious problems you'd do well to avoid. Anyone who tells you otherwise, hasn't loaded enough for gas guns to know what the hell they're talking about.

svxwilson,

Small base will not only not cause you any problems, but they'll help you avoid some you may not even be award of. Never a problem in using these for ARs or other gas guns. Standard F/L dies will work in 95% of the gun/ammo combinations you'll run into, but the S/B dies just give you a bit more added insurance. Whichever ones you choose, do yourself a HUGE favor and get yourself a case gage like a Wilson, a Redding Instant Indicator, or an RCBS Precision Mic. Use this when you initially set your dies up, and frequently during the resizing process to verify the correct amount of shoulder set-back. You want at least .003"-.005" for gas guns, NOT the .001" you'd normally use for a bolt gun. Do this, and your a lot less likely to ever have ammo issues of any sort with the ARs.

As far as the N/S dies, avoid them like the plague they are where ARs are concerned; they're pure death for functional reliability in gas guns, and can easily present a safety hazard as well. Neck sizing is something that has absolutely no place, none, zero, zilch, as far as reloading for gas guns goes. They're a guaranteed source of some major headaches and other serious problems you'd do well to avoid. Anyone who tells you otherwise, hasn't loaded enough for gas guns to know what the hell they're talking about.

Awesome. Thanks for this legit informative post. Right On!

As far as AR type rifles go, Id imagine the manufacturers dont ever use "tight' chamber specs, I mean why would they, these rifles are often used in combat, SWAT, Tactical comps, etc. So, normal FL dies work everytime.

Even when the builder is assembling a dedicated competitive Match rifle, "tight" and "AR's" just don't play well together. The thing to remember here, is that things that work really well in building or reloading for BenchRest rifles, or even more conventional bolt guns, aren't always the way to go when dealing with ARs or other gas guns. They're different animals entirely, and the HAVE to be treated completely differently. Techniques which are beneficial in those guns are usually useless (and sometimes downright dangerous) when performed on or with a Service Rifle. They operate by an entirely different set of rules, and we need to abide by those to keep them happy.

The only time I have ever neck sized only for my AR's is when I single load on the 600 other wise I use a FL sizer and have used a small base sizer but decided it wasn't need and caused extra trimming

Last edited: