• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes small bubbles on vortex viper

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Out here in phx it could get super dusty, So the other day I cleaned my 6.5-20 vortex viper with unscented cloth and acetone as recommended. After cleaning it the lenes on both the eyepiece and the objective have little bubbles on them , at least 5-10 small ones on both. they are definitely not scratches or anything like but literally look like little bubbles. you can see them when you look at the lenses from the side very clearly. When looking through the scope in daylight there are no apparent blemishes at all. when you look through it in really low light you start seeing the artifacts slightly. what could they be?

Re: small bubbles on vortex viper

You sure you are supposed to use acetone and not alcohol?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You sure you are supposed to use acetone and not alcohol?</div></div>
    yes, I specifically looked through all of snipershide to finally find the exact recommendation vortex made and it was acetone!

I think you misunderstood - people on the 'Hide used acetone to remove the <span style="text-decoration: underline">paint</span> from the metal body of the scope. Acetone <span style="text-decoration: underline">may</span> be harmless to the coating (though when taking care of a research microscope in the Lab they explicitly warned against using acetone) - it depends on the specific coating and the manufacturer - but more likely than not would dissolve the glue (and let me smear around).

Please point out the exact thread/post where Vortex provided a cleaning recommendation to use acetone - I'd like to see it myself.

Not being an optician, I don't know whether you've done damage to the optics, and to what extent. I would call Vortex and ask them.

Here's their recommended cleaning procedure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you misunderstood - people on the 'Hide used acetone to remove the <span style="text-decoration: underline">paint</span> from the metal body of the scope. Acetone <span style="text-decoration: underline">may</span> be harmless to the coating (though when taking care of a research microscope in the Lab they explicitly warned against using acetone) - it depends on the specific coating and the manufacturer - but more likely than not would dissolve the glue (and let me smear around).

Please point out the exact thread/post where Vortex provided a cleaning recommendation to use acetone - I'd like to see it myself.

Not being an optician, I don't know whether you've done damage to the optics, and to what extent. I would call Vortex and ask them.

Here's their recommended cleaning procedure.</div></div>

thanks for the input. Like I said though, I did extensive digging to finally find what to use without damaging it. Also to be clear,they were there before cleaning, the cleaning made it stand out... before they just blended in with the bit of dust but u ca tell the difference between them and the dust because they r slightly bigger. here is the thread where I found scotts approval, there was another somewhere else where the person called and asked vortex and they recommended acetone.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2025252

I would still recommend calling Vortex. They don't advertise the bubble's, so I doubt they are supposed to be there...

1) Call Vortex (they will get you square)
    2) Please find that post. Would love to read it. I think USO has said to use Acetone, not sure on Vortex
    3) Call Vortex (they will get you square)

Yes do call Vortex. Something obviously is wrong.

And thanks for digging out that thread - where Scott from Vortex (on 2010-09-03) confirms that acetone should be OK for Vortex glass (I'd still be careful with it, but hearing Vortex opinion supporting acetone use is reassuring).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out here in phx it could get super dusty, So the other day I cleaned my 6.5-20 vortex viper with unscented cloth and acetone as recommended. After cleaning it the lenes on both the eyepiece and the objective have little bubbles on them , at least 5-10 small ones on both. they are definitely not scratches or anything like but literally look like little bubbles. you can see them when you look at the lenses from the side very clearly. When looking through the scope in daylight there are no apparent blemishes at all. when you look through it in really low light you start seeing the artifacts slightly. what could they be?

Also I compared it to my friends PST the other day and noticed another thing. Up to 14x both our scopes are very clear, but last 14 my scope starts to look more washed out and milky while his remains clear. Could this have to do with the bubbles as well? </div></div>

First sorry to hear about the bubbles issue. As others have said call Vortex and they will take care of you. I've had a 6-24x50 PST since March and just ordered two 6-20x44 Vipers. I'll do a side by side soon and see if it's a result of your bubbles or just a difference in glass quality (PST vs Viper).

Lastly, thanks for digging up that acetone post reference. I will admit that I was a touch skeptical. I've always use 90% rubbing alcohol (iso-propyl) to clean mine. Acteone is a stronger solvent than IPA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out here in phx it could get super dusty, So the other day I cleaned my 6.5-20 vortex viper with unscented cloth and acetone as recommended. After cleaning it the lenes on both the eyepiece and the objective have little bubbles on them , at least 5-10 small ones on both. they are definitely not scratches or anything like but literally look like little bubbles. you can see them when you look at the lenses from the side very clearly. When looking through the scope in daylight there are no apparent blemishes at all. when you look through it in really low light you start seeing the artifacts slightly. what could they be?

Also I compared it to my friends PST the other day and noticed another thing. Up to 14x both our scopes are very clear, but last 14 my scope starts to look more washed out and milky while his remains clear. Could this have to do with the bubbles as well? </div></div>

First sorry to hear about the bubbles issue. As others have said call Vortex and they will take care of you. I've had a 6-24x50 PST since March and just ordered two 6-20x44 Vipers. I'll do a side by side soon and see if it's a result of your bubbles or just a difference in glass quality (PST vs Viper).
    </div></div>

I've been on vacation this week spending every day at the range. I too have noticed that above 14x my new 6-20x50 Viper takes on a milky white hue where my PST stays crystal clear. I have two more 6-20x Vipers on order, but won't get them until sometime in October. I'm curious to see if they have the same issue. Based on this small sample set I'm willing to suspect that it might be a difference in glass quality and coatings used in the Viper and PST models. I don't think it has anything to do with your bubble issue.

I've also noticed with my new Viper that at the outer edge the stadia are curved (lens defect?). All of my other Vipers, Crossfires, and PST are dead nutz straight. At first I thought it was due to being at the extreme end of the elevation adjustment (mounted on a 20 MOA base). I thought the scope came adjusted near the lower end of it's travel based on the turret markings. However, I just verified that the scope is within 8MOA of vertical and horizontal center (26MOA from low end to 200yd zero). I'll have to drop Vortex an email and see what they have to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out here in phx it could get super dusty, So the other day I cleaned my 6.5-20 vortex viper with unscented cloth and acetone as recommended. After cleaning it the lenes on both the eyepiece and the objective have little bubbles on them , at least 5-10 small ones on both. they are definitely not scratches or anything like but literally look like little bubbles. you can see them when you look at the lenses from the side very clearly. When looking through the scope in daylight there are no apparent blemishes at all. when you look through it in really low light you start seeing the artifacts slightly. what could they be?

</div></div>

I've been on vacation this week spending every day at the range. <span style="font-weight: bold">I too have noticed that above 14x my new 6-20x50 Viper takes on a milky white hue where my PST stays crystal clear. </span> I have two more 6-20x Vipers on order, but won't get them until sometime in October. I'm curious to see if they have the same issue. Based on this small sample set I'm willing to suspect that it might be a difference in glass quality and coatings used in the Viper and PST models. I don't think it has anything to do with your bubble issue.

I've also noticed with my new Viper that at the outer edge the stadia are curved (lens defect?). All of my other Vipers, Crossfires, and PST are dead nutz straight. At first I thought it was due to being at the extreme end of the elevation adjustment (mounted on a 20 MOA base). I thought the scope came adjusted near the lower end of it's travel based on the turret markings. However, I just verified that the scope is within 8MOA of vertical and horizontal center (26MOA from low end to 200yd zero). I'll have to drop Vortex an email and see what they have to say. </div></div>

I ran a Viper prior to the PST I have now. The Viper is no comparison glass-wise to the PST. Above 16ish power, the Viper was not clear, unlike the PST which is clear all the way to 24x. I wouldn't call it "milky" but, the clarity drops off noticeably. Mechanically the Viper, as is the PST, was always spot on, which is most important to me.

Yea I think the clarity just boils down to the difference between a 500 and 900 dollar scope. I can't really complain about it though, it's noticeable at target shooting, but when shooting out in the real world, up to 1050 yards I had no problem using the 20x the entire time...
    Anyways I should be getting my scope back from vortex today, and I'm sure they took care of the lens bubbles.

UPDATE: I received the scope back today. Lenses are crystal clear and entire scope looks brand new. On the report they said they cleaned it out inside and out and adjusted everything to spec. So now it seems really good. It was a pain free warranty process and another +1 for vortex.

So I went to the range today and its like brand new. But there's one thing that they messed up on, they put the windage turrets on the elevation and the elevation in the windage!!!! Looks like I'm gonna have to give them a call them this week.,
    Kinda disappointed about that, don't want to pay shipping again, wait a week, spend time remounting and lining it up and then waste ammo sighting it in all over again.

Can't you swap the turret caps around or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Umm, which side do you have the "elevation" on?</div></div>
    No i did not position my scope wrong. I have a parallax adjuster,which is on the left side, so it would be quite difficult to screw up the position of the scope
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just checkin'!</div></div>
    Hey I hear you, we have all made dumb simple mistakes, I just sure this time it's not my mistake but that the turrets are actually on wrong...

That is odd. I use acetone to clean the lens on my Accupoint, Aimpoint, and NF scopes with no problem. In fact acetone is really the only solvent that works as frequently the smudge on the coating is in fact gun oil which will not come off well with methanol (I have tried).

I wonder if the problem here is the coating Vortex use on their Viper optics is susceptible to acetone? Too bad Vortex did not tell you why you had a problem. I would say for the time being both Viper and PST users beware.

When I called they said there was nothing wrong with using acetone, I had full disclosure eith them exactly what I did. I suspect the bubbles were dirt from the inside because the paperwork came back saying they cleaned the scope inside and out.

Time to call them again,but this time about the turrets mistake.

Doh! They are already closed for the day, I hate how half the numbers I need to call are always in a different time zone

Thanks! Glad things turned out OK for your problem. Hope they fix the turrets right this time.

I'm watching this thread as I was ready to order one of these scopes, but bubbles, turrets, and " I too have noticed that above 14x my new 6-20x50 Viper takes on a milky white hue" have me glad that I haven't yet done so. I hope that your scope comes back fixed at no further expense to you, and clear all the way to 20X. Regards

Talked to vortex today, as always they were great. The lady on the phone fwas super nice and was very embarrassed that their techs made a goof like that. She apologized repeatedly and was willing to do anything to make it right. She offered overnight shipping them and back all paid by them. She also gave me instructions on how to do it mysel,and if I mess anything up they will replace it no questions asked. . I think I will just do it myself because I really don't want to spend another hour remounting it correctly and uncanted, and then waste time/bullets rezeroing.

Either way, I was very happy with their attitude, and even though I probably won't be taking them up on their offer, it's always nice to know that your dealing with a company that will not spare any expense to take responsibility and make things right,

Lastly, to address any last doubts of the glass. The milky whiteness was probably part of the bubble issue, because its clear now. I don't have a PST to compare it to right now, and maybe that why it seems crystal clear, but that is really just a sign of one thing..... $900 glass is obviously gonna be more c,ear than $500 dollar glass. I do remember comparing my glass to a night force a month or two ago. It was only for about 5 seconds each, at max magnification, a nd at a 1050 yard target I could not tell the difference in glass quality. That's not to say it's as good as a 1500 dollar scope glass, but it was obviously not a big enough difference for my young eyes to see in 5 seconds of comparing, at 1050 yard target. So anyone thinking of the vortex viper, be confident that you are getting great glass for the money and world class service to back it up.