• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

small gouge on chamber of new barrel. Cosmetic, or genuine issue

wisey113

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2014
Denver, CO
I recently picked up a Proof Stainless prefit barrel for my AXSR. Fitted it a few days ago, and just noticed a small gouge in the chamber area. The barrel has not seen any use yet. Is this something to be concerned about, or is it just a small cosmetic issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• barrel nick.jpg
    barrel nick.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 253
Are you talking about the small mar at the 6 o'clock position? I doubt it'll affect performance at all, since it's outside of the chamber, won't contact the cartridge, and doesn't (or shouldn't) have bolt contact at all. But whoever spun it up for you will have a better answer than most here. Contact the smith first, if you're really worried about it. Otherwise, go shoot the thing and let your results on target speak for themselves.

Reactions: L2bravo
I'm not a gunsmith. If it was mine I would take the barrel out, stone it down with a very fine grit radius stone in the chamfer and flat stone on the tennon face, clean it and call it good.

I'm not a gunsmith. If it was mine I would take the barrel out, stone it down with a very fine grit radius stone in the chamfer and flat stone on the tennon face, clean it and call it good.
I think there's a lot of risk in something like that, for what gain? He hasn't shot it yet, or at least hasn't said so, and hasn't contacted the smith to make a determination. If I was the gunsmith who did the work, I'd be willing to reface the tenon if necessary, as a good faith gesture, but not if the customer had gone at it with a tool of any sort, at that point I'd want it back to check the whole geometry. In my line of work (not gunsmithing) I fix my own mistakes for free, but if the customer messes something up after I hand it off, I'm billing for it.

OP, do what you want, but my recommendation is still to ask your gunsmith before doing anything other than just shooting the thing.

I think there's a lot of risk in something like that, for what gain? He hasn't shot it yet, or at least hasn't said so, and hasn't contacted the smith to make a determination. If I was the gunsmith who did the work, I'd be willing to reface the tenon if necessary, as a good faith gesture, but not if the customer had gone at it with a tool of any sort, at that point I'd want it back to check the whole geometry. In my line of work (not gunsmithing) I fix my own mistakes for free, but if the customer messes something up after I hand it off, I'm billing for it.

OP, do what you want, but my recommendation is still to ask your gunsmith before doing anything other than just shooting the thing.
Your way would be free and safe. From my machining & manufacturing background this is a DIY thing that I would just tackle because I don’t see much hazard with stresses or dimensions but it wouldn’t hurt to shoot a quick message over. Your way is the safer move.

Reactions: ArTeeKay
If it chambers a round easily and leaves no mark well shoot a round..... If it leaves no mark on the fired case, well I would say GTG.
Cheers
Pete

That teency mark on the OUTSIDE of the chamber? Seriously?

How could that possibly effect anything? At most it touches the rim of the cartridge...

Or, am I looking at the wrong thing?