• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Small hog taking 4 to the head?

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
Granted i was using a .22
But i placed the 1st shot with the hog quartered away from me, right behind the ear, into the head.
The hog started charging the cage blood spewing out, so i shot it again. Rolled onto the ground kicking and trying to get up.
I felt kind of bad so i shot it again in the side of the head.
Still it wasnt going down so i shot it again in the side of the head, still kicking, this time out of reflexes.
Ive heard that behind the head is an instant kill, and we didnt want to use a high caliber weapon on this small sow, in a cage.
The hog was shot at point blank range basically.
Is this normal, or should a 22 take em out just as good at this range?
hog.jpg

22.jpg

Yes the bipod is jerry rigged on, but it was the only viable option. Used as the stray cat killer

Re: Small hog taking 4 to the head?

Judging by where the majority of the blood is I'm betting your initial shots went under the brain. A pigs brain sits pretty high in the head. When I worked for a meat processor for a short time we used a 22 pistol for everything from hogs to beef.

Put the shot directly in the ear canal, straight from the side.
Or if looking directly down on them, imaging an x dissecting their head from the center of the ears to the center of the eyes. Shoot the center of x.
Both shots should produce boom flops. Even with a .22.

hm.
I guess the first shot could have gone under the brain a little.
But, i was told to put it behind the ear quartered away, Next time ill try and go into the ear canal, level so it goes in 1 ear and out the other

When I used to help my uncle process his pigs, I used a .22 and shot them all right in the middle of the forehead just above the center of the eyes when they were looking at me. DRT..

I would just whistle at them or make some quick noises to get them to look at me just long enough to get a round off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I used to help my uncle process his pigs, I used a .22 and shot them all right in the middle of the forehead just above the center of the eyes when they were looking at me. DRT.. </div></div>

That works!!!!! I used my .45 XD but like Fv2 said DRT!!

NOmag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I used to help my uncle process his pigs, I used a .22 and shot them all right in the middle of the forehead just above the center of the eyes when they were looking at me. DRT.. </div></div>

That works!!!!! I used my .45 XD but like Fv2 said DRT!!

NOmag </div></div>

Ive got a .40 XD, but the cage is barred pretty heavily, and its difficult to aim/shoot with a pistol without hitting a bar, since the top is caged as well

You just didn't get a good placement...there brains are relatively small and set high in their skull if your quartering away or on the side go through or just behind the ear and it should do the trick.