• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Small light to see turret adjustments?

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    Anyone know of a small light that can be mounted in a way (possibly on the scope tube) to see turret adjustments in a low light situation. I was hunting yesterday evening and ranged a couple nice bucks 300-400yds and I went to adjust my elevation turret, but could barley see the numbers/lines. Yeah I know I could use a small flashlight, but I am talking just enough light (preferably red) to see the numbers/lines...... @Tyler Kemp maybe this could be a new product?

Thanks, yea I saw those not quite what I am looking for. I have my scope mounted in a SPUHR mount anyways not willing to give that up for those rings.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Couldn’t you have just used your reticle? Or dial your scope to your optimum point blank range when you get on your stand?
    Yes I could do all of the above, and I do that when shooting steel, but for me when shooting an animal I want to be as accurate as possible if I am going to take a long shot and I feel dialing for the exact range the animal is at is the most accurate method.

This buck agrees.......we got some fields where we can take 1000+yds shots if we wanted. My personal limit for myself is about 600yds.
    1599418995454.jpeg

Last edited:
    Yes I could do all of the above, and I do that when shooting steel, but for me when shooting an animal I want to be as accurate as possible if I am going to take a long shot and I feel dialing for the exact range the animal is at is the most accurate method.
    I can appreciate that... Yea you can have that little PrincetonTec light on your mount, and get a headlamp with a red lens option. Have both in your pack/on you so you have multiple options in case you forget one.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    IDK..Have you tried "Luminous" paint? Maybe paint a small patch about 1/4" wide square taped over with some clear tape so it doesn't get wiped off on top of your scope tube behind the turret to illuminate your numbers/hash-marks? Just a cheap idea that wouldn't cost you much, can be easily reapplied and no batteries.

little dab of luminescent paint and count clicks from there?

We used phosphorescent/glow in the dark markers of different colors. With 3-4 different colors and color code your distances, you can mark your turret like a BDC and not dick up the factory turret markings. It's low signature, has to be charged when needed and can be easily covered when not needed.

Tritium vials and holders are available in a wide variety of colors, sizes and shapes.

I was going to say the luminescent / phosphorescent paint, just paint your hash marks and numbers and call it done.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a turret that contains tritium lamps out there. I would have thought somebody would have jumped on that by now

Did Trijicon make a scope with tritium lamps in the turrets? I know I saw some scope turret with a tritium lamp in it but it's been months ago... sound familiar to anyone?

There’s another scope that does that, which doesn’t use rings.
    3-12x56 flavor, can’t quite remember the make.

We could make something for sure. Maybe even have it mount straight to a Spuhr??

It would depend on what mount/lighting method to design around.

I keep a stream light nano on my long range pouch. I used some translucent red paint on the bulb.

I know this is an old thread but I’ve had this problem happen at least 2x and it’s a significant issue lol. I hunt out of box blinds and it gets dark inside them in low light. I’ve killed multiple deer right on the edge of visible light and a couple times I went to dial and couldn’t see the numbers on the turret whatsoever. I had to get out my cell phone and use it as a light.

I need to remember to wear my headlamp and have it ready to go on red light. That would be plenty of illumination.

Seems like something could be printed that would hold a glow stick and clip onto a scope and resolve this issue easily no?

Seems like something could be printed that would hold a glow stick and clip onto a scope and resolve this issue easily no?

Would be cool if scope manufacturers figured out how to put a small LED light inside turret and make the numbers and markings translucent. Black turret with white markings during the day and when button is depressed, markings light up in low light.

Would be cool if scope manufacturers figured out how to put a small LED light inside turret and make the numbers and markings translucent. Black turret with white markings during the day and when button is depressed, markings light up in low light.
    Yeah that sounds like it would be do able. Definitely would be cool to have some times indeglow in the scope turret

I had a prototype of a turret light that functioned well, tiny red LED.

Simply too busy right now for it to be responsible to put something out, but in 2023 I'll have something out there. Printed of course, but not consumer grade. No reason to mill this.

I also ran into a low light issue when trying to dial my Vortex Diamondback. I am newer to long range shooting, and typically don’t take deer past 300 yds. But I like to dial for live target until I more comfortable with hold overs.

I am making a prototype in a couple of weeks once I get parts. I doing to solder a CR2032 battery holder to a frosted red LED lift. With some foam seal and self-adhering tape, I am hoping to get a enough light to see the numbers on the turret without giving off too much light.

Simple tritium Beta Light. No batteries needed, you don't need to replenish like a chem light. Don't light up your face:
    Never heard of tritium beta light before but I really like the media. Having a battery was the big flaw with my design for both longevity and weather proofing. My big stick with tritium is the availability. Where can average person get tritium?

I may have to give these another look I have since moved on from the SPUHR mount and went back to rings.

. Get red glow sticks on amazon

I’ve seen both options the turret glow and the bubble level light from iota outdoors. Both leave more to be desired as far as price. My material cost for the the LED option is 8$ per light compared to $80-100 for the other options.

Reactions: Bcamos
    I'm shocked at what a genuine Beta Light costs now.

You can buy a compact tritium key fob for way less and tape or wire it to the side of your scope or stock.

For lighting turret numbers:

OP wanted red:
    ref mini fob.jpg

mini key fob.jpg

For reading your data card:

key fob.jpg

Last edited:
    - and make it so that the light illuminates only the markings on the turret facing towards the rear.

- and make it so that the light illuminates only the markings on the turret facing towards the rear.
    Hear me out…..tiny led only behind the indicator portion/line then make every number and line on turret see through only for the first revolution….could be powered by a CR2023 coin battery that sits in the turret like the illumination battery normally does.

Reactions: rhsc
    Hear me out…..tiny led only behind the indicator portion/line then make every number and line on turret see through only for the first revolution….could be powered by a CR2023 coin battery that sits in the turret like the illumination battery normally does.
    I’m doing something long those line but it’s a external LED that uses a CR2032 battery.

Build off your idea, the light could be a fiber optic or flexible LED that is in the indicator or around the turret it’s self at the base.

I’m doing something long those line but it’s a external LED that uses a CR2032 battery.

Build off your idea, the light could be a fiber optic or flexible LED that is in the indicator or around the turret it’s self at the base.

This is starting to sound like a patent-able idea. You two oughta go for it.