• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small Magnum Pistol primers in place of Small?

cega

Supreme Сasual Dating Verified Females
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
So I have a box of 1000 Federal #200 Small Magnum Pistol primers sitting here and don't reload anything that calls for them. Normally I'd try and trade someone for small pistol or sell them but given that selling and shipping with Haz-Mat fees is stupid I'm trying to figure out if it is worth fiddling with loads for any of my handgun loads to use them up.

I've Googled around and it seems the consensus is to reduce the load and work back up - seems reasonable.

Anyone have any experiences that they can share about substituting like this? Any load data for 9mm, 40S&W?

Thanks.

Re: Small Magnum Pistol primers in place of Small?

Drop down to a starting load and work up. Though the cups might be thicker resulting in light strikes.

I use them in 9mm with bullseye. I dropped back and reworked the load when i ran out of regular SP primers. I ended up right back where i started for charge weight, lower ES, lower SD, and only a 4fps increase in MV over an average of 25 rounds.

Went through this a few years ago...LOL. Unless you are using a very fast powder such as titegrouop. just drop .2 of a grain of powder and keep going. You will see little to no difference.

Even though you did not mention it, some reloaders have used magnum powders in cases like the .38 special for years to insure better ignition in the large case when using light loads or slow burning powders.

Competition shooters have used small rifle primers in the 38 super and 9mm major for a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went through this a few years ago...LOL. Unless you are using a very fast powder such as titegrouop. just drop .2 of a grain of powder and keep going. You will see little to no difference.

Even though you did not mention it, some reloaders have used magnum powders in cases like the .38 special for years to insure better ignition in the large case when using light loads or slow burning powders.

Competition shooters have used small rifle primers in the 38 super and 9mm major for a long time. </div></div>Yup